Advocate

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 09:10 am
No free speech in the Church of the LDS.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/19/us/critical-online-comments-put-church-status-at-risk-mormons-say.html?emc=edit_th_20140619&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=42932133
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2014 09:24 am
Hey A2k friends! My third day as a Buddhist and I am loving life, I do not plan to become an "orthodox Buddhist". Just a few simple changes in the way I think about happiness and harmony. Reincarnation does not really appeal to me nor do most other religions. Though I view life as a cycle I am not obsessed with death. I don't plan to adopt any dark imagery either that has been associated with Buddhism. I just want to walk a better more wholesome enlightened life and that is all I feel I can impact. Peace and love to you friends in your quest to find the middle path. RR
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2014 10:45 am
And dinosaurs wept...
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 11:39 am
Quote:
Quehon said: the whole of christianity is fake!

I like to think I'm a Christian (but only God knows if anybody is), but some of my noisiest opponents in forums call themselves Christians and have said things to me like-
Steve H - "Micks a narrow-minded unchristian unqualified know-nothing silly little man and work-shy racist layabout"
Cymba - "Micks an unchristian aggressive liar showing no fruits of the spirit"
Zeke - "Micks wrong wrong wrong and denies Gods word"
Christian Trucker Pat - "Micks proud,arrogant,self-glorifying, uncharitable,offensive,lacking understanding and talking drivel"
Linda -"Mick's a silly little Brit"
Gloryboundd - "Mick's a senile liar and fool"
Elbown - "Mick you put me off Christianity and i'm a Christian"
SheriNuwine - "Mick you come across as a pervert,do you like cheeky little minxes who play with dollies?"
Sunami - "Mick...the lazy workshy parasite that you are"
"Ghyllie Dhu -"you're a pompous, self-absorbed wingnut who's an embarassment to the faith"
Donbain - " I've got Mick on filter for one very good reason, his intelligence is too low beneath mine to dignify his lewdness with an answer"
Neologist- "Romeo is ignorant, malicious, a fable-spinner, talks drivel, a deceiver, a liar, self-deluded"
Reverend Eric Potts - "You disgust me Mick"

So tell me Quehon, are those 'Christians' right about me or not, or is Satan using their mouths to speak through like ventriloquists dummies ..Wink
Herald

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 01:55 pm
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:
If you call the Discovery Channel (via youtube) and the very words of India's highest caste monks and also the Dalai Lama's very own words in these youtube videos a cross cultural misunderstanding then who would you suggest really knows about Buddhism?

I am not talking about channels & Dalai Lama. You don't know what 'cross cultural misunderstanding is', do you?
Cross cultural misunderstanding is the case when one interprets some culture, or theory, or whatever out of its original immanent context, but rather with his own personal understanding of the world ... and definition of the things.
This is as if to interpret the eating habits in Japan with the western etiquette.
This has nothing to do with channels ... it is about the personal interpretation. You think that you can assess Buddhism with the concepts of Christianity. It is another culture and another attitude and understanding of the world.
In the very same way the so called atheists are thinking that they can judge Christianity ... and deny it without even exhausting the possible interpretations, for they are above the things. They don't humiliate to make interpretations and pass directly to the sentencing.

RexRed wrote:
I agree it is different but it is also the same considering the similarities between Jesus and Buddha.

If the religions are representation of a Board of ILFs, each religion could be interpreted as a typical image of each of them ... and we can even count how many they are - 4, or 5.
I am not saying that it is so, but such interpretation is not implausible.

RexRed wrote:
Book of the dead? ...and no obsession with death? I guess an obsession with death is better than an obsession with causing death.

Have you seen it - the Book of the Dead grants Live - it might be a metaphorical narration of something. So and so you started mixing up the religions, in the Shintoistic understanding of the world Live and Death are one and the same thing. If you accept this you will have no fear of the death ... actually why do you fear of the death ... you have some somatic health problems, or what?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 06:09 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Well, neo is pretty much spot on, though he didn't say all that in one post. He caught you many times.

OK, I did.

Perhaps you are prone to embellish?
OH, perish the thought!
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 06:19 pm
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:

I see only very slight differences between a Buddhist's quest for enlightenment in the Atman and the gnostic Christians quest for eternal life in God.

You seem to be confused about the religion you're studying. The Buddha denied the Atman in a doctrine called anatta. If what you're studying has anything to do with Atman, then it's Hinduism.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 07:41 pm
Quote:
Neologist said: Well, neo is pretty much spot on, though he didn't say all that in one post. He caught you many times.
OK, I did.
Perhaps you are prone to embellish?
OH, perish the thought!

No offence mate but are you rambling? Here are the reference dates of your slanders and false witness against me if you want to look them up, then we can discuss them individually and throw in a discussion of your Jehovah's Witness beliefs for good measure if you like.
If you're spoiling for a fight you've come to the right boy..Wink

"Romeo, in his ignorance.." (Neologist 21 Sep 013
"I am still trying to determine whether or not your intent is malicious" (Neologist 22 Sep 013)
"Romeo Fable Spinner" (Neologist 24 Sep 013)
"..your drivel" (Neologist 24 Sep 013)
"..your desire to deceive" (Neologist 11Nov 2013)
"You are most certainly a racist, Romeo" (Neologist 7 Feb 2014)
"I don't believe you always lie, Romeo; only when it suits you" (Neologist 19 Feb 2014)

Incidentally Neo, you once said about yourself-
"I'm no genius..One of my main reasons for posting here is to sharpen my understanding" (Neologist 21 Sep 013)

so let me give you these few verses to help you sharpen your understanding..Wink-

Jesus said "Thou shalt not bear false witness" (9th Commandment: Matt 19:18 )
"Whoever spreads slander is a fool" (Proverbs 10:18 )
Jesus said:- "Every careless word you speak will be judged" (Matt 12:36)

Now stick out yer chin!
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/punch-x_zpsedb008ce.jpg~original
FBM

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 08:05 pm
The Bible is the claim, not the evidence. Quoting it does nothing.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 08:15 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
. . . . Here are the reference dates of your slanders and false witness against me . . . .
I don't see anything as false, Romeo. Perhaps you could bring up the complete conversations for separate review.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 08:40 pm
Quote:
Neologist said: I don't see anything as false, Romeo. Perhaps you could bring up the complete conversations for separate review.

You can review it yourself with God when you meet him mate, I'm sure he's got a complete logbook of everything you've said..Smile

"And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books.." (Revelation 20:12)

Hey wait a minute, you said- "I'm not aiming for the "pearlies".." (Neologist 23 Sep 013), so I'm not sure you want to meet God after all!
Sigh, trying to figger out your JW beliefs is harder than trying to figger out Abbott and Costello's rules of baseball..Smile
neologist

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2014 08:58 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
The meek shall inherit the earth.(Matthew 5:5)
Where do you think Jesus got that idea?
Was it here:
Quote:
But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth,
And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace (Psalm 37:11)
Is that anything like what Isaiah said:
Quote:
And no resident will say: “I am sick.” The people that are dwelling in [the land] will be those pardoned for their error (Isaiah 33:24)
Of course, Isaiah was merely restating Jehovah's purpose as he stated to Adam and Eve.
Quote:
Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving upon the earth.” (Genesis 1:28)
But you would have us believe God changed his mind, once Adam and Eve sinned. Explain how that could be, please.

Oh, those folks who do go to heaven . . . What do you suppose they will be doing? (Revelation 5:10)
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2014 12:59 pm
Neologist mate, I've told you before I completely reject your Jehovah's Witness beliefs and I've shot them down one by one in the past, heck this forum was like the Battle of Britain!
You JW's believe there'll be a new material earth where we all resurrect to in new fleshly bodies, even though Jesus and Paul said heaven is NOT a material place and that we get SPIRITUAL bodies-
"At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven" (Matt 22:30)

And Paul said-"So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable...it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.. flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God" (1 Cor 15:42-50)

You've called me a fibber, so are you also calling Jesus and Paul fibbers too?
Tut tut...the naughty step..Wink

PS- anyway this discussion is pointless; so just you go on believing what you and your JW chums believe, and I'll go on believing what I believe..Smile
spendius

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2014 01:41 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
All discussions are pointless Romeo in which no new ideas are brought forward.

There are some who will say that all discussion is pointless as a matter of scientific fact in that there is an overarching pointlessness to everything if God does not exist.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2014 02:08 pm
@spendius,
Nevertheless, discussing each others beliefs keep our audiences entertained...Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/audience_zps5244042b.jpg~original

For example you won't find christmas trees, birthday cakes, easter eggs or crucifixes in JW houses because they think they're in some way evil, and they also think Jesus was crucified on a stake, that church spires are phallic symbols, and they ban life-saving blood transfusions, you couldn't make it up..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/JW-beliefsB_zps2f57a26b.jpg~original
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2014 02:31 pm
it is all soo damned ridiculous this Christian religion it is unbelievable.

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/The+Cross.+The+quote+is+from+Bill+Hicks+not+100_ac2dc6_4558194.png

that people take this shite serious is beyond me
Quehoniaomath

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2014 02:33 pm
http://brucegerencser.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/bill-hicks-2.jpg
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2014 02:33 pm
http://static1.quoteswave.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Eternal-suffering-awaits.jpg
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2014 02:34 pm
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-r_t49XzgdJk/UqD4O2_1SKI/AAAAAAAAFjY/tSNw-RSwsGs/s1600/george_carlin_on_religion_by_aatheist-d4vyfb5.jpg
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2014 02:35 pm
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/2f/5d/32/2f5d32963069dd28de5ca813e495b7f4.jpg
0 Replies