Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 09:58 am
Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

People who believe in the barbaric human blood sacrifice of the Triune Jesus/God must believe that the greatest force ever to exist decided that humans, lowly creations whom we are told are infinitely inferior to God, are somehow more important than God’s own life and that he would give it up for believers.

That is like a slave master dying in place of his slave. A rather silly notion to me.

Jesus preached that we should develop a humble character with little self-pride.

How is placing your own life above Triune Jesus/God’s showing a humble character as you think that he would die for you? That is taking self-pride to the maximum.

I think that those with good morals will know that no noble and gracious God would demand the sacrifice of a so called son just to prove it's benevolence.

Yet Christians who think they are moral will believe that God would do such a despicable thing as having his son killed even as scriptures say that God prefers repentance to sacrifice and does not believe in asking or accepting a ransom.

Is thinking that to believe that God would die for you the epitome of an inflated ego?

If not, what could possibly inflate an ego more than that?

Regards
DL
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 30 • Views: 81,073 • Replies: 768

FBM

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 07:08 pm
I guess the flood story got old?
0 Replies

RexDraconis111

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 11:18 am
@Greatest I am,
I'd call it arrogance, rather than egotism. And yes, I think that it is highly arrogant to believe that a supposedly omnipotent being would die for a mere mortal. Realistically, an omnipotent being most likely wouldn't concern themselves with the trials and tribulations of mortals, unless they were very bored. Think of Star Trek's "Q".
dalehileman

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 12:28 pm
@RexDraconis111,
Rex She's not omnipotent; She can't do the impossible
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2013 12:59 pm
@RexDraconis111,
Not to mention goddesses who would seek the opinion of a mortal as to who is the fairest of them all.
0 Replies

count markovalley

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 06:31 pm
Without the Christian Faith all that is pure and sacred would disappear off the earth. Without Christianity mankind would slowly descend into a state of barbarism and eventually all civilization would cease. Everything that man has created would be destroyed and human life itself would take on the form of bestial vegetation.
At some point the earth would orbit the sun devoid of meaning as it did millions of years ago.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2013 03:28 am
@Greatest I am,
Uhhh, "greatest I am"? Seriously, Dude. Is that the best you can do?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2013 03:39 pm
@Greatest I am,
Perhaps Jesus was a "lightning rod" sent to soak up all the longstanding spiritual pollution as he died, to give us all a clean slate?

PS- by the way, Jesus pointed out a number of times that he WASN'T God
Greatest I am

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2014 09:04 am
@RexDraconis111,
RexDraconis111 wrote:

I'd call it arrogance, rather than egotism. And yes, I think that it is highly arrogant to believe that a supposedly omnipotent being would die for a mere mortal. Realistically, an omnipotent being most likely wouldn't concern themselves with the trials and tribulations of mortals, unless they were very bored. Think of Star Trek's "Q".

You see 20/20.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2014 09:09 am
@count markovalley,
count markovalley wrote:

Without the Christian Faith all that is pure and sacred would disappear off the earth. Without Christianity mankind would slowly descend into a state of barbarism and eventually all civilization would cease. Everything that man has created would be destroyed and human life itself would take on the form of bestial vegetation.
At some point the earth would orbit the sun devoid of meaning as it did millions of years ago.

That being the case, how do you explain better morals and ethics where belief is less, and as in the U S where belief is purportedly great, crime and abortions are the highest of the civilized world and shows your view as inaccurate and flat out wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94f2h-5TvbM&feature=player_embedded

Regards
DL
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2014 11:06 am
Who said God died for us?
Jesus wasn't God!
xXxSERVANTxXx

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 08:48 am
@Greatest I am,
No.
JohnBaner01

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 10:10 am
@Greatest I am,
There is an obvious flaw in your argument. Jesus is being humble by dying for our sins. Although it may be symbolic, it shows us that he is selfless. I am not sure why you and people like Richard Dawkins fail to understand this. It's quite simple.
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 05:40 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Who said God died for us?
Jesus wasn't God!

Most who fly the cross say he did but I agree with you.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 05:41 pm
@xXxSERVANTxXx,
xXxSERVANTxXx wrote:

No.

Care to give an argument?

Regards
DL
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2015 06:11 pm
@Greatest I am,
Hypothesis contrary to fact
Jesus is not God
Greatest I am

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2015 11:15 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Hypothesis contrary to fact
Jesus is not God

I agree. Christians will not agree.

Regards
DL
Johnjohnjohn

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2015 06:36 pm
@Greatest I am,
John 1:14
Quote:
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

John 1:1
Quote:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

??
AugustineBrother

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 02:58 pm
@Greatest I am,
It is egotistical for you to thing God must have your views, motivations, and goals. That is egotistical to the point of : Dumb

If God made you in His Image you first have to find out why He did that, then the rest is cooking pasta
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 03:02 pm
@AugustineBrother,
God didn't really die. It was a short sleep. Dying means never to get up again. It's not a sacrifice when they come back to life.