Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2021 06:41 am
@Leadfoot,
"woooo" post. A post that maybe over depends on the metaphysical.

I take my being christian seriously, too.

https://rickladd.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/art_laughingjesus_pb1989.jpg

The article is very good, too. Playboy '72.
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2021 07:04 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Thanks.

Now I wish I’d kept my Playboy collection, would like to finish that article.

I once contemplated writing a letter to them asking that if they ever considered having anything like a 'theology editor/commentator', I’d love to apply for the job.

Admittedly, I didn’t buy the zine just for the articles, I have a weakness for physical beauty, female, male, machine, micro-organisms, etc.

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2021 08:08 am
@Leadfoot,
I was wrong on the date - it's from '69.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Cox

Can't find the article, but I know it's out there. It caused a lot of controversy, particularly, the illustration angered a lot of "Christians"
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2021 01:07 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I wondered how I had missed it. I was in Nam that year.
0 Replies

NealNealNeal

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2021 04:26 pm
@NealNealNeal,
Leadfoot,
There were elders in the "home churches" that could determine matters. Also, there were the apostles and leaders like Timothy.
I acknowledge that all believers are saints.
I don't know the motives of people so I try not to be judgmental. However, I do know that such things as sexual sins are contrary to God' will.
God will be the ultimate Judge. I do not believe that I should "execute judgment" on non-Christians. However, I can state that they are sinning.
Jasper10

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2021 01:46 am
@Jasper10,
In response to the original post question….I would say it is not egotistical to think that a God would die for you, even the Christian God of the bible…no …rather I think that it would be very wise if you let a God die for you.

The problem for the atheists though is that they need to acknowledge a God exists first to enable him to die for them.

They already freely admit that they are fully responsible for all atrocities that have ever happened throughout history having rejected all Gods even the Christian God of the bible, so if there is a God haven’t they already been sentenced …..if a God judges between good and evil?

If there is a devil who rejects God even the Christian God of the bible then he must be rolling around the floor laughing his head off at them…..

I think it is wise therefore to be more open minded……rather than stay stuck in HALF possibility reasonings waiting for definitive proof of deeper questions….one could be waiting for an awful long time….

I think other questions are….why would a God want or need to die for you?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2021 07:36 am
@NealNealNeal,
Quote:
I do not believe that I should "execute judgment" on non-Christians.

Not 'execute judgement' but to judge rightly in your own mind is necessary.

'Judgement' has an undeserved connotation to ‘condemnation' . To judge something good is at least as important as judging something evil. If all your judgement is 'evil', then is when you have a problem with it.
bulmabriefs144

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2021 08:23 am
@Leadfoot,
Or to put this another way, when you stop being concerned with knowledge of good and evil, you are basically no longer acting as a human (sorry, moral relativists).

Most people are capable of making reasonable assumptions of others, neither being paranoid or absurdly trusting. But some things in the name of morality are extremely cruel. I watched this show called Legend of the White Snake, where this monk was like a templar almost, insanely hunting down the character even though she hadn't done anything.

What I often believe in is humanism in its true sense. That is, the goal of religion ought notbe to shackle one with rigid ideals but to cultivate humanity. Apparently this is too much of an imposition for some people, as they go out of their way to condemn even normalcy.
0 Replies

NealNealNeal

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2021 11:51 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
I do not believe that I should "execute judgment" on non-Christians.

Not 'execute judgement' but to judge rightly in your own mind is necessary.

'Judgement' has an undeserved connotation to ‘condemnation' . To judge something good is at least as important as judging something evil. If all your judgement is 'evil', then is when you have a problem with it.

Yes. I definitely agree with that. We make judgments all the time.
I believe that sexual activity should be between a man and woman who are married to each other. However, I will show compassion to homosexuals.

0 Replies