Amanda Berry's desperate 911 call to police

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 10:32 am
Quote:
Castro's defense team may seek to move the trial out of the Cuyahoga County to improve their client's chances for a fair trial, lawyer Craig Weintraub said.
He said Castro is "completely isolated from society" without access to television, radio or newspapers and is under suicide watch in a Cuyahoga County jail cell.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/15/us/ohio-cleveland-kidnapping-case/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

this is not how a civilized democracy treats a condemned man, much less a merely accused man.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 01:18 am
@hawkeye10,
It's America, what do you expect? We can't deport an Islamic terrorist to America because it would breach human rights legislation.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 08:50 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
this is not how a civilized democracy treats a condemned man, much less a merely accused man.

Television is a fundamental civil right of a prisoner?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 10:22 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Television is a fundamental civil right of a prisoner?

the mental torture techniques this government uses on the convicted in the "Super-Max" prisons is a disgrace, but to use this torture on a man who has not been convicted is even worse.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 10:27 am
@hawkeye10,
Wow. It must be terrible to be isolated from society for two whole weeks.

I'll bet it feels like it's already been ten years and like he has duct tape wrapped around his face and a chain around his neck. He's probably starving.

The poor dear.

I'm sure he's seeing his attorneys so he's not completely isolated and it's probably better that he not be reading the news right now. If he were in the general population of the prison he'd most likely be in danger.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 10:30 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Wow. It must be terrible to be isolated from society for two whole weeks.

I'll bet it feels like it's already been ten years and like he has duct tape wrapped around his face and a chain around his neck. He's probably starving.

The poor dear.

I'm sure he's seeing his attorneys so he's not completely isolated and it's probably better that he not be reading the news right now.

we dont want our government to sink to the level of the sadistic animals....or at least I dont.

Quote:
If he were in the general population of the prison he'd most likely be in danger.
explain how allowing him reading materials would put him in danger.
boomerang

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 10:39 am
@hawkeye10,
I agree, we don't.

And I agree that solitary confinement is torturous.

But I think that Castro has contact with people (his attorneys) and that it is probably for his own safety that he is kept out of the general prison population for now.

He would probably be allowed to see family but it doesn't sound like anyone wants to see him.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 10:55 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
I agree, we don't.

And I agree that solitary confinement is torturous.

it is more than solitary confinement...in super max prisoners are never allowed any contact or even sight of other prisoners or the hearing of another prisoner, and are allowed nothing to read other than the bible...the guards are instructed to not say any words around the prisoner unless necessary, they are allowed nothing to occupy their minds and as little human contact as possible because the intent is to torture them mentally.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 12:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
we dont want our government to sink to the level of the sadistic animals....

Depriving a prisoner of cable television hardly qualifies as sadistic.

Nor does failing to provide him with a copy of the New Yorker ...
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 12:29 pm
@Ticomaya,
do you support water- boarding too? Where do you draw the line on torture?
Rockhead

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 12:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
actually, I was okay with waterboarding until I found out that they didn't have cable tv either.

it's criminal I tell ya...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2013 06:39 am
Castro was found hanged in his cell last evening.
chai2

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2013 07:43 pm
@JPB,
I heard that this morning.

I'm totally ok with this outcome.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2013 09:18 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I heard that this morning.

I'm totally ok with this outcome.

think of how much money we would save if we got rid of the death penalty but gave the means to suicide to everyone who had a life term....everybody wins.
0 Replies