Amanda Berry's desperate 911 call to police

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 08:26 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
I don't have any reason at this time to even think she mistrusted the police.

"NO! I need the police here RIGHT NOW!" paraphrased.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 08:29 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
O: strikes me as odd too. Like they kept their hopes up by thinking they were still being searched, and on the news

except that the brainwashing script goes " you might as well stop hoping to be found, everyone has already forgotten about you"

another interesting detail is that she knows exactly how old the alleged perp is...you got to wonder how chummy the relationship became.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 08:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Alongside the euphoria at their salvation is a sense of unease, a feeling that Castro isn’t the only one who might be at fault. Castro’s brazenness may very well have served as a veil. But he also may have benefited from a kind of code of silence or, at a minimum, an unwillingness to point fingers, some suspect.

“I believe a lot of people knew what was going on and now they’re staying quiet because they’re hiding, because if the police find out they knew something, the police will come for them,” said Tomas Rodriguez, 79, a retiree born in Vieques, Puerto Rico.

That’s hard for some to accept. “I don’t know about that,” said Carmelo Negron, a retired construction worker. “How could someone know about something like this and not say something?”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/alleged-captors-of-amanda-berry-gina-dejesus-michelle-knight-likely-to-be-charged-on-wednesday/2013/05/08/8089d950-b7c6-11e2-aa9e-a02b765ff0ea_story.html?hpid=z1

maybe "this" never happened...we should not assume that the victim story is reality at this point.
boomerang

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 09:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
The victims haven't told any story yet.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 10:39 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

the victim story is the one being told by the state and the press....the plot being that victims have been rescued...perhaps, but a good dose of skepticism is warranted.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 01:46 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

You're jerking off to all this, aren't you?

It's telling in that where there is such a cut and dried case, Hawkeye views the rapist kidnappers as victims and the women as up to something.

Have no doubt, he hates women. He'll be petitioning for the release of Joseph Fritzl next.

Makes you wonder what's going on back at his place.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 05:19 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Yes, the victims, the Castro brothers apparently
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 05:33 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

O: in my view you assume too much about how you would react in her situation. They were kids when they got into it. Kids are easily manipulated into believing whatever. You and I (at that young age) included.

I think I have a pretty good idea how I would have reacted to their situation at whatever age, as I'm the one inside my head, and know how I've responded to life in general, from an early age on. I know my history, you don't.

At the very least, I have a much better idea of how I would have reacted than how you think I would have reacted. I can't say how you would have reacted Oliver, so please don't project your ideas about your reaction to what I would have done. Speak for yourself.

As far as mistrusting the police, assuming they did hear them come by.....well, I could see how they may have assumed the police were inept, and didn't follow through. However, thinking someone is inept isn't the same as mistrusting them.

Mistrusting as in now I'm out of the house, in the house across the street, with other people, but somehow because of the police I'm going to end up back in that house momentarily?

In fact in the 911 call, doesn't Amanda keep say "I need the police" and "I need them (the police) now before he gets back"?

Doesn't sound like mistrust to me.
chai2

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 05:49 am
Re this mistrust....

When she got over to the other house, she herself called 911, which, in almost everyone's mind I would think, = police.

She didn't pick up the phone and try to contact family, friends, her lawyer, Santa Claus....she called the police.

She didn't even have the person or people that helped her out of the house do this for her. She called the police herself.

I'm not seeing a lot of confusion on her part as to whom to call for help.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 06:18 am
oh...one other thing.

When we were doing some work/remodeling on our house, we decided to soundproof the back bedroom, to get quality sleep.

Even if the door to the room is left slightly ajar, to let the cats in and out, we can't hear anyone knocking, even banging on the front door. We can't hear oven timers, cell phones, the TV if it's on really loudly in the living room etc.

When we were doing this to the room, I don't recall any of our neighbors peeping out their windows or asking us, or each other "what the deuce are they doing in there?"
Albeit, if someone was standing right outside that room, and shouting "This is the police!" we would hear them, but then again, we weren't soundproofing the room to keep anyone in there. I'll betcha if we wanted it that quiet though, we could have easily made it so. It's not like it's some ultra high dollar project.

chai(there are no ropes or chains in that room, or anywhere in my house)tea
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 08:07 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
chai(there are no ropes or chains in that room, or anywhere in my house)tea

Yeah ... right ...
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 08:07 am
What I'm confounded about is that the two brothers, who I believed lived in the house, were not charged with aiding and abetting their brother.

Radio reports say the women were beaten and raped. Since they were abducted and raped at such a young age (one was reportedly 14), I can imagine how afraid they were at such brutal handling. I don't know if they were tied up or chained, but that would have only increased their fear.

Back to the brothers - surely they knew what was going on - why weren't they charged with something? Even if they didn't live there, if they visited they'd have known SOMEthing.

That is so weird.
boomerang

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 08:39 am
@Mame,
I think it was the women who said that the brothers weren't involved.

If so, I'd take their word for it.
Mame

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 09:00 am
@boomerang,
Yes, but were the brothers aware of what was going on? That's aiding and abetting, is it not?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 09:12 am
The theory that these girls were snatched is just a theory at this point...we don't know that they did not willfully leave home.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 09:32 am
@hawkeye10,
The state and its mouth piece the media's theory of what happened does not pass the sniff test based upon what we know so far. I am waiting for the rest of the story.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 10:37 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
The theory that these girls were snatched is just a theory at this point...we don't know that they did not willfully leave home.

Unbelievable.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 10:39 am
@chai2,
Quote:
At the very least, I have a much better idea of how I would have reacted than how you think I would have reacted. I can't say how you would have reacted Oliver, so please don't project your ideas about your reaction to what I would have done. Speak for yourself.

All I said is: don't assume too much. Nothing more, nothing less. Sorry if that offended you, but that's my opinion and I stick to it. It's very easy to project oneself in a situation and think that one would have done this or that, but it's largely an illusion, IMHO.

Quote:
In fact in the 911 call, doesn't Amanda keep say "I need the police" and "I need them (the police) now before he gets back"? Doesn't sound like mistrust to me.

Good point.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 10:48 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Unbelievable.

Why? One of the girls was never even officially a missing person because it was believed that she disappeared on her own free will, and another was the best friend of the alleged perps daughter..

Assume nothing here.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 06:16 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

All I said is: don't assume too much. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'll assume you mispoke in your haste to type. I do that all the time. No harm, no foul. However, you didn't say don't assume too much, nothing more, nothing less. What you DID say was...

Olivier5 wrote:

in my view you assume too much about how you would react in her situation.

Quite a different thing.