InfraBlue

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 10:16 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
God permits Satan to do to man what he's done. The responsibility is entirely God's.
Some of us understand Satan's permission to have a limit.

But it's permission nonetheless.
neologist

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 10:23 pm
@InfraBlue,
Some of us understand the permission exists for a reason.
And is accompanied by a promise to set things straight.
InfraBlue

Fri 10 Apr, 2015 11:09 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Some of us understand the permission exists for a reason.
And is accompanied by a promise to set things straight.

Sure, but that does not negate the fact that God permits it which is the point being made.
neologist

Fri 10 Apr, 2015 11:26 am
@InfraBlue,
So, you are saying God's standards are inferior to yours?
How would you handle the world situation?
InfraBlue

Fri 10 Apr, 2015 01:13 pm
@neologist,
I'm not referring to standards and their inferiority or otherwise.

I'm responding to your attempt to deflect God's responsibility for what FBM quoted as "dick moves" in the Old Testament and your rationalization that it wasn't God perpetrating the dick moves, it was Satan, according to your theology.

Since God permitted Satan to perpetrate those dick moves, God is responsible for those dick moves.

Now you're backtracking and trying to rationalize your previous rationalization that "it's not God's fault" by saying that these dick moves aren't dick moves at all.
neologist

Fri 10 Apr, 2015 02:30 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Since God permitted Satan to perpetrate those dick moves, God is responsible for those dick moves.
Funny you don't complain about the moves God has allowed Satan to perpetrate on you (and me). We were created to live forever. Instead, we live 70 or 80 years and we croak. That's if we are lucky and don't die of a debilitating and painful disease, possibly in childhood.

Were you to read the Bible with the intent to understand, you would know that everyone who has died in history can live again. Satan has been given time to test his allegations voiced in Genesis, ch 3 and Job 2:4.

You disapprove of the lengthy time allotted? Perhaps you should offer your services to God as chief timekeeper.

You think me heartless because I welcome God's intervention. As for me I will be relieved when Satan will no longer move.
FBM

Fri 10 Apr, 2015 03:30 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

OK, fair enough. How about starting with #1, the bears he sent to kill children?

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/dunno_1.gif
neologist

Fri 10 Apr, 2015 03:33 pm
@FBM,
Would you think it more fair if those children had another chance, but this time for indefinite life?

I'm at Starbucks right now. I can't say more until my heart restarts.
FBM

Fri 10 Apr, 2015 03:45 pm
@neologist,
I'd think it more fair and humane if a god were to find a different way to teach kids a lesson about calling someone a "baldhead." I mean, really. Elisha is walking along and some kids start mocking him. Kids being kids. Elisha says some magical words to the sky and two bears come out and maul 42 of the boys. Yay? Go, god? That's justice? That's a caring, loving, compassionate god? That's an all-powerful deity? That's our heavenly father? That's the only way he could teach those kids a lesson? C'mon, man.
InfraBlue

Fri 10 Apr, 2015 10:28 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Funny you don't complain about the moves God has allowed Satan to perpetrate on you (and me). We were created to live forever. Instead, we live 70 or 80 years and we croak. That's if we are lucky and don't die of a debilitating and painful disease, possibly in childhood.

Were you to read the Bible with the intent to understand, you would know that everyone who has died in history can live again. Satan has been given time to test his allegations voiced in Genesis, ch 3 and Job 2:4.

You disapprove of the lengthy time allotted? Perhaps you should offer your services to God as chief timekeeper.

You think me heartless because I welcome God's intervention. As for me I will be relieved when Satan will no longer move.

Keep your red herrings for yourself. I'm not interested. The point isn't about the dead living again, about time allottted, etc. It's about God and his dick moves through Satan. You're a-okay with it. They're still dick moves.

The rationalization that an omnipotent being needs to test anyone's or anything's allegations because this selfsame being chooses not to employ his capability of omniscience is patently absurd.

It's the storytelling of children--or that of the mythopoeic mind.
InfraBlue

Fri 10 Apr, 2015 10:29 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

I'd think it more fair and humane if a god were to find a different way to teach kids a lesson about calling someone a "baldhead." I mean, really. Elisha is walking along and some kids start mocking him. Kids being kids. Elisha says some magical words to the sky and two bears come out and maul 42 of the boys. Yay? Go, god? That's justice? That's a caring, loving, compassionate god? That's an all-powerful deity? That's our heavenly father? That's the only way he could teach those kids a lesson? C'mon, man.

Ohhh, so your morality is above God's? Well, isn't that special!
neologist

Sat 11 Apr, 2015 12:19 am
@InfraBlue,
Well, it is not God who demands the test.
And God is under no obligation to know the outcome.
But He has set the time

We may not like the time
But, unlike you, I will not fault God for doing what is necessary to save our sorry asses.

You should apply for an advisory position.
FBM

Sat 11 Apr, 2015 05:36 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

FBM wrote:

Not special, at all. 99% of the people I've ever met have never committed infanticide, genocide, torture, etc etc. And I used to work in a prison.
InfraBlue

Sat 11 Apr, 2015 10:15 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Well, it is not God who demands the test.
And God is under no obligation to know the outcome.
But He has set the time

We may not like the time
But, unlike you, I will not fault God for doing what is necessary to save our sorry asses.

You should apply for an advisory position.

You believe in an omnipotent being who has put aside his capacity of omniscience to indulge a lesser being.

Your ideas are risible.

Advising your God would be as futile as advising you.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Sat 11 Apr, 2015 10:21 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

FBM wrote:

Not special, at all. 99% of the people I've ever met have never committed infanticide, genocide, torture, etc etc. And I used to work in a prison.

But according to Neo's morality, God commits these things by proxy as a means to an end. The means justify the ends.
FBM

Sat 11 Apr, 2015 10:29 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

But according to Neo's morality, God commits these things by proxy as a means to an end. The means justify the ends.

Did you mean that the ends justify the means?

I'd like to see what ends are being served by having babies born with severe birth defects, babies who suffer intractably their whole lives because of it. I still haven't gotten a concrete response to that one. Looks like we're heading towards the "works in mysterious ways" answer.
InfraBlue

Sun 12 Apr, 2015 04:23 pm
@FBM,
Yes, the ends justify the means in neo's theology.

It's so that man's free will can play out and in the end God can see who followed him and who followed Satan.

That's why he blinds himself to the future.
FBM

Sun 12 Apr, 2015 04:59 pm
@InfraBlue,
I don't get the connection between free will and birth defects like spina bifida.
InfraBlue

Sun 12 Apr, 2015 07:15 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

I don't get the connection between free will and birth defects like spina bifida.

Like with Job, it's a test that neo's God allows Satan to preform on humanity to see who remains faithful to God in light of the dick moves.
FBM

Sun 12 Apr, 2015 07:39 pm
@InfraBlue,
So this god is testing the parents' faith by giving them a deformed baby. Nice. I'm not seeing much to worship there.