Sun 17 Feb, 2013 11:50 am
How do i know God is real? I'm sure many people have been asking themselves this. I'm only 15 years old. Some might say that's too early of an age to actually "believe" in any God, but i choose to. I noticed a change in myself after becoming Agnostic and hanging out with about 4 Satanists. I quickly saw myself going towards the "Dark Side" and Satan became more of a idol to look up to. I have ADHD and iv'e been taking Aderall for it. It help me think about what "higher power" is actually out there. My friends base everything on science, but i still have alot of questions regarding space and the earth itself. Big Bang theory seems like a complete rumor. It just doesn't make sense, who created all of space and everything that we see in space? More space matter and star dust? I need some answers. I ready The Bible last night, till about chapter 2. (Old Testament) and it just doesn't seem logical. Why is this "God" creating us and earth? For what purpose? Was "He" sent here to make earth and everything all around us? Who created God, and who created the God before him? Why is "God's" name "God"? I pray but hear no answer. What do i do? What should i believe?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 45 • Views: 27,520 • Replies: 369
Topic Closed

edgarblythe

Sun 17 Feb, 2013 11:55 am
0 Replies

Ragman

Sun 17 Feb, 2013 01:15 pm
@Groomers123,
I'm not dieing/dying to find out!
0 Replies

Advocate

Sun 17 Feb, 2013 01:42 pm
How can there be a god when a child starves to death every five seconds?
timur

Sun 17 Feb, 2013 02:03 pm
@Advocate,
Because, according to the bible, god is merciless, jealous and vengeful.
Groomers123

Sun 17 Feb, 2013 02:10 pm
@timur,
If God was loving, why would he be those things?
timur

Sun 17 Feb, 2013 02:13 pm
@Groomers123,
I'm not saying that he is such things, I'm citing the bible.

Why would you think that god is loving?
ThatNerd

Sun 17 Feb, 2013 02:19 pm
@Groomers123,
You're not to young to ask these questions. I would look around in the internet. Watch movies at youtube and try to figure out what you believe.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Sun 17 Feb, 2013 02:41 pm
@Groomers123,
Quote:
How do i know God is real?
Clearly you don't; though as I will point out, Her existence could be a semantic issue; that is, depending on your def of "Real"

Quote:
I'm sure many people have been asking themselves this.
Billions

Quote:
I'm only 15 years old. Some might say that's too early of an age to actually "believe" in any God, but i choose to.
Okay

Quote:
….. the "Dark Side"…... and iv'e been taking Aderall for it. It help me think about what "higher power" is actually out there.
What an interesting effect

Quote:
…..alot of questions…... Big Bang theory seems like a complete rumor. It just doesn't make sense,
It makes a lot of sense to many scientistxs

Quote:
who created all of space and everything that we see in space?
Matter and space weren't created, they (She) always existed. Avoids all sorts of contradiction, paradox

Quote:
……. I read The Bible last night…….and it just doesn't seem logical.
Many of us react that way. It makes more sense if we assume it isn't literal but allegorical, metaphorical

Quote:
Why is this "God" creating us and earth?
Creation is an ongoing process. She is a natural phenom and all the activity She endorses is natural also, cause and effect

Quote:
For what purpose?
Gro that's really a good q bercause the Megillah seems absolutely pointless without us humanoids

Quote:
Was "He" sent here to make earth and everything all around us?
Not sure what you mean by "He." She is All, and it's meaningless to assert that She was sent somewhere

Quote:
Who created God,
As I said, She wasn't created. She is expressed in the continual process of Big Bang, Big Show (now), Big Expansion, Big Crunch; Big Bang, Big Show……….. forever

Now let's ask whether She really exists: On the scale of abstraction with the concrete (say, a sidewalk) at the left end and Her at the Right or transcendental extreme (Gro, forgive the puns), most of us feel we have to have to draw a line where it's real to the left and non-existent to the right

Quote:
and who created the God before him?
N/A of course

Quote:
Why is "God's" name "God"?
That's the name some humanoids gave her

Quote:
I pray but hear no answer.
Prayer is She (or part of Her) talking to Herself. Thus you do hear an answer, every time, but you assume it's just yourself, thinking

Quote:
What do i do?
Listen carefully to really smart people; read a whole lot. Study Zen

Quote:
What should i believe?
Whatever seems reasonable
0 Replies

dalehileman

Sun 17 Feb, 2013 02:48 pm
@Advocate,
Quote:
How can there be a god when a child starves to death every five seconds?
Ad, that's really a good q. The answer is, She cannot do the impossible. In order to breed humanoids She needs a large spherical rock, full of cracks, orbiting at 17,000 mph a somewhat instable hydrogen bomb. Thus inevitable volcanoes, storms,, destruction, starvation, disease, pan, suffering, war
0 Replies

fresco

Sun 17 Feb, 2013 03:05 pm
@Groomers123,
Quote:
What should i believe ?

My advice is never to ask that question because nobody has the answer and beware anybody who claims they do.
If you are a reader, there are many books about understanding human existence which can help you develop your own opinions. I will only suggest one which I found helpful to me, Siddhartha by Hesse, but no doubt other members will recommend others.

http://www.classicly.com/read-siddhartha-online-free
FOUND SOUL

Sun 17 Feb, 2013 03:29 pm
@Groomers123,
It's better that you believe in God, than idolizing Satan and hanging out with 4 Satanists at 15 years of age... An active mind can be lead astray in beliefs, thoughts and actions... Stick with friends that base things on science and those that base things on a God, they both may be real and make sense..

What to believe?

Believe in yourself up-most. See what happens from there.
0 Replies

Groomers123

Sun 17 Feb, 2013 03:49 pm
@timur,
Because that is what i hear from so many people. When i was 11-13 i would go to church, and the pastor/priest guy was saying that he was loving.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Mon 18 Feb, 2013 12:26 am
Chances are you will never know in this life whether God is real; the best you can hope for is belief. Don't spend time on attempted "proofs" of God's existence, because they will probably leave you cold.

My two favorite poetic arguments for believing in God against all the rational arguments you hear to the contrary are Anna Karenina and The Brothers Karamazov. (In general, I love all those old novels by Russians about all their crises of faith.)

At the end of it remember that your "God" doesn't have to be a Christian.
Setanta

Mon 18 Feb, 2013 03:46 am
@Groomers123,
You don't know if god is real--but if the thought that there is a god comforts you, and does not lead down strange, dangerous paths, why would you care? A "relationship" with god is about faith, not proof. For my part, if you're not hurting anyone and you're not attempting to impose on others, then not only is there no reason for it to be anyone else's business, but it can been seen as a positive thing.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Mon 18 Feb, 2013 01:09 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
What should i believe ?

Quote:
My advice is never to ask that question because nobody has the answer and beware anybody who claims they do.
Oh Fres for what it's worth (admittedly not much hereabout) you're absolutely wrong. Though we can't come up with absolute answers we can dance around the subject, we hope imparting insight

Or Fres are you suggesting it's just us he shoujldn't ask

dalehileman

Mon 18 Feb, 2013 01:15 pm
@Kolyo,
Quote:
At the end of it remember that your "God" doesn't have to be a Christian.
Kolyo you've made my entire day

See there Gro, contrary to what Fres says in #….. 062 above
0 Replies

fresco

Mon 18 Feb, 2013 01:29 pm
@dalehileman,
He is talking about "religious belief" which as an atheist I consider to be at best a psychological palliative, and at worst a pernicious social force. However I am magnanimous enough, I hope, not to promote my atheism but to suggest that he should a remain free agent who may learn answers from the searches of others. Hence my reference which describes such a search.
timur

Mon 18 Feb, 2013 01:44 pm
Groomers123 wrote:
Because that is what i hear from so many people. When i was 11-13 i would go to church, and the pastor/priest guy was saying that he was loving.

You don't have to listen to people, they have their own stances that suit best their interests.

Look inside your heart what is better for you but use your mind too.

Check, analyse and then decide..
0 Replies

dalehileman

Mon 18 Feb, 2013 02:48 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
…..."religious belief"….. at best a psychological palliative, and at worst a pernicious social force.
I'm sure that some of us Fres might disagree. Myself I'm not sure: Maybe it has done a whit more good than ill

Quote:
suggest that he should a remain free agent who may learn answers from the searches of others.
Yea Fres, not to become a victim of cause and effect like so many of us (me anyhow)