FBM

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 07:03 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

What a tricky god...covered his/her/its tracks.

Sadistic bastid, too, using its super-powers to hide from us mere mortals, then demanding that we believe despite lack of evidence or burn in hell for all eternity. If that god really did exist, I'd tell it to go **** itself. I have more compassion than that, and I'm a garden variety asshole.
0 Replies

FBM

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 07:11 am
ContraTodo wrote:

God just is. God came from absolutley nothing, that is what I said at first.
That is why He is God in the first place.
He created everything in such a way to not only experience NOT being God, but to also prove that He indeed came from absolutely nothing.
Even if we cause Him to not exist anymore, He would just come back, evident by His life as Christ; His death and resurrection.
That the universe 'just is' is pretty much how to understand Steven Hawkings theory. But it is God who just is.

The universe just is. The universe came from absolutely nothing, that is what I'm saying now.
That is why it is the universe in the first place.
Yada yada yada.

The question is about evidence, not fantasical, bald assertions that can't be tested or verified. Faith is for the weak of mind. Man up.
0 Replies

FBM

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 07:24 am
What evidence do you have that the Bible's claims about a supernatural, invisible, undetectable, omnisicient, omnipresent thing in the sky actually exists? I'm not too keen on abandoning common sense and empirical evidence in favor of Bronze Age mythology thought up by a bunch of illiterate goat herders who thought genocide and slavery were good to go.
0 Replies

FBM

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 07:32 am
Fail. Hawking is an avowed atheist. Try again. What evidence do you have for your god?
0 Replies

FBM

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 07:35 am
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/best-stephen-hawking-quotes-9.png
Ragman

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 07:36 am
@FBM,
There 'ya go again - trying to make sense and use logic to someone that don't speak that sort of language.
FBM

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 07:39 am
@Ragman,
It's a weakness of mine. I'll get over it someday.
0 Replies

FBM

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 07:44 am
Using the Bible as evidence to support the claims made in the Bible is circular reasoning. Google it. What real evidence do you have?
0 Replies

FBM

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 07:46 am
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/tumblr_me1pfhfMQS1r7qpeho6_r1_1280.jpg
0 Replies

FBM

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 07:50 am
Hawking thinks the Bible is bullshit. What does quoting the Bible do to support the claims made in the Bible? Nothing. Circular reasoning. You apparently didn't look it up.
0 Replies

FBM

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 08:02 am
Again, referencing the Bible to support the veracity of the Bible is logically flawed. Please do better next time.
0 Replies

FBM

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 08:03 am
ContraTodo wrote:

Steven himself uses circular reasoning.
Steven went against his own evidence (of the big bang) to then claim that the universe 'just is.' If you can accept Stevens research, you can accept that God just is. I see no quotes from the Bible in what i just said.

There is no circular reasoning in Hawking's statements. Please look up the definition of circular reasoning. It's easy.
0 Replies

neologist

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 12:17 pm
Welcome to a2k.
ContraTodo wrote:
. . . However, God DID experience all three as Christ. . .
Interesting, particularly at this time of the year. Christ died on the Passover, which started after sundown and was remembered on April 3 (in 2015). He was resurrected after 3 days and 3 nights.

So who resurrected him? Did he resurrect himself? If so, then do you assert he was not really dead? To whom did he pray?

This is a fun place, but not very welcoming for believers. You should have all your ducks in a row if you expect to be taken seriously.
0 Replies

neologist

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 12:36 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
There is no problem with the concept of either the universe or a god being eternal. The problem is with the lack of evidence for this or any god.
Are you expecting epistemological certainty?
When it comes to cosmological and theological considerations, is not naive realism the default starting point? A cause for the first event? An absurdity when we consider that our minds seem to be hard wired to consider time as indefinite in both past and future.
God always was, or
Energy always was, or
Was Isaiah on to something when he referred to God as the source of energy? (Isaiah 40:26)
FBM

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 05:33 pm
ContraTodo wrote:

Quote:

Circular reasoning (Latin: circulus in probando, "circle in proving"; also known as circular logic) is a logical fallacy in which the reasoner begins with what they are trying to end with

Begin with Nothing, then God, is what i'm saying.
Begin with Nothing, then the universe is what Steven says.
(however there is clear scientific evidence of a 'bang' at one point)

DNA is evidence that someone/or something 'coded' things, so I think there is an intellegent creator.

DNA is evidence for genetic evolution via natural selection. If you posit a god behind that, you need to provide unequivocal evidence to support your claim. Otherwise, your posts are so much Jim McMahon telling me that I may have already won the Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes. Straight to the recycle bin. Ho hum.
0 Replies

FBM

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 05:37 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

FBM wrote:
There is no problem with the concept of either the universe or a god being eternal. The problem is with the lack of evidence for this or any god.
Are you expecting epistemological certainty?
When it comes to cosmological and theological considerations, is not naive realism the default starting point? A cause for the first event? An absurdity when we consider that our minds seem to be hard wired to consider time as indefinite in both past and future.
God always was, or
Energy always was, or
Was Isaiah on to something when he referred to God as the source of energy? (Isaiah 40:26)

Asking for evidence isn't the same as either demanding epistemological certainty or naive realism. Asking for evidence is just asking for evidence. You can't even rent a car without evidence that a) you can drive and b) that you can pay for it. The nature of the universe is a bit bigger issue and asking for evidence is a commonsense response to any claim regarding it. Again, quoting the Bible to convince someone that the Bible's claims are true is circular reasoning and a waste of effort.
neologist

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 07:24 pm
@FBM,
Well, I am always ready to present the same sort of anecdotal and circumstantial evidence that provided justification for our ancestors.

The Bible was not written as a scientific treatise. It was written so the least sophisticated of us might understand God's purpose. That it has been obfuscated by priests and the powerful is not the fault of God, for it has always been possible for those willing to search to find the truth.
FBM

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 07:31 pm
@neologist,
Sorry, but I can't measure any useful attributes of anecdotal and/or circumstantial evidence. Also, there is no lack of anecdotal or circumstantial evidence for competing claims regarding non-Abrahamic gods, spirits, etc. It just doesn't help.
neologist

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 07:59 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
Sorry, but I can't measure any useful attributes of anecdotal and/or circumstantial evidence. Also, there is no lack of anecdotal or circumstantial evidence for competing claims regarding non-Abrahamic gods, spirits, etc. It just doesn't help.
as I wrote:
. . . it has always been possible for those willing to search to find the truth.
FBM

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 08:06 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

FBM wrote:
as I wrote:
. . . it has always been possible for those willing to search to find the truth.

But I did the searching already and found a plethora of reasons to doubt. I started out as an ardent believer. Studying the history of the Bible in university, in a class taught by a faithful Baptist minister no less, is what convinced me that it's much, much, much more likely that the religious claims made therein were made up. Not that that closed my mind about, though. I still keep my eyes peeled for genuine evidence to the contrary, but faith is out.