45

How do i know God is real?

HesDeltanCaptain

0  
Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 11:11 am
@neologist,
That you believe people can become rabbits is interesting. Love to get you on my couch Smile

Tell me about your relationship with your mother. Smile
neologist

1  
Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 11:18 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
HesDeltanCaptain wrote:
That you believe people can become rabbits is interesting.
Actually, I thought you believed you could become a rabbit
HesDeltanCaptain wrote:
Love to get you on my couch Smile
That is frightening. I also majored in psych.
HesDeltanCaptain wrote:
Not surprised that is the first question you would ask. . . Laughing

vansdad

1  
Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 10:43 pm
@FBM,
What if someone's "heart" tells them that there is no god? Or that Ganesh is the real one? People's "hearts" have come up with a lot of wild crap throughout history. I'd rather trust someone's brain.

If your heart tells you there is no God that is fair. But the brain if often tricked
FBM

2  
Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2015 11:02 pm
@vansdad,
Seems to me it's the brain that's led by evidence, and the heart that's more easily fooled, led astray by desires. Desiring something to be so doesn't make it so.
Leadfoot

-1  
Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 08:34 am
@FBM,
But quantum physics tells us that just observing is enough to make it so. Just think how powerful desiring is by comparison.
FBM

3  
Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2015 05:30 pm
@Leadfoot,
Let's put that to the test:

I desire a round square and a 4-sided triangle.

Waiting....nada.

Let's give it another shot:

I desire a pink unicorn that speaks Swahili...

Waiting....hmm. There seems to be some sort of flaw in your hypothesis about desire.
Leadfoot

1  
Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 09:27 am
@FBM,
Yeah, I know, life's a bitch. And looking in the box won't bring a dead cat back to life either :-)
FBM

2  
Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 05:38 pm
@Leadfoot,
And fantasizing about an invisible, all-powerful sky-daddy who's going to take you to eternal paradise doesn't make it come true, no matter how bad you want it. No matter how afraid you are of a reality without it.
Leadfoot

1  
Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 05:52 pm
@FBM,
No matter how afraid you are of a reality without it.

I'm AC/DC there, I could take it either way :-)

How about you? How afraid of a reality with it are you?
I don't mean the threat of hell, eternal torture and that sort of tripe.
I mean the radical change of mind set that it would require.
It works both ways you know...
FBM

2  
Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 05:57 pm
@Leadfoot,
Been there, done that. Grew up in it. I was really comforted by the notion. Was studying to be an Episcopal priest. But after studying the Bible in university, I realized that the odds of it being true are less than that of me winning the lottery without buying a ticket.
neologist

0  
Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 06:02 pm
@FBM,
Did you actually get to study the bible, or were you just being fed what the "theologians" told you about the bible?
FBM

1  
Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 06:04 pm
@neologist,
Both.

Leadfoot

1  
Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 06:24 pm
@FBM,
@Leadfoot,

And it shows. It is hard making the transition in either direction and after succeeding, it gets increasingly difficult to change your mind. You are defending your current position at least as well as your previous one. Not being critical, that is as it should be.
FBM

1  
Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 06:53 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

What would change my mind is evidence. My current position is that there is no credible evidence for a divine creator, and I refuse to engage in the intellectual dishonesty that is faith.
Johnjohnjohn

0  
Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 07:06 pm
@FBM,
Maybe if you seek him accepting his son instead of seeking to prove that he doesn't exist he will show you his existence

Or

http://youtu.be/huIZhzysknI
FBM

1  
Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 07:08 pm
@Johnjohnjohn,
I'm not trying to disprove anything. I'm waiting for someone to show some credible evidence to support the god hypothesis.
Johnjohnjohn

0  
Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 07:34 pm
@FBM,
Watch the video
Banana Breath

1  
Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2015 07:39 pm
"God is the infinite part of this complete breakfast."
http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/40444/file-14008894-jpg/images/breakfast2-resized-600.jpg

FBM

1  
Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2015 07:16 am
@Johnjohnjohn,
Johnjohnjohn wrote:

Watch the video

Pass. Unless you can guarantee that it contains genuine, credible evidence to support that god hypothesis, and not just more rhetoric and fallacies.

Leadfoot

1  
Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2015 07:38 am
@FBM,
@Johnjohnjohn,

A scientist does not wait for someone to bring credible evidence. He actively looks for it.