A2K Fantasy Baseball Is Back! 2013 Version

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 03:07 pm
@realjohnboy,
I found out I can't get it - it's my recent failure to obtain the latest adobe flash.
(long story involving that my computer is probably too old, can't be upgraded past where it is [that was one notice] and that I no longer have my computer password after the last guru was here. I thought he gave it to me, but it didn't work in my efforts with Aflash. I'm not interested in reinstalling my original (2005-2006 disc) as advised by adobe. I finally found the guru's phone number [I filed it wrong], but couldn't pay him to futz with this until April.)

So - - - - it is my firm hope that I can get my list to count without my participating in the draft.

edit - of course, the yahoo ranks may be better than my list.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 03:10 pm
@Ragman,
Yes...RJB is correct...if you plan on being able to participate in the live draft then you do not need to rank anyone and when you are drafting you can pick anyone you want when it is your pick...and the computer will not auto pick anyone unless your time runs out for a pick...Just like the mock draft was...my above post is if you can not make the draft....

And another tip, is if you can not make the draft...when you go to pre-rank your players...I would suggest you go father than the top 50 players, and top 100 players because that is only 5 or 10 players per team and our rosters are set for probably around 15-20 players per team counting bench spots...

Whenever I have to pre-rank a team...I set the pre-rankings to the top 500 players in baseball, and go though the top 200 or 250...and then import the last half of the top 500 default rankings...
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 03:15 pm
@ossobuco,
I do not think you would have to do that Osso...I think if you install Google Chrome, if you do not have it...Or any advanced browser...that has all the installation add-ons auto built in...It has all the javascripts and such and should work for you with no problem...

I have done that many times before with different websites...
ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 03:21 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Thank you, Spades, I'll try that. Tomorrow morning, when I'll better be able to sustain the blow of my computer going black when I try it.

My ex used to say, never call anyone with bad news at night, and I'll extend that to mid afternoon for trying stuff that might clog baby old mac's brain pan.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 03:34 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
We reached 10 players with the addition of Ragman. I sent out pm's last night to a few other people but I am not expecting much. I won't pursue anyone else but Rhys did set the league for 12 players. 10 works just fine in my mind.

Returning players should note that Rhys tweaked the rules based on suggestions. He added a couple of scoring categories (doubles, for example) and dropped the 2nd Catcher position. I am not sure whether or not the changes favor a roster that is tilted towards hitters vs pitchers.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 03:41 pm
@ossobuco,
One more thing...If you operating system is not XP or higher...I do not think that certain browsers would work...In that case download the sun java download and it should work also...
ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 04:24 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I have an older mac, brought up to 10.6.8, as far as it will go. I take it from some comments that it won't accept the latest adobe foo. So it goes.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 04:35 pm
@realjohnboy,
Yes mate thanks...I have seen this...and have given my input a couple of times...and I think I may suggest one more pitching category to try to balance it out just a bit more...and see if everyone likes the idea or not...I was figuring since we have saves, and blown saves, and have holds, we could also add blown holds...but I am not sure how many would want to add this category...I will post it on the league today or tomorrow...
ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 04:37 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I never thought of blown holds. I'm neither for or against them - but I think it shifts focus at this point.
On the other hand, it's interesting.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 04:39 pm
@ossobuco,
OK...I do not know much about Mac's honestly...But see if you can download Safari Browser...that is the most advanced for Mac's...If it can not...then see if you can get a browser a bit less advanced like Mozilla/Firefox...because I am positive it runs on all different platforms but not sure about Mac's but I bet it can...and I know it has a custom java installation...Or it auto downloads it as well...
ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 04:41 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I have the latest safari I can get on my computer.

Thanks for the effort, though.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 04:45 pm
@ossobuco,
I just checked, you can get Chrome, Safari, and Mozilla/Firefox for Mac's...If both chrome and Safari are too much...then I know it will work with Firefox because I have done many drafts with that browser...

Just make sure to download the browser for your computer, and make sure java downloads, if it does not...you can re-install it and go into custom and add the java add on...
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 04:47 pm
@ossobuco,
OK Osso...So sorry
ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 04:50 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I need to talk with the guru anyway, but can't do it until past the draft date on this. I'm just glad I found his number again. He is smart, kind to the stupid, and not expensive, can drop by my house, as it's on his way home - I like him.
I recommend him when I can, but my contacts in Abq are not that many, so as to ramp up his own business.

I need to nurse baby mac along.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 04:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Ha Ha Ha..nurse baby mac along...I like it! Wink Very Happy
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 05:47 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
My draft strategies usually come unglued when the order of picking is revealed before the draft. With one exception I have gone 7th to 14th in football and 6th to 10th in baseball. How do you deal with that in the ranking of players?
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 06:05 pm
@realjohnboy,
I am not sure if I fully understand...but you are asking me what strategies I use if I get one of those draft positions? I honestly think that being in the middle is very good...Or either end...unless there are say 14 teams or more and then the back end is not really good...because you will get first or second picks in alternate rounds, but you lose out a lot in that first round...

I usually go one batter, one pitcher, one batter, one pitcher...Unless there is a great bat or pitcher out there, and I will take 2 in a row...I never draft high closers, unless I wanted to grab Kimbrel, but then I will not draft closers for awhile...

I map out all the closers at the start of the season...and I grab a couple solid ones, and then I grab 2 that will get saves but may not have great stats...because all you are taking them for is the saves...

I usually always go for pitchers who have low era's, and almost 1 K per inning...I try to stay away from high whip's...but most k guys may be wild and have higher whips...

I do not pay a ton of attention to wins...because if I think my pitchers may not get that many...I will just make sure I grab another reliable arm in the middle of the draft...

Most leagues it pays to always go for bats and not arms, because a solid bat will give you usually 4 categories...and you can get bench guys for SB's...all pitchers will only give you a max of 3, since SP do not get saves...In standard formats...

But in my opinion, it is also hardest to have good pitching if you do not grab at least 2 or 3 really good arms...because pitching is the hardest to predict...

I usually never pay much attention to the SB category...that and saves are the most over rated stat...and if I am lacking in either...I will grab a ham and egg closer...And I will grab a free agent who does nothing but runs to try to grab a couple of points, or always keep me in the hunt for the league match-ups...

I get a feel for who I want to take when it is 3 spots before mine, and I always try to find an alternative in case they are taken...and I judge how good I think each player will do by looking over what they have done in the last 2 seasons...
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 07:22 pm
Good, I am outside the city and could not make the draft!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 07:26 pm
@fbaezer,
really --- oh, no...
We could possibly put off the draft date..

I need you to grumble at, baez. You keep me honest.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 09:46 pm
@ossobuco,
A familiar story, this time of year: I will be coaching in a soccer tournament next weekend, and may not be able to make the live draft, depending on scheduling. But that's okay.