Overbearing Feline Supervisor

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 02:16 am
Without fail, every time I clean the litter box, my cat feels the need to closely supervise my performance.

Why is this?
Does he not trust in my ability to do it properly?
How many times do I have to do it before he grants me some autonomy in my work?
Is this his way of telling me that my job performance has been lacking?
Does he think micro-managing is an effective strategy for improving my performance?
What am I doing wrong?

All responses welcome. I'm pretty desperate at this point!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 6,964 • Replies: 73

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 02:27 am
@MattDavis,
He's just being a cat.

They are very curious.

You need to get used to it already!

Mine supervise me when I am cleaning....or using...MY TOILET! You are being let off lightly.

Welcome.
Roberta

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 02:28 am
@MattDavis,
Is the cat being bossy? Or is he just watching?

MattDavis

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 03:41 am
@Roberta,
Well I definitely detect an air of superiority, and he sometimes helps out by scratching at the box while I work at removing his waste.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 03:45 am
@dlowan,
Thanks for the welcome! Very Happy
Yeah... he definitely is a cat.
He also likes to supervise the work I do on the toilet.
I don't know about getting off lightly.
Does your cat insist on having the bathroom sink filled up in order to drink water from it?
Mine does.
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 05:28 am
@MattDavis,
Good lord no....I have a special glass for the feline overlords kept eternally filled beside the bathroom sink.
Roberta

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 07:35 am
@dlowan,
Feh. Stale water. When my late, lamented Miranda wanted water from the sink, she would vocalize until I came running and turned on the faucet for her. Your cats are wusses. Willing to drink stale water.
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 09:03 am
@Roberta,
Wusses?! They're delinquents!
Roberta

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 10:06 am
@dlowan,
OK. Wussy delinquents.

I bought a fountain for Mikey. Constantly running water. He drank the water when I first put it in. Then he ignored it. The water has to be fresh.
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 10:10 am
we had a cat named Max who watched us enough to know that if he pushed on the shiny metal thing, water would come out of the other shiny metal thing.
He got very good at juuuussst turning it on.

Joe(never tried to shut the damned thing off)Nation
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 01:00 pm
@MattDavis,
I think many of the problems in our relationship might boil down to some conflicting desires he is trying to reconcile.
For instance:
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/first-world-cat-problems-bite.jpeg
Rockhead

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 01:03 pm
@MattDavis,
stinky always starts to lick me first.

then if I'm not paying attention to the signs, I get eaten...

I suppose he wants to make sure I still taste good.

MattDavis

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 02:46 pm
@Rockhead,
Yeah, I gotta watch for that tail flicker with Munkin.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 03:12 pm
Matt, welcome!

That cat behaviour seems normal. If you just do as you're told, every time, and pay attention, you shouldn't have too many problems!
Lola

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 03:20 pm
@MattDavis,
Quote:
I think many of the problems in our relationship might boil down to some conflicting desires he is trying to reconcile

Very psychoanalytic. And also possible, as long as we keep it to feelings..........only I think some cats do actually think. No doubt non-human animals feel, that's clear. However, if cats have actual ideas, what would be frontal lobe activity in a human, I don't know.

I once had a dog named, Tex, of course. He was the smartest dog I've ever known. He would sneak out the door at every possible opportunity (and he was very good at finding these opportunities because I was diligent in not giving them to him). Then he would jump into the swimming pool and swim around in the middle, where he thought I wouldn't be able to come and get him.

One day, I surprised him. He did his evil deed when I had just come home. I was wearing all cotton that day and had little to loose. So I dropped my purse on the floor and kicked off my shoes and jumped into the pool, dragging him out by his collar.

But it didn't cure him of course, he knew I wouldn't do it most of the time.

Maybe this isn't a good example. But it still seems to be possible evidence that should be considered on the question.
Diane

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 06:37 pm
@MattDavis,
Welcome, Matt. I am an old a2ker who doesn't post much anymore, but I love to see nice newcomers to our group.

I have to keep a few secrets about cats from my Jack Russell terrier mix in order to keep her innocent belief that, someday, she will catch the cat who visits our next door neighbor. Said cat, Tulip, a lovely little tuxedo cat, will saunter along our six foot tall backyard wall.

Tulip discovered, almost immediately, that Sally will never be able to jump to the top of the wall. Having the same genetic makeup enjoyed by most cats, she is overbearing, supervisory and superior to every other animal in the universe....as long as she has an audience. She soon started to bathe when she was halfway along the wall, luxuriating in long, leisurely baths knowing that Sally, poor, sweet little Sally, would try her best to jump to the top of the wall, always failing but always trying her best, bless her valiant little heart.

At least Sally has a purpose in life. Catching Tulip has become something of a sport--a game that she understands will never go her way, but also understanding that Tulip has become a friend, irritating, but fun.

The backyard wouldn't be the same without Tulip.
roger

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 06:48 pm
@Diane,
Infrequent poster, indeed! Good to see you back.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 06:54 pm
@Diane,
I love your backyard. I miss it, actually. Nice to see you here Diane. I'm back too. Bernie even shows himself from time to time.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 07:53 pm
@Diane,
As I live a breathe (more or less). It's Diane!! Thanks for the Sally/Tulip report. Maybe Sally misses Dante.
MattDavis

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 11:05 pm
@margo,
Thanks for the welcome!!!
Margo wrote:
That cat behaviour seems normal. If you just do as you're told, every time, and pay attention, you shouldn't have too many problems!

This reminds me of when I was looking into leash training for Munkin.
I read this guide and it was describing how to acclimate the cat to the leash.
Something like:
?Cat? wrote:
Now when he has the leash on you have to pay lots of attention to him, he needs to know that he is the best cat in the whole world.

About half way through the guide I began to seriously consider whether a cat may have actually written the guide. Laughing