Overbearing Feline Supervisor

MattDavis

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 11:13 pm
@Lola,
Lola wrote:
And also possible, as long as we keep it to feelings..........only I think some cats do actually think.

I totally agree that cats think and not even just keeping it to feelings.
There is almost as much evidence for animal "thought", as there is evidence available to you that a person other than yourself thinks.
The only "real" evidence that you have for my having thoughts comes from my actions, be they physical or verbal. In short the evidence you have that I think is that I behave in a manner that "betrays" that underlying process in me.
I think your examples and any example of animal learning are totally pertinent to such a topic.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 11:19 pm
@Diane,
Thank you Diane Very Happy
I appreciate your warm welcome to the group.
I also appreciate the Tulip story.
Quote:
but also understanding that Tulip has become a friend, irritating, but fun

There is something profound buried in that realization of Sally's.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 02:25 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

As I live a breathe (more or less). It's Diane!! Thanks for the Sally/Tulip report. Maybe Sally misses Dante.

Something happened to Dante???!!!

Please NO!?
Roberta

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 02:44 am
@dlowan,
If I remember right, Dante wandered away.
dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 04:15 am
@Roberta,
Oh dear. I hope he found somewhere good. Wonderful cat.
roger

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 04:17 am
@dlowan,
He was beautiful, and fairly sociable. I imagine he stopped by someone's door and was taken into another good home. Cats' homing instincts are legendary, but the little guy was pure housecat, probably didn't know where home was.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 06:36 am
@MattDavis,
Welcome Matt, And always happy to see another cat thread. Cats love to be in the thick of the action, in the mix. Food and water bowls and litter boxes are essential points for interaction, and you need to meet the cat's high standards for these areas. As to bossiness, I'd rank my long gone, but never-forgotten Apricot, as Queen of the Universe. She would oversee the changing of the litter, give me a look that said," Adequate job", and then immediately step into the box and do her thing.

We live to serve. Keep up the good work.
MattDavis

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 12:00 pm
@nextone,
Thanks for the welcome Very Happy

All that sounds about right.
What's your take on how much time should be sent playing with Munkin.
He is very playful by nature, and sometimes I worry that he might be under-stimulated. Any recommendations for his needs in this regard?
Kolyo

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 01:13 pm
@MattDavis,
MattDavis wrote:

What's your take on how much time should be sent playing with Munkin.
He is very playful by nature, and sometimes I worry that he might be under-stimulated. Any recommendations for his needs in this regard?

I know you didn't ask me, but ... IMO, no amount of attention is too much, especially if he's an indoor cat and can't seek out his own fun.
MattDavis

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 01:16 pm
@Kolyo,
Thanks Kolyo,
He is an indoor cat now, but he was an outdoor cat before we rescued him, at about a year old.
I think this probably makes him even more needing of play, compared to a cat who never went outdoors in his previous life (pun intended).
dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 03:34 pm
@MattDavis,
Get Da Bird!!!!!!

I use things to make getting food harder...I have a maze feeder, which needs little paws to get into it to make the kibble come out. Also lots of little mice plus various bits of household detritus which are fascinating for some reason.
Roberta

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 03:52 pm
@MattDavis,
There are lots of toys that they can play with without you. I concur with dlowan re Da Bird.

Bouncy sticks with string with a thing on the end.

Helium balloons with a long string (wait for the boom). Patty loved this.

I had a fishing rod. You cast out the mouse (far), and reel it back in. Mikey loved this.

If you've got steps handy, try a slinky. Miranda loved this.

Mikey also loved toy helicopters that fly. The problem with these is that cats chase, but they don't bring things back. You do the fetching.

Have fun.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 03:52 pm
@Diane,
Hey Diane...it is just great to see ya.

When I saw Lola...using her new name...I was happy as a lark. Then Bernie...and now you.

Almost like old times...minus the drinks, smoke, and fall being stopped by a sidewalk.

Love ya,

f.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 03:57 pm
By the way...I'd like to introduce you to our overbearing feline. Folks, meet Cabot.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk17/frankapisa/cabot.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk17/frankapisa/cabot1_zps47686f4d.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 04:03 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Cabot?!! Does he lodge?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 04:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Unfortunately...he "lodges" wherever he damn well pleases.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 04:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Here's two of mine in days of yore - mother cat on the bottom - Cinque the mom, and Spackle, sonny boy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/spackleandcinque018.jpg?t=1255732075
nextone

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 07:05 pm
@MattDavis,
You got some great suggestions for playing with your cat. I think the main thing is remembering "toys are us" ..shades of Soylent Green. We are our cats' favorite toys, and your Munkin will always let you know when he wants to play. You'll soon find out if he's a mouser, likes to chase stuff at ground level, or a birder, loves leaping for overhead objects. Each cat has its own style. Goodyear was one of my cats who didn't seem particularly playful. He was a gorgeous brown tabby who talked quite a lot, but would usually walk away after a few minutes of being petted, or played with..he was a birder, great leaper, but with a short attention span.

One day as he walked away, I followed him, and I did a Frankenstein walk, arms up, big slow steps. He looked back and ran like hell down the hall and around a corner. I stood still, and several seconds later he poked his head out, and then ducked back. I walked down the hall; he shot out of the bedroom, streaked past me, and then checked back. I lurched toward him, and there and then I realized he'd taught me "Chase me, chase me". His game, his rules. We played it often.

Every cat I've lived with has loved playing "where's the cat?". You're making the bed. Cat jumps on bed. You throw sheet over cat and say..... Then you watch the moving lump. Several cats , smaller and lighter ones enjoyed being gently tossed onto the bed, and when you are in bed your head and toes and fingers become objects of prey play..this is more enjoyed by the cat than by you.

So relax and let Munkin take the lead, and you're going to have fun.
nextone

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 07:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Cabot is a beauty. Love the photo of him on the rug, pattern on pattern.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 07:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Great picture. Momcat in charge.