NYC in May!

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 07:36 am
Wait.
Let's get organized here if there's to be lunch/dinner on the roof.

What days overlap? I know P...er, Eva is in town from the 2oth to 26th and Mame is here from at least the 16th to when? There must be one day (the 23, 24 or 25th) when we could all travel North and have a nosh on the deck. Let's start comparing notes.

Helpful information: My stop is 22 minutes +/- 5 from 42nd Street on the A Train. My building is a two minute walk from the stop.

Joe(Tell me what dietary restrictions apply)Nation
Mame

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 08:18 am
@Joe Nation,
I am one of those cretins who whizzes through museums. I think 3 hours would do me. I like to look at everything, but I don't stand there and ponder each and every item/exhibit. My husband, OTOH, likes to stare at every single Roman coin or vertebrae Smile So we always split up and arrange to meet somewhere at an appointed time.

Which are you, Joe? Smile

Ma(looking forward to spending some time with you, Joe)me
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 08:19 am
@Roberta,
What about Tuesday since it's not open Mondays. The 21st. Does that work for everyone?
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 08:45 am
@Mame,
The 21st is when Eva Group goes to Phantom and meets me for a drink after it's over.
Joe(when do you~Mame~go home?)Nation
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 07:36 pm
@Joe Nation,
BUMP

HEY!

Let's get some details going Laughing

Joe(I gotta go get the wine)Nation
ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 08:57 pm
@Roberta,
I've read that eating in a museum is a no no, for reasons I don't get since when I go to one, I can stay for very many hours..

but one of my bestest ever experiences was me, on the first day at the Met, having a mildly swell lunch by myself. With friends, nirvana.
Eva

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 09:17 pm
@Joe Nation,
Riesling or Pinot Grigio for me, please!

We have six days to play. My sister and I will arrive on Monday evening, the 20th, spend Tuesday 21st & Wednesday 22nd doing hop-on-hop-off bus tours sightseeing, a play on Tuesday night, then (not sure which exact days we'll do these) two days at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, one day at The Cloisters/Museum of Natural History (we'll probably split up), which leaves one day for either resting or whatever else we decide to do. We leave Monday morning, the 27th (Memorial Day.)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 09:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Eating in a museum is a no-no? That's absolute nonsense. I'll never forget the decadent lunch I had at the Louvre, the outstanding Native American food court at the Smithsonian, or Tulsa's best Sunday brunches at the Philbrook. Among others.

But that's okay, osso. Keep spreading that rumor. I hate it when good places get too crowded.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 09:44 pm
@Eva,
Snort, I'm just saying I don't agree with people's past posts on that.

I'm a tough test case as I am generally very happy to be in a museum place, which may put a bias on my accounts. But since I am MsPicky, if I like a place, it has some room.

Alas my view of food at the Met (I liked it) is outdated.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 12:20 am
Is there going to be ONE gathering that will include everyone?

I have hospital appointments on on May 15, 23, and 29. I won't be able to do lunch on those days, but a later get-together shouldn't be a problem. On other days I'm available afternoons and evenings.

How many of us are there?

Hoping to get something organized.

Joe, I realize that you're trying to plan a gathering on the roof. Is there an elevator to the roof? I don't want to be a killjoy. I think a roof party would be great. I'm just hoping for something for can all attend.

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 06:04 am
@Roberta,
Roberta: My place would be a bit of a trek for you. All I had in mind was, if someone's group was going to the Cloisters, I'd meet them, maybe tour a bit of the museum and then take them back to my building for a knosh.

I'm also going to have a quick drink with Eva and group after Phantom on the 21st Plus I'm meeting Mame at the Museum of Natural History on the 17th.

Having said that, there must be time and place nearer you that the entire mob can collect at.
We have another week to compare notes.

I believe the tourists should figure out the when, the New Yorkers will figure out the where.

Joe(how's that?)Nation
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 07:19 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
. . . but one of my bestest ever experiences was me, on the first day at the
Met, having a mildly swell lunch by myself. With friends, nirvana.
I've had lunch at the Met with my gang. Good, but overpriced. I consider
the markup a donation.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 07:47 am
I (we) are free every night since they are going to the matinee (Chicago) on the 18th.

This is our plan:

16th - Harlem Tour, 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.
17th - Meet Joe at the Museum at we don't know what time yet, but daytime
18th - Maybe hook up with another friend when the girls are at Chicago - afternoon
19th - Grand Central tour 10:00 - 12:00
20th - Free (Soho? Greenwich? etc)
21st - Thinking of doing the Met that day, but it's not fixed
22nd - Free (Soho? Greenwich? etc)
23 and 24 - Doing Brooklyn

We are available every night for dinner and most days for lunch, so you guys (and where are the others??) plan whatever you like, wherever you like, and I (or we) will be there. I'd really like to see you all more than once, if possible.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 04:30 pm
@Mame,
How 11:30AM sound for you on the 17th? The early crowds will be gone and you will have your map of where you want to go...(unless you just want to wing it which is fine with me.)

Joe(we can go from wing to wing)Nation
Mame

Reply Fri 10 May, 2013 06:41 am
@Joe Nation,
11:30 sounds ideal. My sister-in-law will probably be with me (lovely lady) and we love winging it, so that's perfect Smile

Wonderful. I'm writing it in INK in my daytime!
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 10 May, 2013 04:22 pm
@Mame,
INKED in

Joe(and not in the creepy Tattoo Parlor kind of way)Nation
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 11 May, 2013 04:15 pm
@Joe Nation,
I apologize for not getting back with everyone. It's the last week of school, which for a teacher is something like tax season for an accountant. Just a few more days now ...

Let's see.

Joe Nation wrote:
... There must be one day (the 23, 24 or 25th) when we could all travel North and have a nosh on the deck ...

The overlap dates when Mame and I will both be there and not previously committed to tours, etc. are these:

22nd (Wed.) -- evening only (during days - Eva on bus tour, Mame free)
23rd (Thurs.) -- evening only (during days - Eva free, Mame in Brooklyn)
24th (Fri.) -- evening only (during days - Eva free, Mame in Brooklyn)

No food restrictions for my sister and me. Just let us know which date is best for you and whoever else can come. We'll be there!

Roberta wrote:
When are you going to be at the Metropolitan museum? The Guggenheim? They're both in my neighborhood.

Probably two of these three: 23rd-24th-25th. Any of those look good to you?

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 08:22 am
My plans have changed a little, as follows:

This is our plan:

16th - Not doing the Harlem Tour, 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. now as my SIL arrives at 3:00 p.m. so will wait for her at our apt.
17th - Meet Joe at the American Museum at 11:30 a.m., friends may be doing the Central Park Bike tour; MOMA at 4:00
18th - Friend driving in from Philly to meet up - don't know if it's the 18th or 19th as yet
19th - see above
20th - Afternoon, doing the High Line walk and meeting with a friend's daughter
21st - Thinking of doing the Met that day, but it's not fixed
22nd - Free , SIL leaves at 4:00
23 and 24 - Doing Brooklyn

Today I'm making biscotti for my colleagues at the library where I work b/c when I return, I'm off to a new branch. Anybody got a great recipe?
Eva

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 10:37 pm
@Mame,
No recipe for biscotti (unfortunately) ... but it looks like maybe we can get together sometime on the 23rd or 24th??? I pm'd you my cell number, would you do the same? We can figure out what we want to do when we get there, okay? I'm still waiting for Joe to name the date for the roofdeck thing. That will help me figure out more of my schedule.

You're leaving in just a couple of days! It's almost here!!!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 10:42 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
When are you going to be at the Metropolitan museum? The Guggenheim? They're both in my neighborhood.

Either the 23rd, 24th, or 25th ... probably two of those days. What works for you?