NYC in May!

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 10:52 am
@ossobuco,
An umbrella that should be made of steel instead of flimsy aluminum perhaps.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 05:41 am
@tsarstepan,
Yeah, that's what I want. A four pound umbrella.

Mame is right. She's says umbrellas are basically useless once the wind starts to blow.

Once the wind gets above six miles an hour, you take the chance of being both wet and looking rediculous as you struggle to un-mushroom your bumbershoot.

Joe( ....this...damned...thing...I ooughta....)Nation
ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 06:12 am
@Joe Nation,
I find smaller, highly curved umbrellas work much better when it's windy than big, flat golf-style umbrellas. Though golf umbrellas are better for beating on people.
Mame

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 07:10 am
@ehBeth,
I want one of those bubble umbrellas - they come far enough down over your body (to your shoulders) that the rain doesn't hit your head or neck, and they're sturdy and deep enough not to blow inside out. They're made of some kind of tough plastic so you can see through them, too. I hear Target has them for about $12 - $15.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 May, 2013 08:24 am
@Joe Nation,
Yeh, I used to live in rainville, and never used an umbrella in those years.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 03:26 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
I want one of those bubble umbrellas - they come far enough down over your body (to your shoulders) that the rain doesn't hit your head or neck, and they're sturdy and deep enough not to blow inside out. They're made of some kind of tough plastic so you can see through them, too. I hear Target has them for about $12 - $15.

Someone else likes those bubble umbrellas too, Mame--she has them trimmed in colors to match all her outfits.
http://writeaboutme.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/queen.jpg
http://static02.mediaite.com/styleite/uploads/gallery/queen-elizabeth-monochromatic-purple/154733772_10.jpg

Think she picked hers up in Target? Wink
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 03:50 pm
@Mame,
I used to have a bubble umbrella. A major disappointment. Why? The umbrella kept collapsing. The pressure of maintaining the bubble shape was too much for the umbrella mechanism. Maybe they're making them stronger these days. I'd hate to think that an umbrella would collapse and ruin one of the queen's hats.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 09:52 pm
S is coming back to the city soon.

Joe(watch this space for details)Nation
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2015 09:36 pm
That was a great holiday. Magical and fun and full of surprises. Thomas stripping at a Shake Shack (not to be believed), Jonathan was such a wonderful host and friend, so funny and interesting, Frank so easy-going and knowledgeable, Tsar so gentlemanly yet ... so not (!!), Roberta the epitome of a Noo Yawker, yet not, and Eva and her sister so gracious and funny - willing to get into everything. Two years ago... lots has happened to us since then...

Let's have an update Smile

I now have a 15 yr old dog, a 12 yr old dog, a 10 0r 11 yr old dog, and a 17 year old cat (who's on his way out, sadly). My granddaughters are now 6 and 8 and they and their mom just spent a week with us during the Greatest Show on Earth - the Calgary Stampede Smile Still working at the Library and still cooking up a storm. Still travelling - this year it's been Puerto Morelos with SIL Sheila, then Zihuatanejo with Alex, and in Oct it's Amsterdam and Berlin with Alex..... What have the rest of you been doing or what are you planning?

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 02:58 am
@Mame,
I'm still playing lots of golf...and treasuring the many meetings I've had with you and other A2Kers in the Big Apple. (We're gonna have another of those roof top thingys over at Jonathan's next month. Am I looking forward to that!)

Nancy and I now have two cats...who get along like brothers.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk17/frankapisa/Cabot%20and%20Napoleon/100_2096_zps4cf1140d.jpg

Glad you and Alex are having a great time.

Life is good.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 05:48 am
@Mame,
It's so good to see you back at A2K again, Mame--I've missed you.

Will you be hanging out here more often now?
0 Replies