Why has it almost Become Impossible to Converse with and Enjoy Those Who Differ?

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 03:13 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5229369)
But i don't spend much time on you, apparently you are unable to pay attention. All your silly, snide passive-aggressive digs don't work. Had you not obtruded your phony bullshit into this thread, i'd have had nothing to say to you for quite some time. I only come after your pathetic ass when you start strutting around spouting self-congratulatory horseshit with no basis. So, no, i'm nor "here for you," nor do you provide me any such service, you smarmy, lying hypocrite.

Wow, Setanta, you sure are spending a lot of time with me telling me how you do not want to spend any time with me.

You are okay, Setanta. I thank you for making today as enjoyable as you have made it. I am delighted you started it...and perhaps we can continue it through tomorrow.

I love spending time with you...which I am still here for you.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 03:14 pm
@JPB,
Then you'd be a troll troll troller for expressing your opinion.

This can be infinite if we want to do it.

My own gripe is not so much with the repetitive posters, of whom I either figure they can't help it or are asshole slime, which I don't think is true by and large - but with the enablers, who refute every post by them, until death do them part.

What happened with simply giving one's opinion once?

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 03:19 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Sure, Bubba, whatever you say . . . here you like emoticons, child that you are . . .Rolling Eyes
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 03:22 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5229443)
Sure, Bubba, whatever you say . . . here you like emoticons, child that you are . . .

Why thank you, Setanta...that was very kind of you.

Here's one back at ya! Wink
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 04:25 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

My own gripe is not so much with the repetitive posters, of whom I either figure they can't help it or are asshole slime, which I don't think is true by and large - but with the enablers, who refute every post by them, until death do them part.

A lot of the time when I get accused of twisting a thread into talking about X what I am doing is showing a new way of how X manifests itself. For example the failure of the legal system kills us with a thousand different cuts. It is entirely proper for me to talk about a different cut than I have talked about before...if all you get out of it is that hawkeye is yakking about the "justice" system yet again then the problem is that you lack interest in the problem, it is not that I am being obnoxious.
Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 04:34 am
@hawkeye10,
Begging questions again--if you haven't established that there is actually a problem, there's no reason for anyone to pay attention to your rant, especially if it is off-topic.
JPB

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 08:24 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Guilty!

And regarding the repetitive regurgitation of the same opinions over and over between the same two or three people? Hell if I know. I chalk them up to being "last worders". Get a few of those on the same thread and it will never die. But, I tend to leave those threads as soon as the usual suspects show up.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 08:55 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
I disagree with the premise of this question. Some people can disagree without insulting each other. For example, georgeob1 and joefromchicago disagree with me all the time, but the tone between us is always courteous and usually friendly. So it's definitely possible that people can't disagree without being disagreeable anymore. It's just that some don't want to.

That's a good point. Some of the loudest complaints about incivility are from posters whose standards of discourse fall far below the level that they expect of others. Or, in more prosaic terms, if you want others to stop being a dick to you, stop being a dick to them.

In that vein, I'll just add that the only element common to all of Hawkeye's interactions on this site is Hawkeye.
IRFRANK

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 10:01 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Or, in more prosaic terms, if you want others to stop being a dick to you, stop being a dick to them.

Is that the same as: DON'T BE A DICK!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 11:17 am
Love's Truck? Is that a dating site for hillbillies?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 11:19 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Love's Truck? Is that a dating site for hillbillies?

Not anymore lol

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 11:24 am
Oops . . . somebody's spam got jerked!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 02:50 pm
@JPB,
I do too - I simply do not have the patience.

but then once in a while I blurt out my unhappiness about the over and over and over business and am well remembered for it - notice how Frank remembers.

That should probably be a lesson, eh?
I then become a nose-body, a role I don't like from way back, but I still sometimes find myself doing it.
Sigh.
It's my hall monitorish childhood rearing its ugly face.
I was never actually a hall monitor, thank zeus, but that kind of thing was part of my raising.

But then when the rest of us depart from repetitionville, we have a kind of locked in zoning.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 03:40 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Begging questions again--if you haven't established that there is actually a problem, there's no reason for anyone to pay attention to your rant, especially if it is off-topic.

I have established to myself that there is a problem. Your not agreeing that there is a problem does not mean that I must stay silient. Besides, I only control me, so I am not going to be overly concerned that you don't do as I do. Unlike a lot of you liberal bullshitters I actually believe in and practice tolorance most of the time.
jcboy

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 08:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I actually believe in and practice tolorance most of the time.
This ol son of a bitch must have been drunk posting when he typed this bullshit!
Razz
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 04:04 am
@hawkeye10,
Is it an example of your "tolerance" to label me a "liberal bullshitter?" Given that you know next to nothing about me, and cannot put together a coherent statement about my attitudes toward tolerance based on posts i have written, it seems to me that you're the bullshitter. Make a liar out ot me--quote my posts which support your claim about my "liberal" intolerance.

That you have established to your satisfaction that there is a problem is absolutely meaningless as a response to my remarks. If others don't think there is, or if they just think your remarks are off-topic for the thread they're in, they'll ignore your whining. That's their right. Your putative right of free speech does not apply for the following reasons which you have been told about again and again and again . . .

This is a private place, not a public place, so you have no legal right of free speech.

No one here stops you from saying what you want to say, so your free speech is not infringed.

Expressing your opinions (once again, as JPB pointed out opinions, not facts) constitutes the exercise of free speech. But having free speech doesn't guarantee that anyone will listen to you, or take you seriously.

You really need to get over yourself.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 07:27 pm
Two friends facebook status this morning made me think of this thread...

You will only be surrounded by annoying people and frustrating situations until you learn not to get annoyed or frustrated

Sigh......Not much respect in this world..... as I'm sure you idiots would agree. Wink
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 09:04 pm
@hingehead,
Aka exercise tolerence, which most liberals claim to do but don't. At. All.

We should enjoy each other to the degree we can, and aspire to make a better argument rather than focus on conversion counts. We are no better than the missionaries of old, who brutalized the heathon as they tried to save them.
Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 09:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
You're a melodrama addict . . .
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 09:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yeah. ******* liberals. They should **** off to wherever they came from.