ARE A2K MEMBERS LIBERAL, CONSERVATIVE.....

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 05:57 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Beyond a vague set of leanings, I vote for the candidate. That makes me a full-fledged none of the above voter. I like to annoy candidates by asking questions of them when they're at the door.

in spite of one communist vote, documented earlier in this thread, i'm not a communist. i'm one of those not easily defined voters, annoying to politicians and pollsters alike.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 06:00 pm
Sigh.... me too. I've voted democratic for the primary elections for ever, but I haven't really had a lot of heart in it. Clinton was ok.....

As stated above, I voted green in the mid-term elections (for gov and lt gov - the only green option). I think we need to shake up the system in order to really come up with a candidate that comes even close to what I want in a leader.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 06:41 pm
I almost joined the SDS. Fresh out of High School, enrolling in college - they had a booth with all organizations during enrolment.

Students for a Democratic Society, read some their literature. These stuff sounded good, and still does, I'm sure. However, if I had of done that I would have been tagged for years to come. Not that I believed in their "other" stuff. I really don't even know what that "stuff" was. I do know that I have filled out a lot of forms since that has the question in the negative area to the effect of:

"Do, have you or will you ever be associated with, belonged to or were indoctinated in the SDS?"

Lucky me, I've never seen the same question for the CCC.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 06:49 pm
hmmmm, maybe that's why I've never joined anything.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 07:09 pm
Bill
I carried a SDS card for about six months. But I decided I did not like where they were headed and returned the card. I asked to be stricken from their roll.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 01:11 am
When we Europeans, especially we Germans, look at the US-American party system, well, it seems, you are all more to the right than we here.

(Quotation from "My favourite homepage":
"A subjective comparison of Germany and the United States"

"The American parties are located to the right of their German counterparts. Former President Clinton for instance, a democrat, would have to be placed at the right wing of the German conservative party CDU. Some people at the right end of the American republican party are so radical that they would probably be under surveillance in Germany. ")
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 02:19 am
I believe I was the only one in northern california who wrote in Jack Kemp's name even after he withdrew from the presidential race. Just to make my own little statement.

After moving back to Hawaii which ALWAYS votes democrat. I found myself in a minority. Politics there were not as vicious as in the mainland. After moving on to Guam (which has no presidential say, as with all territories of the U.S.) the presidential race can be seen in a different persective.

I suppose I"m a conservative (whatever that means) in many circumstances.

I have to give Mr. Clinton a thumbs up, as he was the only president who recognized the overthrow of the Hawaiian monarchy as an illegal act and issued an apology to the Hawaiian people on behalf of the U.S. government.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 02:22 am
I went with moderate, but I'd have to say I'm slightly to the left of that.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 02:23 am
I've never had a candidate at the door!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 02:24 am
I emailed my local MP once and she called me to discuss the issue. That impressed me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 06:49 am
Was she havin' a slow day, Boss, or is that kind of thing normal in Oz?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 11:36 am
The same thing happens here, Setanta. My parents are noted politician/candidate callers/questioners. They do call back.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 12:30 pm
OK, OK, I'll admit it ... This whole mess started with The Magna Carta, in my opinion. Things were so much CLEARER before that; We belonged to The Church, We belonged to The King, The King could do pretty much whatever He wanted, as long as The Pope didn't object. Now, damnit, we're all expected to be responsible for our own actions and capable of governing ourselves. My God, what's next ... Rights-and-Dignity for invertibrates? Cool Cool Cool Rolling Eyes

timber
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 01:00 pm
Sort of the worm turnin' scenario, huh, Timber?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 01:01 pm
(Pssst, Magna Carta, being Latin, includes the definite article by case, so one should write: " . . . started with Magna Carta . . . " and drop the article . . .)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 01:30 pm
Of course you are right, Setanta, as regards my disregard of Latin Grammatical Canon. I am able err similarly, and yet more egregiously, in several languages, even my mother tongue!

timber
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 02:15 pm
A not inconsiderable talent, Timber, my hat would be off to you, but i never wear the damned things . . .
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 06:50 pm
She's a Labour member of parliment. I suspect that a working class person would have trouble getting a Liberal party member to acknowledge they exist.
For those confused by the terminology, in Australia the conservative party is called the Liberal party. Rather a joke of a name considering they are ultra consertative.

Not to mention evil Nazi scum-but that's another story.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 07:10 pm
It must be a commonwealth thing, wilso. Our liberal party is to the right of the conservative party on many issues. Puzzling on the best of days.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 11:22 pm
In England it's Labour and Tory, in Oz it's Labour and Liberal, in the US it's Democrat and Republican, Canada????
0 Replies