ARE A2K MEMBERS LIBERAL, CONSERVATIVE.....

perception

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 04:21 pm
I had to come back here----it's really getting bloody over in Indian country.

LW
You're so good at taking the high ground are you sure you weren't a politician in another life?

I like your signaturel.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 04:41 pm
Laughing It is difficult to make a hatchet a concealed weapon!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 05:44 pm
politicians and high ground do not belong is the same sentence unless they are negative against each other
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 06:04 pm
LW

Who needs a hatchet when you can use words the way you do.

Orange county Cal---wasn't there a big scandal over a huge amount of money missing due to some very bad invesments? Please refresh my memory
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 07:56 pm
The highest treason, the meanest treason, is to deny the holiness of this
little blue planet on which we journey through the cold void of space. i guess that makes me a Green or a Liberal, but i do tend to avoid that yellow line down the middle of the road where people usually get run over.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 08:11 pm
Wow .... I'm confused. I seem to have been swept up in The Indian Troubles. This splitting-of-threads thing takes a bit of getting used to.

I'm not surprised at the tilt the poll results are taking. There is a proportionately large and fairly cohesive group which consider themselves "Liberal", yet over 70% of current respondents characterize themselves as "Other than Liberal". Though "Liberals" outnumber "Conservatives" roughly 3-to-2, "Liberals" are outnumbered better than 7-to-1 in overall responses. In reality, I suspect most folks really are "Centrist", at least most of the time. "Bell Curve Distribution" comes to mind, with a rather tall, steep bell sporting much lower, broad, intracate undulations to either side at its base (I hope the analogy is clear); the bulk of the sample most often lies within the center of the sampled universe, exhibiting less deviation and fewer sample objects as the distance from the center increases. For every Loonie or Zealot at The Fringes, there are sufficient of the main population to form a countering majority. Whatever else might happen, The Majority generally occupies The Center. The two concepts more or less imply one another.

timber
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 08:14 pm
dyslexia wrote:
The highest treason, the meanest treason, is to deny the holiness of this
little blue planet on which we journey through the cold void of space. i guess that makes me a Green or a Liberal, but i do tend to avoid that yellow line down the middle of the road where people usually get run over.

I'm with you on that one, Dyslexia.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 08:17 pm
timber,

Gee, what a spin. I see the results as 83% "Liberal" and "Other Than Conservative"! That's conclusive!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:55 pm
Bill, I don't see that as a "Spin", really. My point was that over half should be "Other than Liberal or Conservative", which appears to be a conjecture in the process of proof. At this point, the results are 52% "Other than Liberal or Conservative". Cool

timber
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:04 pm
I see what you say and I saw what you printed. I took the same spin and turned it around. If you didn't mean it as such, so be it; but, the point is, this is what the spin doctors do when there is a result of 29% and 17% for the two parties.

Another good one is they say:

The Conservatives had a poor showing of 17% in the polls while the remaining 83% was a whooping victory for the Liberals and non Conservatives.

Here the words poor and whooping make the issue mucho significant. Another I like is when they say - there was a significant victory showing 38% while the others showed a poorly 32% (must have a little higher %, but both are still in a miserly 30%.

Ah, isn't spin fun. The thing is that they can change option and results with success in spin. They work on that 30%, or in this case 52% that is unknown, or not for the two biggies. People want to follow the crowd.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:16 pm
Ok, I'm back, and somewhat lucid. The guy next door throwing the xmas pahhhty pours a mean drink.

Civil rights is a very important issue to me, very important. I wish I was a Lawyer at times.

Now I'll go back to lurking
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:17 pm
welcome back Mikey... the native american discussion has been split off onto another thread...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 06:46 pm
PS little k, looking good baby.......
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 06:58 pm
<blush>
<shiver>
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 11:39 am
Of course, of course. Since they all do it...

I'm not of either party, having helped one friend in a political race several years ago, I consider it all pretty horrible. I hate the very word, SPIN. I don't like political parties at all and am offended by the republicans and embarassed by the democrats. I vote and prefer Green party and independents. However, I have never received blatant political lies such as this in my email except from the most conservative part of the spectrum. What was the last nasty lie you heard from a dem? Republicans do it to themselves, as well. Witness the viciousness with which John McCain was put out of the running during the last presidential race.

Over here we had a R state rep wanna-be whose political mailings to independents such as myself included news that she had voted for a popular issue... well, technically she had voted for it since it was part of a huge package, but the very next day she voted against funding it. I'd call her a liar, yet she drapes herself in the mantle of Christianity and utmost morality. I don't know how anyone with a conscience could do that.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 11:40 am
Walter- Are you trying to say that American politicians are no different in their tactics than the communists? :wink:

I am crushed! Razz
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 11:43 am
I've described myself as moderate. Basically, i could say liberal, but in the old Roman sense of liberalis, a free man. There is a goofy little idea popular with conservatives, which is to say that Americans are basically conservative. This is, of course, nonsense, given our history. During the Revolution, about a third of the population were actively in support of rebellion, about a third actively supported the Crown, and about a third sat the fence. Many of the loyalists, the "Torys," ended up going to Upper Canada, and the Maritimes. You can see a conservative streak in provincial governments in Upper Canada in the early history of that province. I would say, at the risk of giving offense to our Canajun participants, and having this denied, that Canadian government has partaken of this conservatism throughout much of their history. The United States was not simply a liberal foundation, it was considered to be dangerously radical in European chancellories, and anything which suggested instability in our government was applauded there. There has always been, and there will always be a conservative element in our population. I think that history shows, by and large, that our people are mostly moderate--they tend to swing away from extremes, whether reactionaries or leftist radicals. We have not always been the first to implement new social policies, but the US has remained at the forefront of social reform in history, often despite the politics of our government. I am as disgusted by rhetoric and dogma of the left as i am of the right--although i often subscribe to "pure" conservative policies, i.e., those which are not formulated by demagogues seeking to do some rabble rousing. The same goes for left wing rabblerousers, in my book. That's why i guess i'd describe myself as a moderate.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 11:45 am
Phoenix and Walter, Just crushed? I'm gonna hide in my closet with a bottle of vodka to drown my sorrow. ;( c.i.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 11:47 am
c.i.- One thing that you COULD say about the communists. They knew how to make a dandy vodka! Drunk
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 11:54 am
And they still do! Gotta share this tidbit. When I visited Russia a few years ago, we visited a "vodka museum," where they served three different kinds of vodka with caviar - all for the sum of $2. Ooops, a communist by any other name is called a "capitalist?" Wink c.i.
0 Replies