ARE A2K MEMBERS LIBERAL, CONSERVATIVE.....

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 11:32 pm
I've voted green, independent, liberal and NDP, and once communist (they were the only ones that showed up at an all-candidate's meeting at my university residence so they got my vote that time round). Liberal here is actually rather conservative, NDP is greenish liberal and the independent was bizarrely independent. I tend to vote more conservatively (liberal) federally, and liberally (NDP) provincially, and absolutely none of the above (independent) municipally. Beyond a vague set of leanings, I vote for the candidate. That makes me a full-fledged none of the above voter. I like to annoy candidates by asking questions of them when they're at the door. That makes me a citizen. Dang tootin'.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 11:40 pm
I'm with you Ehbeth, but is there a liberal, greenish, independant party anywhere?

I vote it MY WAY!!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 11:42 pm
the rhinoceros party. i forgot about them. i voted for them federally a couple of times, when i was really peeved with all the other local candidates. They're rather liberal, green and independent.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 11:43 pm
the rhinoceros party - putting the mock in democracy!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 11:48 pm
from the happyfunpundit weblog
http://www.happyfunpundit.com/

Quote:

The Rhinos are Back!
Not many people realize this, but the Rhinoceros party has been resurrected in Canada.

They only have one official party priority at this time: They want to change the official name of British Columbia to "La La Land", to "more accurately reflect the true nature of our geopolitical reality."

I quote from their website:

After an alcohol-induced hibernation of almost 13 years, Canada's most beloved political party, okay Canada's ONLY beloved political party, is staggering to its feet, shaking the mental cobwebs from its big, fat head and preparing to rampage across B.C. Ladies and gentlemen... wait a minute, neither ladies nor gentlemen will be too pleased with this news. Children of all ages, however, will rejoice in the knowledge that the Rhino Party is back!

I think this is a party with a future. It is a party with vision - one of their election promises years ago was to have the Rocky Mountains bulldozed so that Alberta could get a few extra minutes of daylight.

America could use a Rhino party. When politics is absurd, the absurd should become politicians. In an insane world, only the sane man appears insane. Or something like that.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 11:54 pm
Sign me up, ehBeth!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 11:55 pm
I love it! Very Happy that is the most sensible political undertaking that I have heard of in many a moon!
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 11:57 pm
I'm in.....
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 12:05 am
A couple of years ago, we almost got to have Louie Louie as our state song...but, then a conservative group changed things and we ended up with a real dorky song called "Washington My Home". I think that the Rhino party would have liked Louie Louie much better. It certainly would have been more fun!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 12:09 am
Has anybody else examined the Natural Law Party?
The Natural Law Party
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 12:20 am
Conservative. As of this moment, the one and only. Overall, I am very surprised at the high number on the forum who think of themselves as moderate.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 12:20 am
i didn't mean, to treat you, so bad
you just take it so personal
I didn't mean, to make you so sad
you just happened to be there that's all

think i'm goin rhino...enough of this nonsence.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 12:23 am
I voted none of the above.

It depends on the issue at hand and I despise these labels. They oversimplify and politics is not a simple topic.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 12:48 am
I went "Moderate", though it was a toss with "Conservative". I tend to pay far more attention to an issue's merits and faults from my perspective than to its Party. I often vote across party lines, sometimes in support of a given candidate or issue, other times perhaps merely to choose a least objectionable alternative. I don't really identify with either "The Left Wing" or "The Right Wing"; both offer things I can live with, and both offer things I'd rather do without. A bird without both wings is a helpless, clumsy beast. Given that the electoral balance of The nation is very nearly cleanly 50/50 Republican/Democrat, it may be inferred many folks feel similarly. By and large, we're a Nation of Centrists, always surprising one wing or the other by our sudden, "inexplicable" changes of mood or sympathy. Complacence is a useless trait in a politician, and I wish we could breed that trait right out of the herd.

timber
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 12:53 am
well said, a bird without two wings. bottom line in my book.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:31 am
I heard from an old friend that an old friend of his, an older fellow I also knew, thought I was to the left of him. That shook me. He, the older fellow friend, was in the Abraham Lincoln brigade.

What was it I said???

I am just an ordinary old liberal.

And there you go.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:41 am
NH has the best State Motto I think Ossubuco,

LIVE FREE OR DIE
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 02:55 am
Yeah, mikey. And don't you dare display it upside, either!
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 03:50 am
Can we safely say, to this point, that most members are not conservative?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 05:39 am
Mapleleaf- The only conclusions that I can draw from the figures on this thread is:

Of the over 300 A2K members, at this time, 20 persons chose to respond to this thread.

Of those 20 persons, 7, or 35%, defined themselves as "Liberals".
2, or 10%, defined themselves as "Conservatives"
5, or 25%, defined themselves as "moderates"
6, or 30% defined themselves as "none".

There are a number of difficulties in drawing conclusions from these figures:

The sampling number is too small, in proportion to the membership.

It was not a random sample, but a self selected one.

No definitions were given for each category. What an individual may define as a moderate, conservative, or liberal, if not spelled out, will vary from the point of view of the person making the evaluation.

See ma, you didn't think that I learned anything in my statistics class! Laughing
0 Replies