ARE A2K MEMBERS LIBERAL, CONSERVATIVE.....

New Haven

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 07:33 am
I used to be a liberal democrat. Then I joined abuzz 2.5 years ago, acquired wealth and suddenly became a conservative Republican.

Interesting? Drunk
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 07:33 am
You're right, of course; at least, we've had an interesting exchange. Oops! Let me amend that....In my opinion, we have had an interesting exchange.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 07:35 am
One other thing to note, is the fact that the majority of abuzzers are democrates and thus, it doesn't suprise me that the majority of those on this site are likewise democrates. Drunk

I'm pro-choice, with restrictions.

I'm against partial-birth abortions.

I'm against affirmative action.

I'm for the death penalty.

I'm against constant welfare, for most situations.

I'm for strong willed Westerners of the USA. Twisted Evil

I believe in the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

I'm for animal rights, but I support the use of animals in biological experimentation, if guidelines are closely followed. Embarrassed

I voted Republican in the last election and will vote for President Bush in the next election.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 08:51 am
Timberlandko
Very thoughtful response---I really like your style----you consistently give the most thoughtful and useful responses. I voted moderate really to distance myself from the religious right. I would however vote conservative on most fiscal and social policy.

There isn't much doubt, at least in my mind, that the majority of participants on this forum consider themselves to be liberal -----especially on social issures.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:03 am
Well, I went for none of the above... though I'm interested in Beth's link to the Rhino's.

A conservative would call me liberal, a moderate would call me an independent, and a liberal would say... why can't you stay with the party line? Mostly I'm green, but with independent leanings and an anarchist streak.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:06 am
I love that word Piffka...anarchist.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:08 am
A gentle and loving anarchist...
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:14 am
I am conservative in all the issues referring to national security and defense. And I am quite liberal on the individual's rights (these that do not endanger national security) issues. So, in general, I am moderate, IMHO.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:32 am
I would put myself just to the right of Genghis Khan.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:34 am
I've always been fascinated with Genghis Khan. He was quite a genious and effective ruler for his time.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:00 am
My vote is always based upon the issue whether it is liberal or conservative is meaningless.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:03 am
Mikey - nodding in agreement!

au1929 - I vote that way too. Just tends to be liberals I'm voting for.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:23 am
perception wrote:
I voted moderate really to distance myself from the religious right

That had a good deal to do with my decision as well. I am equally perturbed by "Bleeding Heart Liberals" as by "Bible-Thumping Conservatives". The "Right-to-Lifers" who destroy abortion clinics and assasinate staffers are no different from any terrorists using bombs and bullets anywhere in the world, for any cause; they are but cowardly criminals and merit the full weight and retribution of the law. The Religious Hypocrites who espouse stiffling all viewpoint but their own are just Fascists, regardless of stated agenda. Intollerance is intollerable, Religious Intollerance invalidates itself by its very premis.

There is much to be said for "My Country, right or wrong, but My Country." I don't advocate slavishly following "The National Line" by any means ... when "The National Line" differs from my own convictions, I will register my disapproval with vogor, but within the bounds of law and social responsibility. Our citizens are given the means of change and redress through orderly process. The history of this nation is neither without blemish or glorious example, and often where one ends and the other begins can be difficult to determine. We have had and will have our mistakes and embarrassments, just as we have had and will have our triumphs and victories. No nation on the planet spends more on foreign aid than does the US. No nation on the planet is more looked to as a destination for immigration than is The US. No nation on the planet is more envied than the US. No nation on the planet is perfect, not even The US.

That, over the past 200+ years we have grown from a loose confederation of farmers and shopkeepers to become the wealthiest, most powerful, influential politico-economic entity of history is indication that, whatever flaws our system may have, it is a system which works better than any system ever devised. It is the very diversity of opinion and position afforded by our system which has made this possible, and which assures our continued success. I may not like "The Loonies" of either wing, but I grant them their voice even as I strive to counter their arguments. To me, that's what "Being an American" is all about. In fact, that's pretty much what Civilization is all about.

Oh, and thank you, perception, for the kudos. I lurk much more than I post, but when I do post, it is often out of strong conviction. As for "my style", I attempt to define my position unambiguously and concisely, though I from time to time indulge in just plain silliness as well.

timber
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:23 am
Phoenix
I agree no conclusion can be reached based on this poll. A much better way i think would be to list the issues and ask people to vote.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:36 am
Timber

What a grand forum this would be if everyone measured their words and their thoughts as carefully as you. I encourage you to stop lurking so much and post more.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:52 am
Well, we Europeans have some difficulties:
the Liberals are sometimes more right than some conservatives here, and the Republicans would be right wing, sometimes.

Green could fit me, but I'm social-democratic which is coummunist to Americains and center-left here.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:57 am
I always liked the idea of social-democracy, call it communism.... We're in some serious deep doodoo because of our business methods.... and then there's our stupid budget cuts.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 11:27 am
um interesting thread especially when it involves self-definition. when i first joined Abuzz i considered myself very moderate in most cases but after a few short weeks i came to think of myself as far left/liberal. i guess it depends on the context of comparison and how one defines these labels.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 12:39 pm
go for the poll, i'm outta here perception.

i'll go to the christmas party next door, with the indians, and leave you so called 'Americans' be.

after all, you asked for it, no?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:01 pm
Timber

I completely agree with your eloquent summation. I would like to add just an observation about the poll so far-----even though it's a relatively small sampling, I'm very surprised that so few people actually identify with being liberal.
0 Replies