What and why is a bot

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 04:34 pm
On another thread,

http://able2know.org/topic/203629-1

I recently encountered an OP allegedly by a "bot." At my advanced age I'm unfamiliar with such terminology but I presume that's short for "robot" and so must conclude the message was transmitted automatically from a software routine

I've been told also that the typical OP ostensibly by the a2k "newcomer" often seeming naive, silly, or ESL is also by a bot

Asking why anyone should do this I was once advised that the idea was to "entrap" the unwary, still leaving me however in a state of perplexity

shogg0th

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 05:35 pm
Bots ultimate goal is to direct traffic to a site by having people click on a link. Usually these are advertising schemes. People actually make money each time someone clicks on one their sites, so by simply clicking on a site provided by a bot, you're making the money. Usually bots are obvious cause they claim some esoteric conundrum. The other day I accidentally replied to a bot looking for a a suit. Haha

They usually don't drop their links right away cause it looks way too spammy, but even their approach is spammy. By recognizing the signs you can determine bots right off the hop.

I'm sure there are other examples of why bots be bots.

What a mixed up inffernet world we live in.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 01:21 pm
@shogg0th,
Quote:
Bots ultimate goal is to direct traffic to a site by having people click on a link.
Yet so few such OP's provide a link

Quote:
…...advertising schemes…….by simply clicking…...making the money.
Interesting

Quote:
Usually bots are obvious cause they claim some esoteric conundrum.
In other words evoke a q or 2. But don't almost all OP's from everyone do that

Quote:
The other day I accidentally replied to a bot looking for a a suit. Haha
Yes I suppose its purp pretty obvious in such a case but the sort to which I have reference, as in the link above, seem very innocent; many even naive or childish

Quote:
…...their approach is spammy. By recognizing the signs you can determine bots right off the hop.
Apparently I'm not very good at it

Quote:
I'm sure there are other examples of why bots be bots.
Yes, and if there are any honest-to-Pete bots out there listening, might you not contribute

Quote:
What a mixed up inffernet world we live in.
Alas a typo

http://onelook.com/?w=inffernet&ls=a
0 Replies