Determinism, anxiety, and depression

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 10:22 am
The oldster who looks back with regret should be advised that he is merely a victim of Cause and Effect. Paradoxically this very realization can free him

Except for them lucky enough in youth to See the Light our behavior and feelings especially in earlier life are almost totally determined by our environment, esp parents and doubly by nation of delivery. Born into a family of say, religion a, we believe b, c,and d; into faith w, we uphold convictions x, y, and z. If our country m hates those of n then we will also hate n's while they will likewise hate us

But in later life when wisdom sets in and we realize that we're merely casualties of C&E, it can release us from those pangs of remorse
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,747 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 10:59 am
@dalehileman,
Why, it's asked, do we work our respective asses off for 60 years, then only retreat into obscurity

Answer: Three bottles of The Brew on Tuesday and popcorn Friday night
dalehileman

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 12:15 pm
@dalehileman,
Then of course there's the weekend our offspring come visit, we go out into the countryside to shoot clay pigeons (biodegradable I hasten to assure), whilst downing fave lagers (limit 4 ea), then drive home (back roads of course) to sit in the sauna tasting The Brews for the rest of the afternoon

What life's all about
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 04:58 pm
@dalehileman,
I think you might like this book: The Life Cycle Completed by Erik Erikson.
He deals quite well with such an existential question as some are lucky enough to face should they last long enough to do so.
I think most public libraries would have a copy.

I couldn't find much in the way of videos very quickly but here is an interview before he and his wife passed.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 05:13 pm
@MattDavis,
Thanks Matt for those links
MattDavis

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 05:36 pm
@dalehileman,
You're welcome Dale. Very Happy
dalehileman

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 11:25 am
@MattDavis,
Matt I've advised my BH to acquire for my next Xmas, birthday, etc, the Erikson book

As a Bot I take all that sort of thing very seriously
Esp as an old Bot
MattDavis

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 01:31 pm
@dalehileman,
I'm glad. Better halves are nice. Very Happy
I know I enjoyed reading Grace and Grit: Spirituality and Healing in the Life and Death of Treya Killam Wilber
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/177175.Grace_Grit
The book was very helpful for me in dealing with mourning. Not just mourning the death of loved ones, but in dealing with loss and strength in general.
I think it might particularly resonate with you, having a pantheist background.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 05:07 pm
@MattDavis,
Again thanks Matt for that link
0 Replies