Another major school shooting today ... Newtown, Conn

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 09:57 am
@raprap,
raprap wrote:
In light of experience with recent shootings, I would hardly call large capacity magazines, a harmless cosmetic feature.

Rap

You demonstrated a fundamental inability to tell the difference between a gun and a magazine in one of the other threads too.
oralloy

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:00 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
oralloy wrote:
DC sniper was using a Bushmaster to make long-ranges shots about 10 years ago.

Hardly what I would call long range for a rifle.

He might not have won any competitions. But they were not close-up face-to-face shots either. If the gun had no accuracy whatsoever, he would not have been able to make those shots.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:01 am
@oralloy,

BUSHMASTER .308 ORC
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:03 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
raprap wrote:

In light of experience with recent shootings, I would hardly call large capacity magazines, a harmless cosmetic feature.

Quote:
oralloy wrote:
You demonstrated a fundamental inability to tell the difference between a gun and a magazine in one of the other threads too.

Truth!

Rap is under-informed
DrewDad

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:05 am
@H2O MAN,
A muzzle loader is to an AR-15, as your intelligence is to that of a syphilitic baboon.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:07 am
@DrewDad,
I don't know. Maybe these guys posting here need a volley of four hundred and fifty bullets to bring down a deer. That way the deer is already gutted and deboned. Good venison burger.
spendius

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:11 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Dont worry spendi, noone will confuse your peevishness with insight.

I'm not worried in the least. My post had a meaning you have obviously not discerned. So have others.

Quote:
I see that the Pa Bureau of Education is having a special "pre New Year" get together to discuss, organize and create some ideas that adress one of the areas I had brought up in this thread, that being the "retrofitting of schools" with security entrances and perimeter surveillance. Thats a start.

Which would cost, if it was up to stopping a determined and cunning nut-job, approximately how much and which other aspects of spending would have to be cut to pay for it?

And it certainly would go a long way to making the 50,000,000 kids anxious and inclined to get a gun when they are old enough. The nation's schools like armed camps.

Next swimming pools, ballet classes, sports training grounds etc etc until half the wealth is spent on defending against the guns the wealth of the other half has been used for. And still a determined and cunning nut-job will get through.

The charge is that the handwringers are selling guns by the truck load and if they don't do anything serious more guns will be the result of all their works.

What's clever about that? It's bleedin' obvious.

Cue--It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleedin'.
Ragman

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:12 am
@edgarblythe,
yes...poor shots that they be!
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:12 am
@oralloy,
Oraboy, have continually demonstrated the inability to present a cogent argument.

After all Oraboy has demonstrated repeatedly that he doesn't know the difference between a gamma ray and an X-ray.

Oh and I know enough about firearms to know that a 'wanna be assault rifle' without a magazine is at worst, a single shot, and at best, a stick.

Rap
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:15 am
@DrewDad,
Maybe you forgot, but you are also a member of the under-informed.

Thank you for reminding everyone of your ignorance.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:23 am
@spendius,
Quote:
stopping a determined and cunning nut-job

All it takes is a village of armed and determined 'good guy' citizens.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:24 am
@H2O MAN,
Waterdude your ignorance is only exceeded by your arrogance.

I know that the term 'Assault Rifle' is fuzzy term--I also know that a large capacity magazine is well defined.

It must suck to be you.

Rap

firefly

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:28 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Assault weapons are merely guns with certain harmless cosmetic features.

Has it ever occurred to you that the term "assault weapon" can, and should, be re-defined?

The capacity of these military-style weapons, to kill and wound many people rapidly, is not a "harmless cosmetic feature"--these weapons are designed for that purpose, to be efficient killing machines--and they are designed to be used in combat.

There is no rational reason for these types of weapons to be available to any civilian who wants them--including the terrorists who live in our midst. As Justice Scalia has already pointed out, certain types of dangerous weapons--dangerous to the general population--can be limited.

Just because a gun manufacturer wants to make money by peddling these military-type weapons, or high capacity ammunition clips, to our civilian population , does not mean they should be allowed to do so if that poses an unreasonable danger to our general population. Limiting the availability of these weapons, or certain types of ammunition, is a restriction on the manufacturer and distributor, and not on the alleged "rights" of gun owners.

Again, as Justice Scalia noted, the "right to bear arms" does not mean unrestricted access to any and all weapons which might be available now, or in the future. It definitely does not confer on gun manufacturers and distributors any "right" to freely make available any product which poses an unreasonable danger to the public, any more than a drug manufacturer can sell a pharmaceutical product with too high a risk of endangering the public, or an auto manufacturer can sell a car with an unacceptable risk of becoming a death trap. The products we allow for sale must not pose an unacceptable risk to public safety, they must not imperil "the general welfare" --and, the government's job is to institute controls to insure that.

The conversation about solutions to our problem with gun violence must include looking at the types of weapons, and ammunition, we allow in circulation, in terms of the danger they pose to the general welfare, with an aim toward restricting the potential damage to the general population as much as possible--just as we would do with any other products we allow for sale on the market.

Secondarily, we should implement and enforce much better control and regulation over the purchase of all guns. The problem with gun violence in this country is not only insane, it's a national disgrace, and the time to address it is long overdue. Responsible gun owners and enthusiasts recognize that, and also realize some compromises must be made. Those responsible people,who would like to see all guns banned, also realize that some compromises must be made. It's really between those two groups that a meaningful discussion, leading to some effective action, might occur.

Unfortunately, that sort of meaningful discussion is not what has been dominating this thread.
raprap

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:34 am
@H2O MAN,
I would challenge even you to conceive how the Newtown shooter could have shot a roomfull of children with a muzzleloader.

"Wait kids!" It takes me at least 30 seconds to reload--there are 20 of you, so it will all be over in 10 minutes."

Rap
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:48 am
@oralloy,
That particular model (Bushmaster /223 "military style" weapon) was cobbled together AFTER the 94 assault weapon ban foir just the opportunity to evade as many "definitional roadblocks " to its manufacture . They chose the big capacity magazine instead of several other cowmetic features (flash surpressor, flip out stock,bayonet mount, carry site, ).

Claiming it has use as a sporting gun still is in your camp. I say its a poor, low accuracy, gun made for killing people in urban environments)

The gun that Malvo uised was a different (sporting version) of this assault gun. I recall it when the cops held it up at a news conf. I believe it had the longer barrel. Bo foo would use such a small round for something big , AND of course, no fool would ue it for small game (LAws only allow shotguns for small game)
SO, I guess target practice on people is the "sporting use" that you are lewft with
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:53 am
@firefly,
There you go again, making sense to those who have no common sensory organs? Ever tire of talking to a brick wall?
farmerman

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:53 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
You do know that Newtown have security entrances now do you not?

Calling something "Security" and actually having it function as same are two different things. Lotsa people have security systems on their houses that consist of "signs" saying that they have security system. All you do is alert a thief to a time limit.

Im sure that what ever Sandy Hook had as security will now stand, sadly, as an idea that didnt work too well.
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:55 am
@firefly,
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:57 am
@raprap,
raprap wrote:
Oraboy

You engage in name-calling because you are too stupid to present an intelligent argument.

raprap wrote:
have continually demonstrated the inability to present a cogent argument.

You trash shouldn't run around falsely accusing your betters of your own inability to form an argument.

raprap wrote:
has demonstrated repeatedly that he doesn't know the difference between a gamma ray and an X-ray.

Liar.
firefly

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 10:57 am
@farmerman,
Quote:

Im sure that what ever Sandy Hook had as security will now stand, sadly, as an idea that didnt work too well.

Coumbine had an armed security guard and that didn't work too well either.