Earth to Msolga. Do you copy? Over!

spendius

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 04:29 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Our imminent second nuclear conflict

That won't destroy us. I took "destruction" literally. Only Nature can destroy us. Famine is obviously self-correcting and with disease there will be immunity even if it is only a small number.

Quote:
It means She might actually prefer we wipe ourselves out

Then She would have no worshippers and tell me a lady who would ever prefer that. But She must be obeyed. She, in the sense you mean, can only have her head twisted off her shoulders for so long.

You were ambiguous because you began your sentence with "She". I couldn't be sure you didn't mean Olga and that "Her" was a typo.
spendius

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 06:16 pm
@spendius,
I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincere regret at having upset my down-thumbers. Perhaps they would be better advised to follow Olga's example and avoid exposing themselves to ideas which disturb their emotional equilibrium so drastically.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 10:04 pm
@spendius,
Quote:

Quote:
That won't destroy us.
It did a pretty good job at Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Quote:
I took "destruction" literally. Only Nature can destroy us.
And we're part of Nature

Quote:
and with disease there will be immunity even if it is only a small number.
You're very optimistic, Spend

Quote:

Quote:
Then She would have no worshippers and tell me a lady who would ever prefer that.
Point well taken. However She has bestowed upon us freewill which makes it possible for us to destroy ourselves

Quote:
But She must be obeyed.
To the contrary, the very meaning of freewill is that She allows us to disobey, if that's what we're doing

Quote:
She, in the sense you mean, can only have her head twisted off her shoulders for so long.
Yes, you'd think She's already abandoned us

Quote:
You were ambiguous because you began your sentence with "She"
My apologies. Thought the Caps made it evident
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 10:04 pm
@spendius,

Quote:

Quote:
That won't destroy us.
It did a pretty good job at Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Quote:
I took "destruction" literally. Only Nature can destroy us.
And we're part of Nature

Quote:
and with disease there will be immunity even if it is only a small number.
You're very optimistic, Spend

Quote:

Quote:
Then She would have no worshippers and tell me a lady who would ever prefer that.
Point well taken. However She has bestowed upon us freewill which makes it possible for us to destroy ourselves

Quote:
But She must be obeyed.
To the contrary, the very meaning of freewill is that She allows us to disobey, if that's what we're doing

Quote:
She, in the sense you mean, can only have her head twisted off her shoulders for so long.
Yes, you'd think She's already abandoned us

Quote:
You were ambiguous because you began your sentence with "She"
My apologies. Thought the Cap made it evident
spendius

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 06:10 am
@dalehileman,
I think, dale, that you are confusing disturbances to your way of life with destroying ourselves.

By Nature I meant extra- terrestrial events.

I'm not convinced we have free will. It is a religious concept designed, I assume, to cheer us up a bit. As far as I'm aware no serious atheist thinks we have free will. Dilettantes being another matter of course.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 11:06 am
@farmerman,
BS farmerman, a discussion specific to Olga passed...

..but now it returns in a sense so you've keep her light aglow.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 11:21 am
@spendius,

Quote:
I think, dale, that you are confusing disturbances to your way of life with destroying ourselves.
I was thinking of the actual demise of all humanoids such as the "dirty bomb" that fanatics of the Near East will unleash at the first opportunity

Quote:
By Nature I meant extra- terrestrial events.
I'd have to agree w/ you, Spend, that big ones are pretty rare. Even the one that destroyed the dinos left a little bit of life

Quote:
I'm not convinced we have free will…. a religious concept…..
Our will Spend is surely not very free though we almost have to act as if it were

My feeling is that the entire freewill/determinism impasse is merely semantic

Quote:
It is designed, I assume, to cheer us up a bit.
Yes that's the basic brain bust of psychological bases

Quote:
As far as I'm aware no serious atheist thinks we have free will.
According to the general rule that nothing is entirely anything while everything is partly something else, I'll bet we could find one though if we Googled the subject

Quote:
Dilettantes being another matter of course.
How do you suppose they view us
JTT

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 12:16 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
I was thinking of the actual demise of all humanoids such as the "dirty bomb" that fanatics of the Near East will unleash at the first opportunity

Instead of just swallowing the propaganda, Dale, why not check the historical record?

It's the US that has done the big, dirty bombs, twice, square on a civilian population. This right after it fire bombed those same civilians. Then, of course we have the depleted uranium that the US ALREADY has spread over the Near East, the cluster bombs that the US spreads as toys for little kids to play with.

I ask this not out of anger but is this simply ignorance on your part or is it that same strain of hypocrisy that is the central tenet of the US?

dalehileman

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 01:27 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
…….why not check the historical record?
Oh I have, and as I recall it was around 1944

Quote:
It's the US that has done the big, dirty bombs, twice, square on a civilian population.
Yes of course, precisely

Quote:
This right after it fire bombed those same civilians.
Yes I know, it's absolutely deplorable, but how do these historical facts counter my assertions

Quote:
Then…..depleted uranium…..over the Near East, the cluster bombs…... for little kids……..
Yes, yea, a left-wing fanatic such as I couldn't agree more but you seem to have misunderstood my postings

Quote:
I ask this not out of anger
All right

Quote:
…...ignorance on your part or…...hypocrisy that is the central tenet…...
Sorry JTT but you'll have to elaborate. What did you suppose was my implication
JTT

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 01:55 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
What did you suppose was my implication

I was thinking of the actual demise of all humanoids such as the "dirty bomb" that fanatics of the Near East will unleash at the first opportunity.

I took this to mean that the "fanatics" were, in your mind, from the Near East, Dale.
spendius

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 02:18 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
According to the general rule that nothing is entirely anything while everything is partly something else, I'll bet we could find one though if we Googled the subject

You couldn't because my statement was tautological in the sense that a serious atheist is one who doesn't believe in free will.

Quote:
How do you suppose they view us

It will depend on the mood they are in or which specious argument they are making. That's why they are dilettantes.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 02:57 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
I took this to mean that the "fanatics" were, in your mind, from the Near East, Dale.
Yes JTT, I consider the religious extremists of the Near East as fanatics. Clearly we are misunderstanding one another's implications. So please show me how and where we're in disagreement
JTT

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 03:57 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Yes JTT, I consider the religious extremists of the Near East as fanatics. Clearly we are misunderstanding one another's implications. So please show me how and where we're in disagreement.

I think we can agree that there are some "fanatics" in the NE & the ME. But these are people that would be called 'patriots' if they were in and from the US. These would be people that would be making Hollywood movies and getting rich firing out the US propaganda line.

These people are fanatics because they are sick and tired of the US using and abusing the NE, the ME, the whole world as their own, to steal and murder people, innocent men women and children. What's fanatical about wanting a group of marauding pillagers to stop stealing and killing?

The truth is, Dale, that these NE fanatics don't come anywhere close, they're not even in the same ballpark or universe for that matter compared to the fanaticism that has been the US for well over a century.

It's the US that has been responsible for the deaths of somewhere in the range of ten million people just since WWII. And this US fanaticism has existed not for any noble ideals or causes; it's simply been a ploy to steal the wealth of other nations.

dalehileman

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 06:10 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
And this US fanaticism has existed not for any noble ideals or causes; it's simply been a ploy to steal the wealth of other nations.
I wonder if you're referring to capitalism

My reference to the fanaticism of the East is in their desecration of other religions and of women for instance
spendius

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 06:19 pm
@dalehileman,
I have some experience of Islamic mores in the immigrant community in England and the women run the show.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2012 06:20 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
My reference to the fanaticism of the East is in their desecration of other religions and of women for instance

I think you've been listening to way too much US propaganda, Dale.

Remember, the Taliban were the US's buddies until they decided that Unocal wouldn't be getting any pipeline concessions.

Remember, it is the US that has installed and kept most of the world's dictators in place. Did they ever care about anyone's rights, let alone women?

Remember that Iraq was one of the most modern, advanced countries of the ME until the US destroyed it with a embargo that cost the lives of half a million Iraqi children.

Those 500,000 dead Iraqi kids - that was not thought too big a price for Madeleine Albright.

What the US has done to the people of the NE kinda makes the other stuff seem like small potatoes, don't it?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 05:52 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:

I think, dale, that assertions of Islamic misogyny is a smoke screen to hide our own misogyny which has something diabolical about it.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 12:25 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
which has something diabolical about it.
Verily Spend, esp because over here in The West it's largely a subconscious phennom thus can't be addressed in the usu terms don't you agree

Still it's worse by far in the East where it isn't even suppressed and is asserted in concrete form such as eg execution of rape victim
spendius

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 12:28 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
such as eg execution of rape victim

I don't about that. I wasn't there. Such tales are mediated.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 12:52 pm
@spendius,
Spend I'm rapidly gaining the perhaps false and outrageous impression that you might be of Eastern descent and so you feel any such comment an affront, and if that's the case I most sincerely apologize

….although I've read many such reports and little to the contrary

….so you might set us straight