NASTY SANDY CHURNING UP THE COAST

BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 06:57 am
@ehBeth,
The program is run by the federal government and back by the federal government and if you have a hard time finding an insurance company in your area that will service such a policy I would suggest contacting the federal government flood insurance program directly.

http://www.usa.gov/directory/federal/national-flood-insurance-program.shtml

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 07:04 am
@BillRM,
That won't work in Canada eh.

Like I said, it varies by jurisdiction.

I personally think that if you're goofy enough to live in a flood or storm or earthquake or volcano or .... zone, you should be responsible for the outcome. I'm definitely not a fan of governments being involved in property insurance.
BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 07:15 am
@ehBeth,
Hell who care about Canadians as they were the onces who did not wish to become part of the US and even turn down Franklin when we send him to Canada to talk about joining our revolution.......... Drunk

We even kept the offer open in our articles of confederation.

Now as far as the government taking part in insurance without that backing there would be not way for the majority of citizens to be able to have mortgages and the economic would come to a halt.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 07:55 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Now as far as the government taking part in insurance without that backing there would be not way for the majority of citizens to be able to have mortgages and the economic would come to a halt.

Oddly enough Canada's economy has been outperforming the U.S. for some time. How did that happen? It should have come to a halt about 50 years ago.

Perhaps there are a lot of people who shouldn't have had mortgages or houses in the U.S. Wait - you had a housing bubble that burst. Quel surprise.

~~~

Yes. I know. You despise Canadians. You've mentioned it often enough over the years.
JPB

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 08:08 am
@BillRM,
And, why is it run by the federal government and backed by the federal government? Because the private sector Ins cos refused to take it on. And now they go out of their way in natural disasters to call damages flood-related so that they don't have to take large losses (which all come back to us in the form of higher general premiums anyway). I hurl whenever I see "like a good neighbor" or "your in good hands" advertising.
BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 09:47 am
@ehBeth,
You mean everyone near a river or the oceans should not have a mortgage which happen to be the majority of the homes in the US.

Somehow I do not think we all will all fit on top of the mountains but I guess we could move to the deserts if need be.................
BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 10:05 am
@JPB,
I am not an expert on insurances but I would assume that the reason for the problem is that the insurances companies can not have the reserves it would take to handle say a cat 5 hurricane hitting NYC for example so there need to be a reinsurance with deep enough pockets to handle such an event.

That is the federal government.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 10:07 am
@BillRM,
I don't think there's a need for cities to continue to develop communities in floodplains. On top of the ecological mess that creates, we've known for decades now that it's risky for humans.

Florida as a whole is way over-developed and badly developed relative to the realities of the the environment there. Governments that allowed continued large-scale development in the north-eastern corridor of the U.S. did not do the best they could for their citizens. New Jersey is a particular bugbear for me - terrific farmland taken over by suburbs. Blerrrgh. Supporting that development by backing insurance, by giving tax credits on mortgages - I see all of that as very bad. Bad government and silliness by people not thinking about the riskiness of their location. And the reason they don't have to think about it - government-backing when things go wrong.

You didn't think much of the weather forecasts. I don't think much of planning that allows people to continue to build in inappropriate places.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 10:10 am
@BillRM,
The reinsurers are very involved, financially, with Sandy.

Take a google second and look.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 10:44 am
@ehBeth,
Sorry but cites had always been mainly located near the sea or major rivers for economic reasons of trade.

NYC is one of the biggest seaports in the world beside all the other things NYC happen to be.

So are all the other large cities on the seaboard are port cities including even the cities that are back from the sea but connected to it by way of major rivers such as Philadelphia.

Detroit and Chicago are on the shores of the great lakes who are in fact fresh water inland seas.

You are not going to have the population move from the seaboards and the rivers even with our current technology as ships are still the cheapest means of moving cargo around the world.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 03:32 pm
Just hear that the police are rescuing people from seaside heights at gun point/police force if need be.................

Love the damn government and it idea of rescuing people.
sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 03:35 pm
@BillRM,
Actually this made an impression on me. From Humans of New York:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/60672_381124425294997_1438114024_n.jpg

The caption:

Quote:
"I was going to ride it out, but a police officer knocked on my door at 7:30 and told me that if I didn't leave, I was going to jail. Sure glad he came by."
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 03:54 pm
@sozobe,
The sadest story I have seen so far is a mom, dad and 8 year old girl in Seaside Heights...they did not leave because last year when they left for Irene their house was badly robbed. Dad and daughter are now dead. Last I heared mom was in critical condition.

BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 03:57 pm
@sozobe,
Sorry the storm is over and for the people who stay in the town during the storm they are now planning on using force to removed them from their homes and properties against their wishes.

You will be rescue from your home even if we need to use deadly force to do so it would seems.

Of course it might be bad enough PR that the government might back down if face with arm resistant to them over their 'rescue plans.
BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 04:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
Odd Hawkeye I had not hear that anyone die in the storm in Seaside Heights in fact I had read that no one was kill in the town.

If possible please give a link to such a story.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 04:10 pm
@BillRM,
Many people dont have any homes to be rescued FROM. 2 Kids were killed in Seaside
Death toll is officially at 100 +/- .

It was a flood of major proportion due, in part, to sea level rise but mostly due to wave fetch. People who remained at their homes are to be pitied for being so damn dumb >They wantd to remain with possessions that ultimately got washed away and then these people had to be rescued by other folks who are risking their own lives.
If everyone thinks as Bill, I can understand why the recueers get annoyed and would consider somekind of restraint on te rescuees.

Noone has been using deadly force. You still have your head up your ass Bill for making **** up like that.

have you handled mercury in your woking years?
BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 04:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
Oh people all over the place are killing themselves by running generators in their homes or too near their homes and CO gas did them in.

I guess if you live in an area where the need for generators are rare that lack of knowledge can be deadly.

Not only do I know not to run such equipments in the home or near the home but I had two battery power CO detectors as an added safety factor when running generators.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 04:16 pm
@farmerman,
They had stated that force will be use by the police to removed people from their homes in Seaside Heights if needed.

Next please give links to news stories concerning deaths in seaside heights from the storm.
BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 04:26 pm
@farmerman,
Oh in doing a google search looking for deaths in seaside during Sandy for some reason google pull up a story of two boys falling through the ice in the bay sometimes in the past and one of them dying but it sure did not have anything to do with hurricane Sandy as the bay does not even have ice on it now!!!!!!!!

So Farmerman give me a link on the death of anyone in Seaside heights during this storm.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 04:34 pm
@BillRM,
Just to be clear this is now after the storm they are planning on removing people from the town by force if need be.................
0 Replies