NASTY SANDY CHURNING UP THE COAST

farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 09:20 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Sorry I am not impress that New Yorkers are being inconvenience for a week or so by a cat one storm

Thats cause youre a douche bag.

Noone ever implied or hinted that this thread was about YOU. If you dont care about others , Id suggest you move to some cave in Kentucky. I , for one, can do without your self congatulatory tripe. You are aoutdoing spendi (except that he can speak proper English)
BillRM

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 09:30 am
@farmerman,
Sorry Farmerman but your comments does not change the fact that in the scheme of things this cat one storm is not up there in the first rank of natural disasters the US had suffer in even recent history and to the degree that it is being blown up to that standing it is being hype.

Somehow I had the feelings that say the people of New Orleans who went through a hit of a major hurricane and had major floodings would consider the New Yorkers current problems as serous.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 09:49 am
@Ragman,
So not: digitally imported; deionized water; diabetes insipidus; direct injection; diagnostic imaging.
Actually, I knew DI as drill instructor - just completely forgot.. thanks.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 10:08 am
@BillRM,
It wasn't just a Cat One storm, you retard. Excuse my language. Whatever you want to call it (SuperStorm), look at the devastation it caused. That's all that's important. And why compare it to Katrina or any other - what's the point of comparisons?

This is an event that stands on its own. They're now saying up to $50 billion in damage. Some people are still sitting on their roofs (idiots who didn't evacuate)... loss of life, what is it - 6.5 million or something without power? NJ is a story in itself.

This was major. And I think you should shut up.
BillRM

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 10:43 am
@Mame,
Coming up with numbers like 50 billions dollars is part of the hype and take note in my old home town of Seaside Heights for example 25 percents of the town of Seaside Heights did not follow orders like good sheep or in your world view idiots and yet no one was kill and as far as I know harm. By property damage this town was hit very hard but no deaths. Hell it is build on what amount on a large sand bar and still no deaths.

Now six millions being without power say more about the power companies of the north east then the storm. Hell when it make land fall it was not even a hurricane.

It was a flooding/surge event along the coast not a wind event and the people not directly on the shore line should not had lost power for more then a day.

The north east was not prepare for even a cat one or less.

If it has hit south florida instead of the north east it would had been a very minor event indeed.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 12:01 pm
@BillRM,
As my niece would say: "You are not just stupid, you are awesomely stupid".
BillRM

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 12:35 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
"You are not just stupid, you are awesomely stupid".

LOL that nice but the fact is if you wish to roll the dice and not run the cost of hardening your infrastructure to deal with even a cat 1 then do not try to sell the idea that this was some super storm that cause all the results that naturally follow from the decision to not spend the money.

Not only was the infrastructure lacking the procedures to reduce harm from a storm was also not in place and you could see that when a major sub-station transformer self-destruct in New York giving an impression image.

In south florida when a storm hit that might cause damage to the power grid the power is cut and if that had been done in New York it is unlikely that a large part of the city power grid would had been harm to the point that parts of the city is still without power.

But the the networks channels base in NYC would not had been happy as most of them do not seems to had back up power either and then would had been off the air.

Being fat and happy does not turn a cat 1 into a super storm.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 02:24 pm
@Green Witch,
I've read some really stupid comments by this poster- but here I totally agree with niece (I know some German words which describe it better).
BillRM

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 04:19 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
I've read some really stupid comments by this poster- but here I totally agree with niece (I know some German words which describe it better).

LOL................
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 06:23 pm
A former MBTA official who dealt with flooding in Boston says that it likely will take the MTA a YEAR! To get fully back online...
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 08:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
MTA is claiming today that once they get the water out and get power then they are about ready to roll. I am scepticle. We will see if we end up with a big crash like we had in DC after system failure.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 10:44 pm
And many homeowners are about to find out that the premiums they've been paying for years won't cover much (if any) of the damages incurred during the storm. Homeowner's insurance only covers wind damage. Any damage that was caused by water isn't insured by homeowners policies unless they carry federal flood insurance, which is only typically offered to those living in flood zones. Welcome to the world of post-Katrina LA and MS. Most of the damages in NY, NJ, CN, and RI were water related.

Somebody tell me again what a wonderful thing the free market insurance industry is for Americans.

Quote:
Mortgage lenders typically require homeowners to carry flood insurance if they live in flood-prone areas. But Sandy’s record storm surge reached homes on higher ground that had not previously been considered high risk, according to Robert Hunter at the Consumer Federation of America.

“These surges went further than a lot of people expected,” he said. “So a lot of people don’t have flood insurance."

It will take weeks to determine just how many homeowners will have to pay for repairs out of pocket. But the statistics aren’t encouraging.

In New Jersey, where the monster storm made landfall, there are more than 2.2 million single-family homes in the state’s 20 coastal counties, according to Census data. Of those, only 231,000 – or about one in 10 – had a National Flood Insurance policy as of September 2011, according to FEMA data.

One big reason: While flood insurance typically is required by mortgage lenders, more than half a million homes in those counties don’t have a mortgage.

Homeowners who suffered damage in the storm also could get tripped up by a clause in their policies known as an “anti-concurrent causation” provision.

Basically, the clause means that if your house was damaged by two different causes, say wind and flood, but you can’t prove which one, the insurer doesn’t have to pay you anything.

“If you have wind coverage but no flood coverage, they may say you get zero,” said CFA's Hunter. More
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 11:35 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
The risk modeling firm Eqecat estimated insured losses from Hurricane Sandy would be between $5 and $10 billion, while total economic losses would be between $10-20 billion. The catastrophe modeling firm AIR Worldwide put the projected insured losses between $7 and $15 billion. This does not include payouts to be made by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/01/the-economic-losses-from-superstorm-sandy-continue-to-mount.html

if insurance covers 50% or more of the loses then I think that counts as a win. That said I think loses will be far above $20 billion.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 11:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Superstorm Sandy will end up causing about $20 billion in property damages and $10 billion to $30 billion more in lost business, according to IHS Global Insight, a forecasting firm

Read more: http://business.time.com/2012/10/31/hurricane-sandy-estimated-to-cost-60-billion/#ixzz2B2b1hgMV

sounds right....
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 12:53 am
@hawkeye10,
again

Quote:
Superstorm Sandy will ultimately be known as one of the costliest economic disasters ever experienced in the U.S. An estimated $50 billion will be lost as a result of the storm, says Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Analytics.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/hurricane-sandy-ranks-among-worst-economic-disasters-mark-182707911.html
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 03:28 am
@JPB,
we had some damage to a new building. The adjsuter was here yesterday and we could prove that the wind caused damage to the siding at one spot. That resulted in water seepage into the interiro dry wall. That had to be removed and replaced along with insulation. The dmage was covered and didnt invokde a "Hurricane clause" Where there is a deductible for hurricanes. Our peak winds were not 75 mph, just 68 mph, but the direction they came was unique .

The riders and deductibles and cpecific coverage have been eye opening so, while were not a typical "Hurricane alley" area, we will be looking at our coverage for the future. (Im sure that premiums will be adjusted bsed on this storm and Agnes in 1972)
BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 04:25 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
The riders and deductibles and cpecific coverage have been eye opening so, while were not a typical "Hurricane alley" area, we will be looking at our coverage for the future. (Im sure that premiums will be adjusted bsed on this storm and Agnes in 1972)

The states involve with Sandy had informed the insurance companies that the hurricane riders on the insurance polices is not in effect as Sandy was not a hurricane when it hit the shore.
BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 06:30 am
@BillRM,
I can only wonder if someone or two someones here work or own stocks in the insurance companies that they voted down the good news that the extra deductibles for hurricanes is not going to be in force for Sandy as it was not legally a hurricane when it hit the shore line according to the involved states governments at least.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 06:44 am
@JPB,
Quote:
which is only typically offered to those living in flood zones

You are normally not force to buy flood insurance by mortgage companies if you do not live in a flood zone but you can buy such insurance anywhere in the US so that is no excuse for not having it.

The government from time to time run public service announcements on TV and radio explaining those facts.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2012 06:51 am
@BillRM,
I find it interesting to see how different the availabilities and requirements are by jurisdiction.

Here you pretty much can't buy flood insurance if you live in a 100 year (or less) flood plain. Not just not offered, insurers won't sell it to even if you specifically ask. It came up with the mother of a friend of mine. She lives in a 50 year flood plain in my home town - she couldn't get anyone to sell her flood insurance. As I recall, a similar thing happened when hamburgboy tried to get earthquake insurance. We don't get many earthquakes in Eastern Ontario but apparently since there is potential for earthquakes he couldn't get the coverage.