NASTY SANDY CHURNING UP THE COAST

farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 02:58 pm
@farmerman,
Christie is now being towed into the Barnegatt Inlet so he may lessen the storm intensity.
Whata guy.

DAve, a "Bight" is a crescent shaped indentation in a shoreline. On the EAst Cpast we have several from the South T bight from Fla to Hatteras, the Mid ATlantic from Norfolk to about NY (LI) and then the NE.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 03:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
Better to be prepped and not need it than to not be prepped and suffer disaster.
The Hurricane path forecasts are another effort that weve turned over to computers
jcboy

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 03:07 pm
@farmerman,
Blew right past Florida! Although it has been a lot more windy then normal the last few days.
farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 03:09 pm
@jcboy,
I wish that N ATlantic High would get a move on and quit steering this bitch into our faces so it cant meet up wth that shitstorm from Canadia
BillRM

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 03:24 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
Blew right past Florida! Although it has been a lot more windy then normal the last few days.

It kind of nice that Florida is not needing to deal with this one but that the NY and NJ areas are instead and it is highly amusing the degree they can blow up a barely cat one when they are the ones looking at it coming toward them.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 03:38 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Better to be prepped and not need it than to not be prepped and suffer disaster.
The Hurricane path forecasts are another effort that weve turned over to computers

This issue here I think is that the DC power company is widely reguarded as being one of the worst in the nation for storm readiness and storm recovery....don't expect a lot of honestly about that though, the elite will instead play up the badness of the storm beyond all reason.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 03:51 pm
@farmerman,
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/washed-away-highway-in-wawa-ont-could-partially-reopen-in-days-1.1013338

this is from the storm that's sitting on top of us right now - apparently it's heading north about an hour east of here as it hasn't hit the city hamburgboy lives in though it's been raining for about 24 hours here (and they usually get our storms about 6 hours later)

http://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.1012522!/httpImage/image.jpeg_gen/derivatives/landscape_620/image.jpeg

if this cold wet front hits hot wet the way they're forecasting it'll be a crapload of trouble - I hope one of the two storms takes a mind to change direction

this motel was split in half Shocked

http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/e72/news/national/article4709780.ece/ALTERNATES/w220/wawa27nw1.JPG
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 04:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
As we saw in NYC last year governement will play up the badness of storms in order to have a ready excuse for their half-assed job of managing the effect of storms....."it is not OUR fault, that storm was just bad man".....

I have been watching the railroads pull the same ****...stuff that they used to operate through for the last 70 years now shuts them down, but according to them it is all about how bad the storms are, not their half assed attempts.
farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 04:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkee, Im glad Im not as super-cynical as you. You seem to think everyone is either incompetent or criminal.
The weather services are big players in ag planning.

Weve got a highly advanced means of predicting WHERE a storms gonna go, conversely, weve got a poor record of being able to predict its intensity.
On Hurricane Irene last year, the mass of dry air that was sucked into the vortwx saved a lot of damage in the mid Atlantic, but focused the really heavy rains into the Vermont N H and MAss areas.
This storm is too far out to sea to enable it to suck in dry air through the passes of the Appalachians, and theres another storm coming east.
We are prepping for a bad storm, rain and wind. I hope youre cynicism is correct. Hoever, I dont like to gamble when it comes to my property.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 05:28 pm
@farmerman,
I think that I am on solid ground in my belief that our society has during my lifetime become more risk averse, less with a can do additude, more feminine, more full of fear less capable and more willing to generate excuses for not gettting the job done.

Cynicism has nothing to do with it, these are statements of fact.
farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 06:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
Thinking one is on "Solid ground" was what all the megafauna thought as they jumped onto the backs of their prey in the La Brea Tar Pits.

I simply dont share your opinions , especially since you seem to be conflating a natural phenomenon with a political worldview and then civilization in general. Interesting but hardly relevant.

Why is response to a weather forecast based on state-of-the-art science considered "risk aversion"? and whats your sociological definition of "feminine"?
and why is it symptomatic of some downward spiral?
Sometimes your limited viewfiled clouds your horizon. Are you of marriageable age and do you have children? Im curious because of some of your recent positions
farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 07:04 pm
@farmerman,
You seem to read more into the weather forecasts on the Weather Channel than I do. As you recall, the eather Channel is a business model based upon a 24 hour weather news cycle. People like it and the channel produces much valuable information. Do they over"churn" > Sure, but have you watched NFL football or NASCAR or even humble soccer. They do it cause it sells. The subsidiaries of the Weather Channel make significant bucks advising farmers and ranchers of crop and livestock actions that affect the ag markets. Billions are made (rarely ost) from crop advisories or weather fronts and drying/harvesting.
Commodity trading is very weather driven and if you think thats risk averse youre nuts
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 09:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
These storm fronts have smack potential for being a multi storm, as adequately described by other posters.

What would you like, they don't mention this? This configuration is not usual.
Can neither of you read?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 09:26 pm
@ossobuco,
By the way, I keep seeing an ad here and elsewhere showing women in my area with very stressed faces and apparent arrest records.

Anyone know why this is legally ok, to splay their faces around?
I don't mean re a2k, I mean re their faces being used in the first place by whatever marketer.
roger

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 09:56 pm
@ossobuco,
A conviction is public information. Maybe the fact of an arrest is, as well. It's also possible (probable) the information is fictitious.
BillRM

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 10:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Calling a storm a monster when it is barely a cat one and other emotionally loaded words on the news is overdoing it by a country mile.

Hell how would they deal with a cat 3 or higher storm if they are naming and reacting to a weak cat one as if it was a cat 5?
ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 10:14 pm
@BillRM,
the cat one is not the issue - it is what it may do when it combines with the storm coming from the west - it has potential to be nasty

they won't know for sure for days if they will combine, but it would be stupid not to be alert to the potential

the storm travelling from the west has already done significant damage in Ontario - the highway it took a chunk out of is similar to I-81 in its importance as a transportation corridor in Northern Ontario - it's not trivial
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 10:21 pm
@roger,
I've more to say on that but it was dumb of me to start it as a tangent.

Back to Sandy.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 11:01 pm
@BillRM,
If it were in Italy, I would say they were afraid of going to jail if they underestimated it, and someone died.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 01:43 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

If it were in Italy, I would say they were afraid of going to jail if they underestimated it, and someone died.

what if they over estimate it and thus cause an unnecessary $10 billion economic hit due to lost productivity?