NASTY SANDY CHURNING UP THE COAST

farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 08:57 am
@farmerman,
The cleanup and repair bills are gonna be totalling in the ten billion to 20 billion neighbrghood .

Seems like most of the loss of life was in NY nd most of the cash damage (to date) will be in New Jersey. One fatality occured around us . Down in Chester County a little 8 year old kid ran out to check his calves in a pen during the height of the storm . He was crushed by a flying tree limb , it was down in Franklin Township, Chster County. Wasnt an Amish Kid , was a kid in 4H who hd his firt project
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 10:23 am
@farmerman,
Farmerman you can not keep all the stations dry but you could have water tight or nearly water tight doors that could divide the tunnels/system into sections and keep those section dry by pumping.

There seems no reason to allow flooding coming into the system in one small area to flood 50 miles or more of tunnels!!!!!!!

BillRM

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 10:31 am
@farmerman,
Sorry but they were hyping this storm on the weather channel for their own reasons and it got so bad and people I assume complained about it to them that they needed to make a public on air statement that they was not hyping the storm.

I am use to the news media hyping storms and go to the national weather website as the hype get very old.
farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 11:05 am
@BillRM,
the subway isnt all 50 miles of flooding. Rmember, there are grdes and some ares are dry but other areas have 70 ft of water that rushed in in less than 10 minutes when the tidal surge hit. Youd have to clear the way and get all the people out of the way before you could activate the "Storm doors". Im afraid its a good idea that probably would work witha total rebuild of the subway. Not a retrofit. We know so much more about tunneling and puddling and subway tubing than they did 100 years ago (when most of the subway in NYC was installed)

Washington DC's metro is a series of interlacing elliptical tubes made of several layers and these were clad on the interiro so they would be better leakproofed. Also DC has a series of nodal sub pumps that occur where several of the lines converge. This was done in the 1980's and took several years of installation and inconvenience. The result is todays (or at least 1980's) technology but we have better materials today than even then.
farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 11:08 am
@BillRM,
I assume that there are a bunch of curmudgeons out there just like you Bill. Theres always a bunch of people who feel they know better than the rest of us. Maybe you shouldnt spnd so much time in front of your tv
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 11:11 am
Oh one of my two old home towns seaside height got hit hard and the boardwalk that is the economic engine of the town is all but destroy however from the pictures most of the homes look intact.

Now why would it had been wise to leave my old home four blocks from the ocean that is 12 feet or more off the ground as there is a garage below the home and the house is build of blocks and bricks construction to go to a shelter?

There is always weeks of food and water and more then one generator with fuel in any home I live in.

In fact my current home not only have two generators but I have a number of deep cycle batteries and large DC/AC inverters. I added that after feeling bad for my neighbors in running generators at night in the aftermath of one storm so I can now go to batteries and not annoyed my neighbors late at night.

Of course I did end up being my own power company for some of them so that does reduce the likelihood of the neighbors complaining over the noise when they are getting a few KW hours.

In any case I do not need the government to take care of myself or my family needs during a storm nor do I need the government to order me to leave my home.

farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 11:14 am
@BillRM,
Well folks. We seem to have beaten this poor dead horse to a pulp. Id like to declare my thread closed . MAybe someone can start another about Cleanup after Sandy.

Course youall do what you please.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 11:25 am
@farmerman,
Farmerman I used the Washington DC subway system when visiting the city the last time leaving the car on the outskirt of the town and was very impressed with it.

However I would love to see a study that would come to the conclusion that the New York system could not be greatly harden against flooding events for a reasonable cost.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 01:30 pm
I went with my parents to Seaside Heights, NJ, when I was a kid. I wasn’t old enough to care about the nightlife and I've never seen an episode of Jersey Shore. I remember the rides, the video arcades, and winning prizes at the booths. Also the great pizza and that fun house where I ran across the shaky bridge and skinned my knee really bad. I have a good family memory on that boardwalk and I'm pretty sure most of those places are gone now. I actually have to agree with Chris Christie. They will rebuild but the old Seaside Heights is probably gone.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 02:05 pm
Wind Map: http://hint.fm/wind

Wish I had remembered that earlier, the hurricane must have looked amazing on the map. Even you you can still see some rotation in the patterns.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 05:49 am
@jcboy,
Its really sad about the Jersey Shore. They were showing some pix of the devestation and its going to be a long time, if its ever, going to be put back together.

Many friends have summer places in Towns like Avalon or Stone Harbor and CApe MAy. Those places have also suffered the water damage (mostly0
BillRM

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 06:09 am
@farmerman,
I remember seaside heights when a slice of pizza on the boardwalk cost all of 25 cents and the naval blimps used to fly over the town on their way to patrolling the off shore Atlantic ocean and you could shot 'real' sub-machine guns that used 22 shorts at shooting galleries..

No parent had any fear in allowing their children to run free either on the boardwalk.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 06:46 am
@farmerman,
I've been worried about Cape May, we went there this summer and I fell in love with it. Looks like aside from a lot of displacement of sand, it's not in that bad of shape:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/10/cape_may_residents_dodge_a_bul.html
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 07:12 am
The one side effect of Sandy is it is helping the New York mayor campaign to reduce the average weight of New Yorkers by getting them to walk for many miles to get to work.

Maybe he should keep the subways shut down.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 08:14 am
@BillRM,
People in NYC tend to be one of the fittest populations in the nation. Oh, and by the way, has anyone told you you are insensitive asshole recently? If not, please consider it done.
farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 08:51 am
@Green Witch,
75 people killed as a result of the storm, 20 BILLION damage (not including lost revenues), and Bill is still going along like this has been a joke based upon some percieved "Hype"
Bills got his own issues with reality . He reminds me of a DI who said
"I may not always be right but Im never wrong. Get It ladies??"
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 09:00 am
@farmerman,
What is a DI? (it's not in urban dictionary)
BillRM

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 09:00 am
@Green Witch,
Quote:
People in NYC tend to be one of the fittest populations in the nation

That why the mayor of New York justify the soda container size ban to fight all the overweight New Yorkers........!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgot the percent he gave for the numbers of fat new yorkers but it was large indeed.

Quote:
Oh, and by the way, has anyone told you you are insensitive asshole recently?

When and till New Yorkers face more then a few days to a week or so of inconveniences then I will feel for them.

Like say a month to six months of no power but for home generators and poor to no phone services for the same time period and 50,000 homes wipe out.

Where people have to patrol their own neighborhoods arm with shotguns ETC to keep the looters at bay for months as the normal law enforcement was barely up and running for that time period.

Oh and when the federal government helpfully send the airborne in but then refused to allow them to carry ammunitions for their rifles so the local gangs could have fun picking on them.

It was so bad for a time that even postal employees broke federal laws and arm themselves for their own protection.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 09:08 am
@farmerman,
Yes indeed how about 32 billions dollars in 1990s dollars and all in a small area of one county and 50,000 plus homes wipe in that same small area with the infrastructure so harm it took over a year to get in back to something like normal.

Sorry I am not impress that New Yorkers are being inconvenience for a week or so by a cat one storm.
Ragman

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2012 09:15 am
@ossobuco,
DI = Drill Instructor (as referred to by Marines)