NASTY SANDY CHURNING UP THE COAST

farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 05:40 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

the one and only place that i was wrong (and I know that you want me to be wrong) was that I thought that there was no chance that the storm would be worse than the worse case projections, because the "experts" always inflate the projected consequences because they will not often get vilified for over estimating, and because they know that those in power want scare stories to sell
This complete and utter bullshit and attempts at backpedalling on your part. You started the harangue that storms are "Always hyped beyond reality" and as such you nd Billy were trying to make some kind of point that evac is more dangerous than sitting tight.

As far a "Me wanting you to be wrong", you did that to yourself , now your trying to pull a Romney "WELL THIS IS WHAT I MEANT" I have no dog in that fight except that I was preparing for the storm and was using this thread as an information center. I dont think I really needed two self appointed "Weather experts" to basically poo poo the Weather services predictions (WHICH, as it turned out, were almost 100% spot on ) .
I was busy battening down and prepping for the blow. We got brifely nailed becaue the storm decided to pick up speed as it got near us,SO, while NJ got the brunt, we got a brush of 85mph winds and, except for about 10 trees , my garden pergola, and a damn power line to a well pump in the back woods area we got off somehwat lucky.
sozobe

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 05:53 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
the Weather services predictions (WHICH, as it turned out, were almost 100% spot on ) .

Nate Silver, on Twitter, wrote:
CAN'T BELIEVE METOROLOGISTS USED MATH AND SCIENCE TO PREDICT THIS STORM. THEY MUST BE MAGIC WIZARDS.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 06:29 am
@satt fs,
satt fs - it is marvellous to see you at A2K again. You have been very much missed.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 06:30 am
@farmerman,
thank you for that map fman

very interesting
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 06:38 am
@ehBeth,
thank you, ehBeth.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 06:45 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
The granite that underlays Manhattan is very hard & strong, but it is not entirely waterproof. Creating a watertight environment

You do know that most of the water come from two tunnels drill many hundreds of feet deep in that granite and a third such tunnel is now being drill.

Off hand I do not know what liner if any are used with those tunnels

Second you do not need a complete water tight environment as pumps can pump one hell of a lot of water and should have no problem keeping up with small openings that might allow some water into the tunnels.
hamburgboy

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 07:08 am
@satt fs,
welcome back , satt fs !
you have been missed !
hope you will stay for a while !
hbg

for satt fs , the lover of Brahms :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X9LvC9WkkQ
JPB

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 07:10 am
@hamburgboy,
Agreed!

How are you, hbg?
hamburgboy

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 07:15 am
@JPB,
jpb ,
thanks for asking .
aside from some rain and wind , Sandy didn't bother us .
by thursday morning it'll be leaving us for the Maritimes ... and will not be missed Wink
JPB

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 07:19 am
@hamburgboy,
It's good to see you posting as well.

<waves to satts!> I still have your cherry blossom picture beside my computer.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 07:26 am
@hamburgboy,
hamburgboy wrote:

welcome back , satt fs !
you have been missed !
hope you will stay for a while !
hbg

for satt fs , the lover of Brahms :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X9LvC9WkkQ

Thank you, hamburgboy.
By the way, I had found german style beers were not uncommon in NYC, and I enjoyed them very much when I stayed there.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 07:39 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
storm and was using this thread as an information center.

Odd as I was using the national hurricane center myself for that purpose and I never had a problem with them just the weather channel and such over hyping the storm and the government ordering citizens not to use their own judgments but depend on big daddy government orders instead.

From what size soda containers to buy, to women breast feeding or not breast feeding or running to the hills or not running to the hills from a storm it is the citizens who should have those decisions in their own hands not the government.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Thomas

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 07:48 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Where is Thomas?

I'm in a world with no power, no electricity, no TV, no landline, and---up to a few minutes ago---no cell network. (I'm writing this from my iphone, which is a pain in the index finger.) It's all very peaceful now. I'm okay.
Ragman

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 07:49 am
@Thomas,
Glad to see you're accounted for. Hope normalcy returns soon for you.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 08:07 am
@Thomas,
Glad you're ok.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 08:08 am
@Thomas,
Thanks for checking in. Sucks about the no electricity bit though.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 08:42 am
@BillRM,
youre in my court bill.
Water entry is all over the subway and even though we have mine pumps capable of 10K gpm it would take an army of them because the ater entry into the subways was ALMOST INSTANTANEOUS, sorta like the failures on the wards of New Orleans. Youd never keep up. Thats why they shut em down so as not to seize and further foul the pumps with water (and worse SALT WATER). So by cutting off the power, they probably saved the system.

farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 08:44 am
@Thomas,
Jersey got hammered, sorry to hear that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 08:50 am
@Thomas,
Good to see you're ok. It'll definitely be better with electricity eh.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 08:51 am
@BillRM,
Quote:

Odd as I was using the national hurricane center myself for that purpose and I never had a problem with them just the weather channel and such over hyping the storm and the government ordering citizens not to use their own judgments but depend on big daddy government orders instead.
Not everyone is "Gifted" with the HAwkee and Billy insights that override the entire talent pool of NOAA and the Weather Channel (BTW the new director for NOAA's Hurricane Center IS a former WEATHER CHANNEL METEOROLOGIST-)