How Many White People Will Vote for Romney Because He's White?

Below viewing threshold (view)
revelette

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 08:23 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
For instance, in 2004, the Rev. Al Sharpton ran for president of the United States. Now, we know he's black, but a ton of black folks didn't even think of supporting him during his run or send him a dime. I recall betting a black New York media executive a big steak dinner that Sharpton would not win the primary in South Carolina, where nearly half of the voters are black. He was adamant it would happen, citing the Rev. Jesse Jackson's win there in 1988. Sharpton didn't win.

During that same primary, former U.S. Sen. Carol Moseley Braun also ran for the Democratic nomination. Her campaign was about as ineffectual as Sharpton's, and few people, even black folks, backed her.

Quote:
and Powell owes Sununu and no one else an explanation other that what he said on CBS's morning show, citing Romney's confusing foreign policy views and Obama's steady leadership.

"When he took over, the country was in very, very difficult straits. We were in one of the worst recessions we had seen in recent times, close to a depression," Powell said. "We were in real trouble.

"I saw over the next several years stabilization come back in the financial community. Housing is now starting to pick up after four years. It's starting to pick up. Consumer confidence is rising. So I think generally, we've come out of the dive, and we're starting to gain altitude. It doesn't mean we are problem solved. There are lots of problems still out there. The unemployment rate is too high. People are still hurting in housing. But I see that we are starting to rise up."

source
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 08:36 am
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/545333_167213666752740_410405149_n.jpg
revelette

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 08:50 am
@H2O MAN,
Washington Post endorsement: Four more years for President Obama

More Newspapers Endorse President Obama’s Re-Election
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 08:54 am
The good news is that once Romney is president all newspapers
that are competitive in the market now will thrive once again
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 08:55 am
@H2O MAN,
Wow! That's shocking! A Rupert Murdoch owned paper AKA the skankiest newspaper in the country endorses Romney. Rolling Eyes
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 09:04 am
@tsarstepan,

It's far better to endorse Romney than to endorse Obama AKA the skankiest president ever.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 10:50 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

snood wrote:

I think its interesting how a couple of folks have had to stop by and make the point that yeah, some whites might vote for Romney because he's white but not nearly as much as blacks who vote for Obama because he's black! Don't you think that's interesting?

I'm not aware that anyone here made such an assertion.

Actually I made a point approaching snood's assertion:

I wrote:
I've no doubt that a great many white people will vote for Romney because he is white just as an even greater number of black people will vote for Obama because he is black.

For some reason snood finds this interesting, which in itself is interesting.

I don't know if he thought he was going to get a series of numerical responses, or, if he believes anyone could know the answer to his question, or if in fact he has the actual number in a sealed envelope waiting to be opened on November 7th, but maybe he'll tell us (or already has further along the thread).

This is a discussion forum and a thread isn't of much value here if it doesn't stimulate discussion and one rational vein of discussion would have to be why white voters might vote for Romney because he is white. If one premise is based on identification with the candidate, it makes perfect sense to address the aspect of black people voting for Obama because he is black, since therein lies a potentially clearer demonstration of the principle of identification.

Although snood tends to view everything through the lens of racism, there is certainly nothing overarchingly racist about blacks voting for Obama because he is a black man. Given the history of blacks in this country versus the history of whites it makes perfect sense that a greater percentage of them would vote for Obama because he is black than of whites voting for Romney because he is white.

As it so happens, this black man is a Democrat and so a great percentage of blacks would be voting for him irrespective of his color, and therefore it's no more possible to draw a firm conclusion on identification among blacks voters than it is for white voters. It is entirely understandable, however why a black voter might have voted for the black candidate in 2008 and again in 2012 even if that candidate didn't fully represent his core political beliefs. While 2004 represented a historical watershed for the nation, it's significance, arguably, was much greater for blacks than white.

I actually have to modify my intial comment quoted above. If the question is how many white people will vote for Romney solely because he is white and not black, I believe the answer is relatively few, but in such cases the reason probably is racism.

I still think a greater percentage of blacks will vote for Obama solely becaue he is black (albeit also relatively few in number) and while distrust and anger may in part be motivating them, I would suspect that it will have more to do with self-identification.

I also think though that a reasonable argument can be made that a fair number of white voters in 2004 voted for Barack Obama primarily because he is black which in a twisted way could have been a result of a certain racism. (See Shelby Steele's comments in the movie 2016), but most people prefer to perceive that as benign behavior and, in the main, I think it was.

In any case, I'm afraid that I can't help but skip past the faux innocent curiosity of snood's question to the obvious conclusion. It is the same conclusion that is, of late, springing up in the liberal opinion pieces in the media: The fall off in white support for Obama, from 2008 to 2012, is due to racism, and not genuine disappointment in his performance as president over the last four years.

Should Obama win in November, the subject will quickly fade away, despite the fact that his support among whites will still, undoubtedly have dropped. If he loses however, we now know (if there was any prior doubt) of what the explanation from the left will be.

Whether or not it will stir civil unrest I suppose depends on the margin of a Romney victory and the extent of allegations of voter suppression. We could be in for rough seas.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 10:56 am
@edgarblythe,
And yet you have managed to penetrate their secrets. Who knew there was a Hercule Poirot among us.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 11:27 am

Arrow One small thing that makes Romney more appealing to Americans is that he uses the
word 'we' when explaining the plans and ideas he and Ryan will implement when elected.

Americans are sick and tired of hearing Obama use the word 'I' to describe all that
he claims to have done... Starting every sentence with the word 'I' is not sexy.

Substance over skin color.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 11:44 am
there is a 100% chance that if Obama loses this that the dems will blame racism of white men. However another explanation is that Obama gets minority votes that he otherwise would not get because of the color of his skin, that the racism is practiced by the minority population.
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 12:23 pm
@hawkeye10,

There is a 100% chance that if Obama wins this election the
world will correctly blame the dumbmasses that voted for him.

The color of their skin is of little consequence.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 12:30 pm
@H2O MAN,
the AP says that being black will cost Obama 2%, but they reach this conclusion by assuming that all those who have a bias against blacks will not vote for obama because of it, something that they never bother to prove.

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-poll-majority-harbor-prejudice-against-blacks-073551680--election.html

Quote:
Overall, the survey found that by virtue of racial prejudice, Obama could lose 5 percentage points off his share of the popular vote in his Nov. 6 contest against Republican challenger Mitt Romney. But Obama also stands to benefit from a 3 percentage point gain due to pro-black sentiment, researchers said. Overall, that means an estimated net loss of 2 percentage points due to anti-black attitudes

I COULD **** unicorns out of my ass in a hour (i think Set has said this), but so what?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 06:32 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Every so-called 'African American' finding themselves in darkest Africa would
not identify themselves as such, they would identify themselves as an American.

It's almost 2013... if you must split Americans into groups,
'American' is the first descriptive word that should be used.

Quite right. That's why many Jewish Americans often say they are American Jews.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 06:39 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Let me ask my friends on the right a question:

Do you believe that some black people vote for Obama just because he's black?

No. Some Black Americans vote for Obama because they vote Democratic. The fact that Obama is an honorary African-American (let's remember where his Black father went back to) just, in my opinion, excites many African-Americans, since there has been a history of pejorative propaganda that African-Americans don't have the ability to be much of anything, let alone the President of the U.S.A. Obama's Presidency flies in the face of centuries of white superiority. For that I'm glad he's President; I would just like him to be a conservative, since as Joel Grey sang, "money makes the world go round," and we are competing in a world-wide marketplace. Taxing the rich is just willing to kill the proverbial golden goose, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 06:47 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

We should end the dividing lables of race ID. Unless you were born somewhere else and then became an American citizen you are a regular American with no hyphen. I had a boss who was from Italy and received his citizenship after being here for about 14 years.. He is an Italian-American. My grandfather was born in Sicily and became a citizen back in the 1920's. He is an Italian-American, I was born here I'm an American. Since I was not born in Italy I am not an Italian American. Why do people insist on dividing themselves and each other with such labels.

So, convert to a Protestant faith, and Anglicize your last name, and you can become part of the WASP demographic. They have no hyphens.

My point is that in the U.S.A., one can practically be whatever one likes. Your concern about the self-identities of others is sort of beyond your individual jurisdiction, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 06:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I had always felt, over the last four years at least, that there were enough white men who would vote the issues rather than race. Lately it seems I could be wrong about that. Why would a flip flopping liar get their vote, when he wants to dismantle their Social Security and has no clue how to get jobs, as well as further the top 1% at their expense? Race has to in some way be an influence here.

So, why are some people that voted for Obama in 2008 are not voting for him now?????
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 06:54 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I don't know, obviously.
We were a block or two off of a major highway.
There probably has been prostitution in that old town over decades.
Ugly to my niece.

There aren't that many people of color in that area. That was very strange to me at first.

That is strange to me in Albuquerque too.
I've lots of interesting neighbors, but no blacks.
I meet some in the market, once every three months or so, but I don't want to scare them by me, a somewhat smiling old woman.

For me it is plain foreign, this absence of blacks. This is a military town: I guess they cluster.

Snood, I'd like to hear you on this.

Were there any Jews?

My point is, are African-Americans supposed to be allocated to every berg in the nation, so no berg is accused of being prejudiced? Believe it or not, many Jews prefer to not live in WASP America. They often, when secular, live in communities with Jews and Italians. Everyone might have their preferences. Is that wrong? Too American (aka, land of the free)?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 07:07 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Thank you. She's good, years later, but stuff forms one. And naturally antagonisms go on. It's always been so, but sometimes raw hate amazes. Not that her situation was raw hate, but it's out there.

Sure it is. And it goes both ways. Christianity was meant for both races.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 07:18 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

It's shocking as a guest to hear in your country, it must take a lead ear to ignore it at home.

The divisions in the U.S. go way beyond Black and White. If one looks just under the surface of society, in my opinion, one could find deep antagonisms towards many groups. The key is that most people have a full stomach and a roof over their heads, so few "act out" their antagonisms; however, if we ever had to buy a loaf of bread with a wheelbarrow full of Deutchmarks (oh, I meant dollars), there could be a lot of scapegoating going on, in my opinion.