How Many White People Will Vote for Romney Because He's White?

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 03:37 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'm very left and figure, sure, black people will pick who they think is somewhat knowing what they deal with, still.

Do you think Obama has a clue about what it's is like to grow up black in America?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 03:50 pm
@H2O MAN,
Yes.
djjd62

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 03:51 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Let me ask my friends on the right a question:

Do you believe that some black people vote for Obama just because he's black?

i'm neither right or left (many times right or wrong), but i would say yes

i've heard white folk (comedian jim norton for one, has said this many times on the O&A show) say they voted for him just because they wanted a black president
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 03:53 pm
@snood,
Of course there are. Just like there are people who will vote for Romney just because he is a Mormon. There are people who will vote for Romney simply because he is white as well. I also think that all 3 groups are a minority when it comes to voting blocks. Party line politics and ideas are driving this election. I know a lot of people and none of them have ever voiced race as being a gripe about the President.

We should end the dividing lables of race ID. Unless you were born somewhere else and then became an American citizen you are a regular American with no hyphen. I had a boss who was from Italy and received his citizenship after being here for about 14 years.. He is an Italian-American. My grandfather was born in Sicily and became a citizen back in the 1920's. He is an Italian-American, I was born here I'm an American. Since I was not born in Italy I am not an Italian American. Why do people insist on dividing themselves and each other with such labels.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 03:53 pm
I had always felt, over the last four years at least, that there were enough white men who would vote the issues rather than race. Lately it seems I could be wrong about that. Why would a flip flopping liar get their vote, when he wants to dismantle their Social Security and has no clue how to get jobs, as well as further the top 1% at their expense? Race has to in some way be an influence here.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 03:55 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Yes.

How is that possible?

Obama never lived in the lower 48 until he was 18 or so.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 03:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Why would a flip flopping liar get their vote

Because he's black like them
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 04:07 pm
@ossobuco,
My niece's mother was from africa and her father from california, irish descent.

When she was visiting me in her early teens up in northern california, there was an extravaganza at the presentation of a client's new roof garden. I had shown up with my young niece, who had mostly been having a good time with us in our gallery studio, learning to type, photocopying, and similar. A working crew, the three of us, music on, when she was there.

The host said something nasty to me about her. She was fourteen.
I could hardly get it. I'm sure my answer wasn't adequate, as she moved away.

I think on that same trip, she had chores to help us in our work, and one was to walk my business partner's dog, the doberman from heaven who appeared as dobie from hell. Trucks slowed, with guys treating her as a whore.

All this stuff is still going on.

georgeob1

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 04:12 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Let me ask my friends on the right a question:

Do you believe that some black people vote for Obama just because he's black?

The statistical evidence is quite clear that race or skin color is a much more relaible predictor of the actual voting distribution among Blacks than it is among Whites, when a candidate is a member of the other race.

What conclusion would you make, based on that objective evidence?

My opinion is that generalities are easy to make but often of little value. I also am quite sure that neither Snood nor I can accurately know the inner motives of another person of whatever race they might be.

It is, however, interesting to observe Snood's repeated apparently racial preconceptions in this area.. We all share the same human nature, and , as a result are all too often willing to believe or condone self-serving views of others, while rationaizing our own failures in precisely the same areas. This appears to affect some here more than others.

Here's a question for Snood. The House of representatives Black Caucus, a body which receives Federal money and staff for its activities, rejected the application of Republican Rep. West - a Black man -for membership. Was that act lawful, and what type of prejudice did that involve?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 04:12 pm
@ossobuco,
Union workers?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 04:26 pm
@H2O MAN,
I don't know, obviously.
We were a block or two off of a major highway.
There probably has been prostitution in that old town over decades.
Ugly to my niece.

There aren't that many people of color in that area. That was very strange to me at first.

That is strange to me in Albuquerque too.
I've lots of interesting neighbors, but no blacks.
I meet some in the market, once every three months or so, but I don't want to scare them by me, a somewhat smiling old woman.

For me it is plain foreign, this absence of blacks. This is a military town: I guess they cluster.

Snood, I'd like to hear you on this.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 04:38 pm
@ossobuco,

It sucks for sure and I hope your niece was able to shrug it off.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 05:05 pm
For Romney supporters this thread along with numerous articles and opinion pieces in newspapers like the NY Times and Washington Post is a good sign.

The race card has always been held in the ready in this campaign, but was not likely to be introduced with such frequency until Democrats began to worry about their candidates chances of winning.

I've no doubt that a great many white people will vote for Romney because he is white just as an even greater number of black people will vote for Obama because he is black. The reason for this disparity are perfectly natural and not at all sinister.

It's not proof of racism on either side of the coin.

The Washington Post ran an article today describing how Obama support among white voters has declined over 2008 levels. The clear implication was that it was due to racism, and not simply the fact that a great number of Whites who voted for Obama in 2008 have been disappointed by the last four years and do not want to see him re-elected, no matter what the skin color of his opponent.

If Obama should lose (knock wood) just wait for the avalanche of charges of racism.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 05:11 pm
@H2O MAN,
Thank you. She's good, years later, but stuff forms one. And naturally antagonisms go on. It's always been so, but sometimes raw hate amazes. Not that her situation was raw hate, but it's out there.
snood

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 05:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Man, what a crappy thing to do to a child.
It never quite shocks or suprises me, but it always makes me feel a little sick inside and a lot sad.

Yeah, this kind of stuff happens - still. People's reactions to situations that involve raw racism are interesting in a way - I guess to the part of me that is a behaviorist. For instance, I've seen my wife really have to stretch and grow since we've been together. She never had to confront situations of being hated on by whites before being with me (she's white, if you remember). North Carolina has been so much better than Louisiana for us -in that way.

I think white people in general grow sort of tone deaf to what raw race hatred looks like, because they never have to experience it like your niece did those times.

I think its interesting how a couple of folks have had to stop by and make the point that yeah, some whites might vote for Romney because he's white but not nearly as much as blacks who vote for Obama because he's black! Don't you think that's interesting?
McGentrix

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 06:42 pm
http://www.factcheck.org/2008/04/blacks-and-the-democratic-party/
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 07:14 pm
@McGentrix,
Random facts are like throwing spaghetti on the wall and seeing what sticks. Those stats you lovely provide aren't an answer to the OP's question. Just a lovely bit of mud in the water.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 07:45 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

I think its interesting how a couple of folks have had to stop by and make the point that yeah, some whites might vote for Romney because he's white but not nearly as much as blacks who vote for Obama because he's black! Don't you think that's interesting?

I'm not aware that anyone here made such an assertion.

It is certainly true that one who confines himself solely to the statistics, assuming that in general the human natures of people of all races are roughly the same, would conclude from the actual voting data in the 2008 Presidential election, and those in many contested House seats in many districts, that the propensity for Blacks to vote for a candidate of their own color over a White or Asiasn one is a good deal greater than that of Whites for people of their color.

There are many good and bad potential reasons for such choices, but unfortunately we can't really know the inner motives of others, Black or White. We can, however, measure some elements of observed behavior objectively, but even there it is easy to be misled by the statistics. We generaslly refer to those who make generalized prejudgments about the unmeasurable inner motives, beliefs or unseen abilities of others, based on skin color, as racist.

It appears to me that Snood is rationalizing his own racism while accusing others of the same fault.

I suppose it's also possible that Snood can read the minds and inner thoughts of others, whom he hasn't even seen. However, I think that is very unlikely.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 07:47 pm
@snood,
I think it's natural for people to get comfortable when things are comfortable, and not observe more widely. Or observe with a raised nose.

I don't even think those truckers were hating, they were probably playing, they were assuming and acting on that, de-personing. Assuming she was targetable. I didn't mention the nail salon episode.. anyway, she had three episodes that could be ascribed to her being a teen while black in a white place within a few short days, one from a doyenne of the town.

I'm learning a lot in the Death in Belmont book, which of course I thought I already knew but didn't.

On who is voting by race more, I've no idea. I wouldn't be surprised to find some solidarity happening for blacks or latinos or some white blocks differentiating for racial reasons. But different communities see different needs, so I'm not all so sure what seems to be racial is racial.

Also, I think that somewhat people aren't as completely neighborhooded off in the west as they are (it seems to me) in the eastern u.s. - which I take as a good thing. No data, I'm not sure I'm right on that.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 08:28 pm
@georgeob1,
I think you're full of ****.

I wrote :

Quote:
I think its interesting how a couple of folks have had to stop by and make the point that yeah, some whites might vote for Romney because he's white but not nearly as much as blacks who vote for Obama because he's black

You wrote:

Quote:
I'm not aware that anyone here made such an assertion.

Later, in the same post, you wrote that anyone relying on statistics (statistics that you keep referring to without sourcing) would conclude that:

Quote:
…the propensity for Blacks to vote for a candidate of their own color over a White or Asiasn (sic) one is a good deal greater than that of Whites for people of their color.

(by the way, do you ever intend to provide any substance for those “statistics”, or just continue to try to appear authoritative by using the word “statistics”?)

You speak with a forked tongue. I asked a question with this thread that involves race, and you use it as another opportunity to accuse the person raising the issue of race as a racist.

My premise (actually, the premise of the writer in the source article I cited) stands. And that is that while blacks are accused of voting for Obama because he’s black, we don’t see whites being held to account for voting for Romney simply because he’s white.