U.S. middle east policy, pros and cons: discuss

izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 03:28 am
Far from being one sided, Egypt's new regime seems to be quite even handed, taking action against extremists on both sides.

Quote:
Egypt’s prosecutor general has referred to court the owner of an Islamist television station and his son over accusations they burned a copy of the Bible, state media reported on Tuesday.

Al-Omma TV owner Ahmed Mohammed Abdullah, known as Abu Islam, and his son Islam, face charges of “insulting the Christian faith” along with journalist Hani Yassin Gadallah of the independent daily Al-Tahrir, said the official MENA news agency.

Abu Islam and his son are specifically accused of tearing up and setting on fire a copy of the Bible during protests this month outside the U.S. embassy in Cairo against a US-made film mocking the Prophet Mohammed.

Abu Islam is also accused of having made insulting remarks against Christianity in an interview with the Al-Tahrir journalist, the state news agency said.

http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/09/26/240189.html
Irishk

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 08:51 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Please provide links for all your claims.
In a seperate development, a Copt who lives in central Egypt was on Tuesday sentenced to six years in prison after being convicted by a misdemeanour court of blasphemy, insulting the Prophet Muhammad and insulting President Mohammed Mursi.

Also...

Meanwhile in Egypt, two journalists are facing trial on charges of insulting Mohamed Morsi, the Egyptian president.

The trials, the first since Morsi took power in June, prompted accusations by Egyptian pro-democracy activists that the Muslim Brotherhood is seeking to stifle freedom of expression.

Quote:
Whichever way you look at it, Egypt is far more democratic than America's ally Bahrain, and you've not criticised them at all.
If you'll take a look at the first post in this thread, you'll see it's meant to be a discussion of Egypt's President Morsi, is it not? I don't think it's exactly 'news' that freedom of speech and freedom of expression aren't priorities in many ME countries, be they allies or enemies or 'frenemies'. My opinion stands that Morsi is a thug and a creep who would like nothing more than to see us pressured into enacting 'blasphemy' laws. You, and others, appear to admire his governance. Meh. To each his own.

0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 08:54 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Far from being one sided, Egypt's new regime seems to be quite even handed, taking action against extremists on both sides.
SMH.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 09:07 am
@Irishk,
It's true I meant the thread as re Morsi and what he said about our mid east policy.

I'm enjoying (well, I appreciate) the discussion so far. I see what Izzy is saying re the positives about Morsi, as a relatively even handed breath of fresh air, and see what Irishk is saying about the negatives. I'm still interested in him, how it will all go.

Irishk

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 09:47 am
@ossobuco,
BLT's for all!! Extra bacon!!!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 09:54 am
@Irishk,
And according to Slate yesterday, bacon is not really threatened as a commodity (at this time).
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 10:01 am
@ossobuco,
Talking about bacon, the Italians don't know how to cook it. It's always never crisp like most of us like it. Otherwise, their foods are tasty and I love it!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 10:07 am
@cicerone imposter,
Italians use pancetta, which is pork belly salt cured, and use it many ways, including in little squares for flavoring, and sauteed as we do our bacon (which is basically pork belly sliced).
Hmmm, we're digressing nicely.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancetta

revelette

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 10:53 am
@ossobuco,
I take it CI not really a fan of Giada. Guess I would have to go back a ways to find out this subject came up.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 10:58 am
@revelette,
Irishk was teasing me.
Past that, I'll digress any time, anywhere.

Back to the thread..
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 11:08 am
@Irishk,
Your first link referred to something rather symbolic than anything else, seeing as those accused are resident in America, and the chances of them travelling to Egypt are remote in the extreme.

Your second link was concerned mostly with Tunisia, the section on the Egyptian journalists was very scanty, with no details about who they were or what was actually said. It did say they 'faced trial,' suggesting it's a prospect, as opposed to something that definitely will happen.

I get the feeling you're just looking for an excuse to damn the Egyptian President, as you've already made your mind up about him. I would prefer to give a chance before rushing to judgement. He's not been in power for long at all, and is a lot better than his predecessor.
Irishk

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 11:49 am
@izzythepush,
C'mon, Izzy. First you demand proof and now you have it, you're still not satisfied. For what it's worth, I think you're afraid to read any revealing evidence of Morsi's true character and the human rights violations he's already involved in only a few months into his 'reign'.

Both incidents that I've commented upon have been widely reported upon, both here and in your country. You seem to think Morsi should get a pass on allowing a man to be imprisoned for 'insulting' him and that two journalists who are accused of the same somehow deserve this harassment. Surely, you don't deny that freedom of speech is a central component to the democratic process.

Morsi = New boss, worse than the old boss. (Just ask the Egyptian women in a few months.)
izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 12:02 pm
@Irishk,
Your proof is sketchy to say the least, lets see if the journalists actually go on trial first. Where's your proof that Morsi was behind this, and it's not just some over zealous prosecutor? We don't even know what the journalists are supposed to have said, it could well be libellous under our laws for all we know.

I think Morsi deserves credit for his statements on Iran and Syria and his action in the Sinai desert.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 02:00 pm
@Irishk,
Izzy will duck and weave ad nauseum when it comes to defending Islamists.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 05:07 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You just like to prejudge and condemn, and refuse to see the whole picture.
vikorr

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 10:40 pm
@izzythepush,
Should the question on someone facing trial for insulting the president be :
- did the laws already exist (which isn't Morsi's fault), or did Morsi introduce them (which is Morsi's fault)
- Do the systems in place require a complaint (ie from Morsi / delegate), or are they initiated by the local law enforcement (which ties back into the previous question of what systems were in place and when)
- Does Morsi intend to change anything
izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 12:45 am
@vikorr,
Those are all valid points, I know the answer to the first, they date back to the Mubarak era. Morsi hasn't had a chance to introduce any new laws.

As for the rest, it's a case of wait and see. One of the problems with a trial, is that the trial is reported on, and those insulting words get repeated and examined. Sometimes it's best to move on regardless.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 10:22 am
Morsi is also a Truther, so I guess I can understand some of his appeal -- especially from like-minded people.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 11:07 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
The true motivation is always much more complex.

We've climbed the mountain, we sit at your feet. Don't hold back now, Master.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 11:18 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Funny how you never seem to point out any errors in anything I've said.

People are just waiting for that singularity to occur when you actually say something accurate, Oralloy.

That is like waiting for a supernova to occur. The other situation is like saying, "Oh look, a star, another one and another and ... ."