U.S. middle east policy, pros and cons: discuss

vikorr

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 01:06 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
The necessarily discriminatory and oppressive Israeli regime should be ground into dust and be replaced by a truly democratic, egalitarian and pluralistic one that enfranchises all of the peoples of Israel/Palestine.
That is an impossibility. With the muslim population outnumbering the jewish, the purpose that Israel was established for would cease to exist. Just as the Jews discriminate against the Muslims, once the Muslims were in power (as they are the majority), they would discriminate against the Jews. Likely, as they have a seething hatred for the Jewish people, it would be violent, bloody, and prolonged. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended in Genocide.
vikorr

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 01:07 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
The nonsensical conversation stems from the fact that you incessantly lie.
Drunk Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 02:18 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

I'd note that without US support Israel would have been ground into dust years ago and without continued support it will get so ground.

Israel is the region's military superpower, they are the only country in the region with nuclear weapons. I doubt very much that could happen.

It's also quite simplistic to state that the whole of the Middle East hates Israel because of anti-Semitism, not because of how Israel treats the Palestinians and its neighbours.

Morsi, despite being an Islamist has so far been pragmatic, he has sent troops to Sinai to stop attacks on Israel and has so far done a lot to keep relations with America cordial.

The fact is America's support of Israel has been far from even handed, America's use of the veto in the UN has meant Israel has literally got away with murder. Ahmed Bouchiki, an innocent Moroccan waiter, was gunned down in cold blood by Mossad, and the treatment of Mordechai Vanunu is inhuman.

People have the right to protest, and in Egypt Morsi has taken measures to make sure those protests don't become violent. This has been no mean feat in a country where an unpopular dictator was kept in power by America, and where America's respect for democracy was not forthcoming until the 11th hour. This attitude may have been revised in Tunisia and Egypt, but it's alive and well in Bahrain where America has a naval base. America has turned a blind eye when the Bahraini government uses Saudi troops to put down protests by the majority population, and imprisons doctors for treating the wounded.

Quote:
Twenty Bahraini medics who treated activists wounded during anti-government protests were jailed for between five and 15 years in sentences that were immediately denounced by medical bodies and human rights groups around the world.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/sep/29/bahrain-protester-death-sentence
oralloy

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 04:14 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
It's also quite simplistic to state that the whole of the Middle East hates Israel because of anti-Semitism, not because of how Israel treats the Palestinians and its neighbours.

If they don't like it that Israel defends themselves from them, they could always stop attacking Israel.

izzythepush wrote:
The fact is America's support of Israel has been far from even handed,

No. That is not a fact. The fact that we routinely block all anti-Semitism does not mean we are not evenhanded.

izzythepush wrote:
America's use of the veto in the UN has meant Israel has literally got away with murder.

No, it merely means people like you have been blocked from unfairly charging them with murders they have not committed.

izzythepush wrote:
Ahmed Bouchiki, an innocent Moroccan waiter, was gunned down in cold blood by Mossad,

Hardly cold blood. That was a tragic but honest mistake.

izzythepush wrote:
and the treatment of Mordechai Vanunu is inhuman.

That's silly. He was a spy who smuggled nuclear weapon secrets. He's lucky he was not executed.

izzythepush wrote:
People have the right to protest, and in Egypt Morsi has taken measures to make sure those protests don't become violent.

He is not taking nearly enough measures. He needs to do much better.

izzythepush wrote:
This has been no mean feat in a country where an unpopular dictator was kept in power by America,

Nope. America didn't do a thing to keep him in power. And we in fact helped the protesters topple him, by making sure that the Egyptian military did not massacre the protesters.

izzythepush wrote:
and where America's respect for democracy was not forthcoming until the 11th hour.

Nope. As noted above, we're the only reason the protesters were not simply massacred by the Egyptian military.

izzythepush wrote:
but it's alive and well in Bahrain where America has a naval base. America has turned a blind eye when the Bahraini government uses Saudi troops to put down protests by the majority population, and imprisons doctors for treating the wounded.

We did nothing of the sort.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 09:02 am
Morsi is a thug and a creep.

He wants his buddy, the blind sheik, back.

Bite me, Morsi.
vikorr

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 01:59 pm
@izzythepush,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lillehammer_affair
Quote:
Undercover agents had been sent by Israel as part of Operation Wrath of God to assassinate Ali Hassan Salameh, the leader of the Black September Organization, a Palestinian militant group that carried out the 1972 Munich Massacre. They mistook Bouchiki for their target and shot him repeatedly as he walked back from a cinema to his apartment with his pregnant wife. Two members of the assassination team were arrested the next day as they re-used a getaway car to go to the airport. After their interrogation the whole cell was arrested. Incriminating documents and the keys to a network of safe houses were discovered.[1]

The revelations of the captured agents dealt a massive blow to the secret infrastructure of the Mossad in Europe. Agents who had been exposed had to be recalled, safe houses abandoned, phone numbers changed and operational methods modified. Harari, the leader of the assassins, managed to escape and was never extradited by Israel to Norway. In 1996, Israel paid compensation equal to US$283,000 split between Bouchiki's wife and daughter, and a separate settlement of US$118,000 to a son from a previous marriage,[2] Israel never officially took responsibility for the assassination,[3] although it expressed sorrow to Bouchiki's family members in the trial hearings.

Considering the above, I do think that the below description is a rather biased perspective of the matter. I certainly can't blame Israel for hunting down terrorists that killed their athletes at the Munich Olympics...and the agents were under the obvious belief they had found the leader of the organisation.
Quote:
America's use of the veto in the UN has meant Israel has literally got away with murder. Ahmed Bouchiki, an innocent Moroccan waiter, was gunned down in cold blood by Mossad

I don't think it particularly fair to link the first part of your quote (regarding US support) to the latter two examples. See above, and then regarding Mordechai Vanunu - I think his treatment comes down to ones conscience and understanding of actions & consequence.

Perhaps better examples?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 02:10 pm
@vikorr,
No nation state has the right to start gun battles in another country. The above article is not at all biased, it merely states what happened. Mossad engaged in criminal behaviour. No other country would behave like that in a supposed allied state.

How would you feel if it was your street that got shot up?
vikorr

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 02:34 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
The above article is not at all biased, it merely states what happened
I was talking about your statement. If you reread, I said 'the below description is a biased perspective' (your statement was directly below)

Quote:
No nation state has the right to start gun battles in another country.
I agree...and that is obviously in conflict we me saying I understand why Israel would hunt down the terrorists...which conflict isn't resolvable.

I also understand why the US would hunt down Osama Bin Laden...something very much in the same category, except they state they got their man...and I understand Pakistani outrage at the invasion.

I don't think this is a black & white area, although we as humans love to define things in black and white, right and wrong.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 02:52 pm
@izzythepush,
I didn't know all of that re Bahrain, Izzy, thanks for the link.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 03:35 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Quote:
The necessarily discriminatory and oppressive Israeli regime should be ground into dust and be replaced by a truly democratic, egalitarian and pluralistic one that enfranchises all of the peoples of Israel/Palestine.
That is an impossibility. With the muslim population outnumbering the jewish, the purpose that Israel was established for would cease to exist. Just as the Jews discriminate against the Muslims, once the Muslims were in power (as they are the majority), they would discriminate against the Jews. Likely, as they have a seething hatred for the Jewish people, it would be violent, bloody, and prolonged. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended in Genocide.

You're making a lot of paranoid assumptions about genocide. The world would not allow it to happen, and defense of a truly democratic and egalitarian regime would be much more moral than defense of a necessarily discriminatory and oppressive one.

Israel itself is becoming a liability to the very purpose it was established for.
vikorr

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 03:50 pm
@InfraBlue,
Paranoid? For suggesting the mere possibility (given the massive hatred of Israel in the area)? That shows a distinct lack of understanding of hatred, cause and effect, and history.

Quote:
Israel itself is becoming a liability to the very purpose it was established for.
And therefore should cease to exist? (as would happen under your proposal)

Quote:
The world would not allow it to happen,
That's a bit of a risky roll of the dice.

Quote:
and defense of a truly democratic and egalitarian regime would be much more moral than defense of a necessarily discriminatory and oppressive one.
True enough...but this has little to do with the real world.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 04:13 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Paranoid? For suggesting the mere possibility (given the massive hatred of Israel in the area)?

You did make the assertion that, "just as the Jews discriminate against the Muslims, once the Muslims were in power (as they are the majority), they would discriminate against the Jews."

Quote:
That shows a distinct lack of understanding of hatred, cause and effect, and history.

What that shows is a distinct lack of stereotyping and bigotry that to a large part underlies the impasse towards a solution to this conflict.

Quote:
Quote:
And therefore should cease to exist? (as would happen under your proposal)

What should cease to exist is the Israeli regime. Don't conflate the regime with the people.

Quote:
Quote:
The world would not allow it to happen,
That's a bit of a risky roll of the dice.

As it stands the world is defending and supporting Israel as a necessarily discriminatory and oppressive state. Why wouldn't it support Israel as a truly democratic, pluralistic and egalitarian one?

Quote:
Quote:
and defense of a truly democratic and egalitarian regime would be much more moral than defense of a necessarily discriminatory and oppressive one.
True enough...but this has little to do with the real world.

To a cynical worldview, perhaps.
roger

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 04:27 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

You're making a lot of paranoid assumptions about genocide.

Yeah, right.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 04:34 pm
@ossobuco,
If there is an attack on Iran, the naval base will be a prime target.
vikorr

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 04:42 pm
@InfraBlue,
Excuse me, if you are going to engage in a discussion - please stop jumping all over the place when your statements are shown to be silly.

InfraBlue wrote:
You're making a lot of paranoid assumptions about genocide.
vikorr wrote:
Paranoid? For suggesting the mere possibility (given the massive hatred of Israel in the area)?
InfraBlue wrote:
You did make the assertion that, "just as the Jews discriminate against the Muslims, once the Muslims were in power (as they are the majority), they would discriminate against the Jews."
As you see you went from claiming I possess paranoia re genocide...to when that was shown to be such a silly claim...attempting to make it out that you were referring to some other paranoia. That makes for a nonsensical conversation.

Quote:
What that shows is a distinct lack of stereotyping and bigotry that to a large part underlies the impasse towards a solution to this conflict.
Well, stereotyping and bigotry are part of the impasse...but that's not what your comments show...they still show a lack of understanding of hatreds, cause & effect, and history.

Quote:
What should cease to exist is the Israeli regime. Don't conflate the regime with the people.
You mean their system of government? The one that keeps the Jewish people ruling Israel? And you would replace it with a system that saw Israel cease to exist?

Quote:
Why wouldn't it support Israel as a truly democratic, pluralistic and egalitarian one?
Because it wouldn't exist under your scheme.

Quote:
To a cynical worldview, perhaps.
Well, I would say you were an idealist, rather than a realist. But where passions and ideals are involved, cynicism is an easy enough target to blame for disagreements.
Foofie

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 05:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I also agree with his opinions about the Middle East, but that's far from what our government has done and will continue to do that infuriates many citizens of the ME and around the world. Our blind support of Israel is wrong-headed in every way; they are not a "democracy" by any stretch of the imagination or definition. They continue to steal Palestinian lands at will, and nobody in our government acknowledges these crimes. Our government has been broken for many decades, and I see it getting worse.

Your use of the emotional term, "blind support" is incorrect, in my opinion. The U.S. gets many benefits from Israel, be it high tech innovations (who do you think was tinkering with the first drone prototypes?), or intelligence.

Whether liberals like it or not, there is a demographic in the Middle East that resents the U.S., since they can't really develop a rationale for hating the old colonial powers, in my opinion.

Now, if China and Japan have some sort of confrontation over those uninhabited islands, the dullness of this year's World Series might be lessened.
Foofie

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 05:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Much of the misinformation of Americans can be blamed on the media - including, but not limited to, the hatred of Muslims and the belief that most are terrorists.

People really do not believe today that "most are terrorists." And, they do not hate them. In my opinion, the concern is that Muslims might not assimilate to the degree that other non-European immigrants did in the past. I hold up Cicerone Imposter as evidence of an assimilated non-European that does not threaten the social fabric. Perhaps, Cicerone Imposter could give lessons on how to assimilate into the American social fabric.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 05:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Some people are just totally ignorant about world facts.

Total Jewish population in the world is 13.3 million. Total Muslim population in the world is over 2-billion.

Then it should make one wonder why many of the 2-billion cannot stop hating 13.3 million. Sounds strange?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 05:49 pm
@Foofie,
You are very ignorant, aren't you?
Foofie

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 05:51 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

There were anti-Jewish riots back in the 1920's, when the Arabs saw more and more Jews irrigating land, and building kibbutzim (collective farms). They just feel, in my opinion, that the Middle East is Muslim turf.

They also don't think they have to give Jews a place to live, just because anti-Semitism in Europe ended in the Holocaust. Remember, while anti-Semitism was rampant in Europe, Jews lived comfortably with the Moors.

If I didn't know better, it might just play itself out like bible prophecy.
0 Replies