U.S. middle east policy, pros and cons: discuss

Foofie

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 05:55 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Israel itself is becoming a liability to the very purpose it was established for.

No. Israel is learning that once a people have a territority, one acts just like other territories. In other words, Jews get to act like Gentile nations, and have lost the moral high ground as a minority underdog in a host nation.

People are just so surprised that it is Jews acting like Gentiles.
Foofie

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 05:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You are very ignorant, aren't you?

I do not know how to bake a cake.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 10:19 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
No nation state has the right to start gun battles in another country.

You guys going to disband MI6?

If not, pipe down on your hypocrisy.

izzythepush wrote:
Mossad engaged in criminal behaviour.

No worse than what MI6 does.

izzythepush wrote:
No other country would behave like that in a supposed allied state.

ALL countries behave that way.

izzythepush wrote:
How would you feel if it was your street that got shot up?

Accidents happen. Get over it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 10:26 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
If there is an attack on Iran, the naval base will be a prime target.

If Israel bombs Iran, and Iran responds by bombing American military targets, America will be bombing Iran too.

And while Israel does have the capability to take out Iran's illegal nuclear program, the US bombing will be much more thorough.

At any rate, any Iranian attacks on our base will be a good test of current missile defense technology. We'll be able to learn from it and devise even better systems for the future.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 11:06 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

You're making a lot of paranoid assumptions about genocide.

Yeah, right.

So, you already know the outcome of this scenario?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 11:41 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Excuse me, if you are going to engage in a discussion - please stop jumping all over the place when your statements are shown to be silly.

InfraBlue wrote:
You're making a lot of paranoid assumptions about genocide.
vikorr wrote:
Paranoid? For suggesting the mere possibility (given the massive hatred of Israel in the area)?
InfraBlue wrote:
You did make the assertion that, "just as the Jews discriminate against the Muslims, once the Muslims were in power (as they are the majority), they would discriminate against the Jews."
As you see you went from claiming I possess paranoia re genocide...to when that was shown to be such a silly claim...attempting to make it out that you were referring to some other paranoia. That makes for a nonsensical conversation.

Ok then, you made the assertion that once the Muslims were in power they would discriminate against the Jews. Since you don't know the future your assertion is merely an assumption. You then went on to speculate that, likey, it would be violent, bloody, and prolonged. You then speculate further and presuppose that it would end in genocide.

You are making assumptions based on presuppositions based on question begging, and all of this is based on your paranoia about "the Muslims."

Quote:
Quote:
What that shows is a distinct lack of stereotyping and bigotry that to a large part underlies the impasse towards a solution to this conflict.
Well, stereotyping and bigotry are part of the impasse...but that's not what your comments show...they still show a lack of understanding of hatreds, cause & effect, and history.

You are basing your assumptions, presuppositions and question begging on your understanding of history which is colored by your stereotyping and bigotry.

Quote:
Quote:
What should cease to exist is the Israeli regime. Don't conflate the regime with the people.
You mean their system of government? The one that keeps the Jewish people ruling Israel? And you would replace it with a system that saw Israel cease to exist?

Quote:
Why wouldn't it support Israel as a truly democratic, pluralistic and egalitarian one?
Because it wouldn't exist under your scheme.

What, exactly, does "seeing Israel cease to exist," mean?

Quote:
Quote:
To a cynical worldview, perhaps.
Well, I would say you were an idealist, rather than a realist. But where passions and ideals are involved, cynicism is an easy enough target to blame for disagreements.

The reality is that Israel is the most glaring manifestation of Western imperialism and intervention by violating the rights of the Palestinian peoples in Palestine for the benefit of a European people escaping their problems in Europe.

The reality is that what threatens Israel, and the US and the West for that matter, in their obdurate repression of the Palestinian peoples is worse than a moral and just solution to the conflict.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 11:51 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Israel itself is becoming a liability to the very purpose it was established for.

No. Israel is learning that once a people have a territority, one acts just like other territories. In other words, Jews get to act like Gentile nations, and have lost the moral high ground as a minority underdog in a host nation.

Be that as it may, it still leaves the problem of Israel's repression of the Palestinian peoples unaddressed, and merely ignores it in favor of some bigoted assertions of what surprises people.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 12:19 am
@InfraBlue,
amen
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 01:20 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Ok then, you made the assertion that once the Muslims were in power they would discriminate against the Jews. Since you don't know the future your assertion is merely an assumption.
I'd say that's pretty much a certainty. You are welcome to your opinion though. As I mentioned earlier, it appears you are an idealist.

If you note - in making decisions aimed at solving conflict - all people (who make those decisions) have to take into account human nature, and cause & effect in order to find the path to peace....and historians study history because they believe it can help them understand the present.

That you see paranoia in 3rd party's view of a conflict, the nature of people, cause & effect, and mention of history - is a reflection of your own mind, and lack of understanding.
Quote:
You then speculate further and presuppose that it would end in genocide.
Actually what I said was I wouldn't be surprised if it ended in Genocide. That is not a presupposition that it would end in genocide - merely exactly what is says - that I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Your language use shows an agenda driven slant to misrepresent what I wrote.

Quote:
You are making assumptions based on presuppositions based on question begging, and all of this is based on your paranoia about "the Muslims."
Oh dear. Your writing reminds me of a frightened ostrich's writing '.

Quote:
You are basing your assumptions, presuppositions and question begging on your understanding of history which is colored by your stereotyping and bigotry.
I happily stereotype in generalised discussions...that's the nature of generalised discussions, for you can't generalise without stereotyping (which is a generalisation).

You do understand that it is stereotyping an individual that is not good?

You are welcome to your view of what constitutes bigotry - it has more affect on your self imposed one eyedness than on my approach to understanding.

Quote:
The reality is that Israel is the most glaring manifestation of Western imperialism and intervention by violating the rights of the Palestinian peoples in Palestine for the benefit of a European people escaping their problems in Europe.
Well, I can think of more glaring manifestations of Western Imperialism, but Israel is a sort of example.

Quote:
The reality is that what threatens Israel, and the US and the West for that matter, in their obdurate repression of the Palestinian peoples is worse than a moral and just solution to the conflict.
Yes, the oppression is obdurate.

As for it being worse...that, I wonder if the Jews hold the same opinion?

Quote:
When a country ceases to exist should be utterly obvious.

Do you notice that this discussion goes nowhere? You are an idealist...it's simple...in your safe little world, you are able to ignore how humanity works, and throw stones around...never actually having to deal with the reality of the worlds that you criticize.

Do you also notice that I make acknowledgements where they are due? Do you ever wonder why I do so?
vikorr

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 01:54 am
@vikorr,
As a thought for you - in terms of stereotyping in general conversation - I'll give you the following example from Australia :

Stereotype : Aboriginal people have alcohol problems : More Accurately : Most aboriginal people don't drink at all, but of those that do, a much higher percentage of them drink to excess (as in chronically) than the general population. Outcome of acknowledging the problem : programs can be put in place to help reduce the instances of Chronic alcoholism.

Stereotype : Aboriginal people have a crime problem : More accurately : The instances of jailed aboriginal people drastically outweighs the instances of the general population, per capita (with much of it linked to chronic alcoholism) : Outcome of acknowledging the problem : govt can seek ways to reduce offence rates within their communities.

Stereotype : Aboriginal people have a poverty problem : More accurately : Many aboriginal people are caught on reserves (which lends itself to boredom, low self-esteem, and alcoholism), and generally in a cycle of poverty that is difficult to break : outcome of acknowledging the problem : ways can be sought to break the cycle of poverty.

Now, those stereotypes are true of the people as a whole, and acknowledging general problems is the first step in the path to mitigating or resolving those generalised problems...but to meet one and expect him/her to be a broke, alcoholic criminal...that's where stereotyping is bad.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 03:51 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

The Israelis merely returned to their own homeland. That is hardly imperialism.

InfraBlue wrote:

The Palestinians are not being repressed. They are merely being prevented from murdering people.

And there is no threat to Israel, to the US, or to the West, that cannot be easily dispatched with a vigorous military response.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 03:53 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Be that as it may, it still leaves the problem of Israel's repression of the Palestinian peoples unaddressed, and merely ignores it in favor of some bigoted assertions of what surprises people.

All that is being done to the Palestinians is, they are being prevented from murdering people. That isn't repression.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 01:17 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

If you note - in making decisions aimed at solving conflict - all people (who make those decisions) have to take into account human nature, and cause & effect in order to find the path to peace....and historians study history because they believe it can help them understand the present.

That you see paranoia in 3rd party's view of a conflict, the nature of people, cause & effect, and mention of history - is a reflection of your own mind, and lack of understanding.

What I see is a third party’s view of a conflict tainted by their prejudices and bigotries, and attempting to rationalize them by mentioning history, human nature, cause & effect, etc, and arriving at cynical conclusions thereof.

Quote:
Quote:
You then speculate further and presuppose that it would end in genocide.
Actually what I said was I wouldn't be surprised if it ended in Genocide. That is not a presupposition that it would end in genocide - merely exactly what is says - that I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Your language use shows an agenda driven slant to misrepresent what I wrote.

So, instead of stating an assertion, you’re merely stating that based on your question begging, a worst case scenario wouldn’t surprise you. Understood.

Quote:
Quote:
Oh dear. Your writing reminds me of a frightened ostrich's writing '.

Whatever that means.

Quote:
You do understand that it is stereotyping an individual that is not good?

You do understand that that is but one form of stereotyping that is bad, yes? What also isn’t good is the stereotyping of entire groups of people. When you say as “the Jews” discriminate against “the Muslims,” so “the Muslims” will discriminate against “the Jews” you are stereotyping all Jews and all Muslims. If you didn’t mean to stereotype these groups of people you should be more precise in your language.

Quote:
You are welcome to your view of what constitutes bigotry - it has more affect on your self imposed one eyedness than on my approach to understanding.

Keep rationalizing your approach to understanding.

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, the oppression is obdurate.

As for it being worse...that, I wonder if the Jews hold the same opinion?

I wonder if you realize that the Zionists (not “the Jews”) don’t even consider what they’re doing to the Palestinians as oppression for you to even wonder if they hold the same opinion about it being worse.

Quote:
Quote:
When a country ceases to exist should be utterly obvious.

So a country ceases to exist when a regime—which is what I am referring to--is replaced, like when the Vichy Regime came to be replaced by the Provisional Government of the French Republic, France ceased to exist?

If you believe this, then you have a limited understanding of what constitutes a country.

Quote:
Do you notice that this discussion goes nowhere? You are an idealist...it's simple...in your safe little world, you are able to ignore how humanity works, and throw stones around...never actually having to deal with the reality of the worlds that you criticize.

Well that’s a risibly facile way to dismiss opinions that differ from yours, especially in regard to your assertions as to “how humanity works.”

Quote:
Do you also notice that I make acknowledgements where they are due? Do you ever wonder why I do so?

Yeah, you make acknowledgements and dissents based on your opinions. If you think they are based on some supposed knowledge of “how humanity works” you are severely self-deluded.
vikorr

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 01:40 pm
@InfraBlue,
Ah, I see there is little point with discussion with you in most areas on this thread.

Just a couple of points left then.

Quote:
You do understand that that is but one form of stereotyping that is bad, yes? What also isn’t good is the stereotyping of entire groups of people. When you say as “the Jews” discriminate against “the Muslims,” so “the Muslims” will discriminate against “the Jews” you are stereotyping all Jews and all Muslims. If you didn’t mean to stereotype these groups of people you should be more precise in your language.

Your again attempt to misrepresent. Some honesty would be valued - Generalisations have never meant ‘all’. Quite frankly – given the explanation on generalisation/stereotyping I gave afterwards, which explicitly outlines examples this – I can only think you are being contrary.

If I said ‘Australians are a happy go lucky people’ – It is implicit that I most certainly wouldn’t mean every single one (all) of them - just a decent majority of them). Your attempts to paint in a bad light anyone who disagrees with you descends into absurdity.

Quote:
Yeah, you make acknowledgements and dissents based on your opinions. If you think they are based on some supposed knowledge of “how humanity works” you are severely self-deluded.
Conflicts, discrimination, oppressions, and genocides caused by hatreds/prejudices in the past would actually indicate that what I said is very likely at the low end, and a possibility at the high end.

That was what started this all, isn't it ? As I previously mentioned - you have your head in it's idealistic sand.

I've been wondering why you put so much resistance into this particular area (as history shows it does happen)...and now I'm guessing that if you acknowledged this - it would complicate your view of how this should be solved...and that would shake your idealised world.
Foofie

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 07:55 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

You seem to be waxing nostalgic about 1948. However, after the 1957 war, the Sephardic Jews living in Arab countries were sent to Israel. Israel overnight became 50% non-European Jewish. And, since the Sephardic Jews have a birthrate higher than the Ashkenazim (European Jews), the country is now a minority European Jews.

But, since many people think that all Jews are descended from the characters on Fiddler on the Roof, the canard that Israel is another European effort at colonial takeover will continue to exist.

Don't tell the Ethiopean Jews that they are European. They have great pride in their African heritage that never gave up their Judaism. Some people think they may be the original Jews. If that is the case, then the hostility towards Jews that wound up light complected is just a reversal of the usual racism.

Hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm (don't that beat all).
Foofie

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 07:57 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Foofie wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Perhaps, you are ignoring the Syrian conflict, where the regime is killing its own people. But, you focus on Jews; it might be more to many people's liking.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 08:58 pm
Why must the US change it's approach to the Middle East?

If the billions of dollars we pay Egypt every year to honor its treaty isn't reason enough for them to do so, then Morsi should tell us to keep our money... Of course he won't.

Clearly the US government favors the position of Israel over that of the Palestinians., and this is because the US people, in great measure, favor Israel over the Palestinians.

If the Palestinians really want to get a "fair shake" from a US government then they need to change their approach to the US. They are sympathetic only in the eyes of the left-wing in America; who represent a minority of Americans. Straping explosives around their waists and climbing onto buses filled with innocent Israelis is not winning them fans in the US. Firing endless barrages of rockets into Irael from Gaza isn't something the average American is going to find attractive, and the images of their celebrating in the streets after 9/11 is something that I, frankly, don't think they will ever be able to remedy in the minds of Americans.

The Palestinians have done a great job in schmoozing Europeans and the Radical Chic in the US, but by now you would think one or two of them would realize that it hasn't delivered them anything of substance.

Even if all the rants about how Israel has made their lives a living hell were true, one would expect them to have figured our by now that their approach isn't working. They are not going to wipe Israel off the face of the earth and they are not winning the hearts and minds of Americans.

One can understand why the average Palestinian may only be able to express rage, but they are not being served by their leaders who keep insisting on outcomes they will never obtain whether it be through violence or making demands of America.

It should make everyone consider how their leaders personally profit by a neverending condition of strife.

Oil and Israel are the only reasons any American president (except perhaps Obama) gives a damn about this region.

It's peculiar that the same left-wing Americans who scold their country for its inteference in the Middle East, are also, by and large, dead set against America developing it's own fossil fuel resources.

I guess NIMBY trumps solidarity with the Palestinians and Muslims throughout the region.

Oh yes, and there are a great number of Maypole Dancers who believe that if onlywe discard our crass materialism, we can replace fossil fuels with alternative energy sources as the engine of our economy. And hey, if wind and solar isn't quite up to the task we can all just wear sweaters, and stop watching so much TV.

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 11:27 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

You seem to be waxing nostalgic about 1948.

You’re demonstrating your predilection for paranoid assumptions.
Quote:
However, after the 1957 war, the Sephardic Jews living in Arab countries were sent to Israel. Israel overnight became 50% non-European Jewish. And, since the Sephardic Jews have a birthrate higher than the Ashkenazim (European Jews), the country is now a minority European Jews.

That does not negate the fact that Israel was created for the benefit of the European Jews. The Sephardic Jews were caught up in the fiasco that followed Israel’s creation. Their expulsion from the countries of the Middle East benefited Israel in populating the country.

When it’s convenient to your argument, you yourself acknowledge that Israel was created as a result of Western/European guilt as regards the Holocaust.
Quote:
But, since many people think that all Jews are descended from the characters on Fiddler on the Roof, the canard that Israel is another European effort at colonial takeover will continue to exist.

Okay.

Quote:
Don't tell the Ethiopean Jews that they are European. They have great pride in their African heritage that never gave up their Judaism. Some people think they may be the original Jews. If that is the case, then the hostility towards Jews that wound up light complected is just a reversal of the usual racism.

You’re right. The Ethiopian Jews are not Europeans. Israel is a product of nineteenth century European ethnocentric nationalism called Zionism. It was not founded by nor for Ethiopian Jews. It was founded for the benefit of European Jews. I'm sure you could find a plethora of books about the Zionists at your local library.

Quote:
Hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm (don't that beat all).

And how!
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 11:33 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Foofie wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Perhaps, you are ignoring the Syrian conflict, where the regime is killing its own people. But, you focus on Jews; it might be more to many people's liking.

And you continue to leave the problem of Israel's repression of the Palestinian peoples unaddressed by dragging your red herring across the discussion. I for one, sir, refuse to follow!
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:04 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Ah, I see there is little point with discussion with you in most areas on this thread.

Just a couple of points left then.

Your again attempt to misrepresent. Some honesty would be valued - Generalisations have never meant ‘all’. Quite frankly – given the explanation on generalisation/stereotyping I gave afterwards, which explicitly outlines examples this – I can only think you are being contrary.

If I said ‘Australians are a happy go lucky people’ – It is implicit that I most certainly wouldn’t mean every single one (all) of them - just a decent majority of them). Your attempts to paint in a bad light anyone who disagrees with you descends into absurdity.

Your rationalizations are becoming tiresome.

Quote:
Quote:
Conflicts, discrimination, oppressions, and genocides caused by hatreds/prejudices in the past would actually indicate that what I said is very likely at the low end, and a possibility at the high end.

That was what started this all, isn't it ? As I previously mentioned - you have your head in it's idealistic sand.

I've been wondering why you put so much resistance into this particular area (as history shows it does happen)...and now I'm guessing that if you acknowledged this - it would complicate your view of how this should be solved...and that would shake your idealised world.

Ironically, for someone so disdainful of idealism, you fail to acknowledge that a great deal of support for Israel is religious idealism, the idea that the existence of a Zionistic Israel is essential for the second coming of the Christ, and other theological tenets. It’s a myopia on your part that’s caused by your own contrariness.

In terms of realpolitik the Western countries’ support of Israel is a detriment to their practical national interests.