Civil War, in Texas ?

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 01:26 pm
I don't have to refute oraloy's assertions, as it has been done repeatedly by setanta and most others who participate in the same threads he posts in. Job well done, to infinitum, even. No information has sunk in as yet, but it's sometimes fun to watch. I just drop in to voice an opinion and read what others say.
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 01:35 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I've shown your bullshit again and again,

No you haven't. (Nor could you, given the fact that I've always told the truth.)

Setanta wrote:
such as that the constitution prohibits the militia from serving outside the borders of the country, a subject on which it is mute.

Nope. That is an instance where the Constitution speaks quite loudly.

The only areas where the Constitution authorizes federal control of the militia are: repelling invasions, suppressing insurrections, and enforcing the law.

If you were hoping to show an example of where you had proven me wrong, it is pretty silly to refer to an instance where you were the only one who was wrong.

Setanta wrote:
The first clause of the second amendment reads "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State . . . " That is an observation, not an injunction. It certainly is not a requirement that government always have a militia, merely tht it's a good idea.

No, the words of the Constitution have the force of law. That makes them an injunction.
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 01:37 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
parados wrote:
That has been done repeatedly.

Nope. All you've done here is make vague insinuations that I am somehow wrong.

You've not made any concrete arguments whatsoever.

Actually I have.

No you haven't.

parados wrote:
As has Setanta and several others.

Setanta has, just now, but it is buried in a lot of bluster about imaginary cases of me being wrong.

parados wrote:
Because you remain unwilling to accept it doesn't change reality.

I am addressing the concrete arguments that Setanta is making (though as I noted, all the bluster about imagined cases of "me being wrong" sort of obscures things).

There is no reality to your empty claim about showing any error in my arguments.

You are just blowing smoke about a subject that you are unqualified to address.
parados

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 01:44 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

You might not want to project your own failings on others.
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 01:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I don't have to refute oraloy's assertions,

Well, you don't have to. But when you try to make a claim without backing it up, you merely show what a buffoon you are.

edgarblythe wrote:
as it has been done repeatedly by setanta and most others who participate in the same threads he posts in.

Liar. There was one point where Parados corrected me on a minor piece of trivia that I was recalling from distant memory.

You can't show another instance of one of my claims being refuted (and certainly not on an issue that was one of my main points).
parados

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 01:49 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

Well, you don't have to. But when you try to make a claim without backing it up, you merely show what a buffoon you are.

It's been backed up many times. We see no reason to repeat it or provide any evidence you ask for.
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 01:52 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

You might not want to project your own failings on others.

Don't worry. I won't.

I do not share your tendency to leap into a topic and start making claims without even knowing what I am talking about.

If I am making a claim about a subject, rest assured that I already know more about the subject than you know about everything.

I also do not share your tendency to respond to posts by making vague claims that "someone is always wrong" without actually showing any examples of them being wrong.

When I challenge something, I actually point out the error that I am challenging.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 01:54 pm
@oralloy,
I don't need to call you names back. I let the record speak for itself.
parados

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 01:55 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

If I am making a claim about a subject, rest assured that I already know more about the subject than you know about everything.

Sure, like when you claimed your IQ was 600.
Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 01:56 pm
@oralloy,
I find it significant that you never quote the text of the constitution. Article One, Section Eight contains the following paragraph:

[Congress shall have the power] To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

That does not state or imply that those are the only conditions under which the militia may be employed. The people who wrote that document were lawyers or were in a position to consult with lawyers every day. They made a flexible document by not hedging the actions of the government around with nit-picking details of their action, and they left a lot of lattitude for action by not attempting to "micro-manage." That paragraph neither restricts the use of militia to those occasions, nor addresses at all whether or not the militia may serve outside our borders. There is no "only" in that text--you've put that in there because you're wedded to some truly bizzare arguments about the nature of the militia, and part of your polemic is to deny that the National Guard constitutes a part of the miitia, despite the Militia Act of 1903.

In fact, in 1812, Isaac Brock invaded United States territory at the site of persent day Detroit. As a part of the effort to repel that invasion, the New York militia (that portion of it which didn't actually run away) was assembled opposite the Niagara Peninsula, which they eventually invaded at Queenston, Upper Canada. The assembly of the New York militia and a handful of regulars was quickly reported to Brock, who rushed clear across southern Upper Canada to Queenston, where he was killed in the battle which took place the day he arrived (stupid, stupid, stupid gesture of useless heroics). For repelling an invaion, it was very effective--British forces and their Amerindian allies withdrew from United States territory immediately because of the greater threat to the east.

When you try to cobble together your feeble arguments, why don't you rely on actually quoting the document, rather than just making your bullshit up as you go along. So, for example, although certainly the text of the constitution has the force of law, that law cannot be construed to mean things which the document doesn't actually say. That's what you do constantly--that's not how the courts interpret the document
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 01:58 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

It's been backed up many times.

Stop lying. The buffoon did not try to back up his bogus claim even once.

parados wrote:
We see no reason to repeat it or provide any evidence you ask for.

No, it is more that you cannot provide anything to back your claims.

You have no case, no evidence, and you are bluffing to try to obscure the truth.

And (setting aside for a moment the dishonesty of maliciously trying to obscure the truth), you're not even very good at bluffing, since you know so little about the subject you are bluffing about.
Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 01:59 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Seriously ? ! ? ! ?

Was that 600 on the 180 point short form, or on the 200 point full test?

Cue the music . . .

http://katymunger.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/twilight-zone.jpg
Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 02:05 pm
I think a little soundtrack would be appropriate . . .

0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 02:05 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

You have no case, no evidence, and you are bluffing to try to obscure the truth.

I suppose I could respond with this -

I probably could. I've argued materiality before. But I don't remember the argument . And I've already stated my lack of interest

Or this

I am no longer interested enough in the issue to look anything up. My discussion of this subject will be limited to whatever I can pull from my memory

But this one is probably most apropos -

Liar.
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 02:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I don't need to call you names back.

Pointing out that "your refusal to back your arguments" makes you look like a buffoon, is hardly name-calling.

edgarblythe wrote:
I let the record speak for itself.

The record says that you make untrue and empty claims without even trying to back them up.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 02:19 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Quote:

Hardly an accurate representation of my claim.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 02:23 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I find it significant that you never quote the text of the constitution.

I'm pretty sure I've quoted it before.

Setanta wrote:
Article One, Section Eight contains the following paragraph:

[Congress shall have the power] To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

That does not state or imply that those are the only conditions under which the militia may be employed. The people who wrote that document were lawyers or were in a position to consult with lawyers every day. They made a flexible document by not hedging the actions of the government around with nit-picking details of their action, and they left a lot of lattitude for action by not attempting to "micro-manage." That paragraph neither retstricts the use of militia to those occasions, nor addresses at all whether or not the militia may serve outside our borders. There is no "only" in that text--you've put that in there

Wrong. The Framers intentionally made the Constitution so that the federal government only has the authority to do what the Constitution expressly authorizes it to do.

That's been the most fundamental principle of our Constitution from the beginning, and has been the core issue of almost all the cases ever heard by the Supreme Court.

As one prominent example, note the recent health care challenge before the Supreme Court. Remember how there was a big risk of it being struck down because the court might find that the Constitution did not authorize the feds in that area? Remember how the court upheld it because they found that the mandate counted as a tax, which was an area that the feds did have jurisdiction over?

Setanta wrote:
In fact, in 1812, Isaac Brock invaded United States territory at the site of persent day Detroit. As a part of the effort to repel that invasion, the New York militia (that portion of it which didn't actually run away) was assembled opposite the Niagara Peninsula, which they eventually invaded at Queenston, Upper Canada. The assembly of the New York militia and a handful of regulars was quickly reported to Brock, who rushed clear across southern Upper Canada to Queenston, where he was kiulled in the battle which took place the day he arrived (stupid, stupid, stupid gesture of useless heroics).

Yes, some militiamen did cross into Canada in the War of 1812. But some states flatly refused to send militia, for the very reason that it was a violation of the Constitution for them to serve outside US borders.

Setanta wrote:
When you try to cobble together your feeble arguments,

You might be better served by devoting a greater effort to actually trying to disprove my arguments instead of making so many empty claims that they are feeble.

Setanta wrote:
why don't you rely on actually quoting the document,

Well, I knew you were familiar with the part in question, so there was no need to quote it.

And as I recall, the first half dozen times you tried to challenge me on this point, I did quote it.

Setanta wrote:
rather than just making your bullshit up as you go along.

I note again your failure to ever point out any inaccuracies in what I say.

Setanta wrote:
So, for example, although certainly the text of the constitution has the force of law, that law cannot be construed to mean things which the document doesn't actually say.

Indeed. And the legal history of the right makes it abundantly clear that the intent was to require the government to always have a militia.

Setanta wrote:
That's what you do constantly

Nope. You cannot show a single instance of me ever construing any part of the Constitution to mean what it doesn't say.

Setanta wrote:
that's not how the courts interpret the document

The courts have thus far devoted little time to interpreting the first half of the Second Amendment.

Again, if someone were willing to pay all the legal bills, I would gladly join the Michigan Volunteer Defense Force and then sue the government for my right as a militiaman to keep a stockpile of military weaponry in my home.
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 02:24 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
parados wrote:

Seriously ? ! ? ! ?

No. Parados is being as dishonest as usual. He is deliberately misinterpreting what I said.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 02:27 pm
@oralloy,
by your logic, you will be required to keep a muzzle loading musket and a big horse.

good luck with that...

Laughing
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 02:29 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

I suppose I could respond with this -

I probably could. I've argued materiality before. But I don't remember the argument . And I've already stated my lack of interest

Or this

I am no longer interested enough in the issue to look anything up. My discussion of this subject will be limited to whatever I can pull from my memory

Well, it isn't like I am pressing you to discuss a subject you are not all that interested in discussing.

If you don't want to have to back up your lies about me, you are free to just not lie about me.

parados wrote:
But this one is probably most apropos -

Liar.

You trash shouldn't run around falsely accusing your betters of your own dishonesty.
0 Replies