Civil War, in Texas ?

oralloy

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 11:57 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
I understand that's not so true of black bears as grizzlies, but that is more gossip than wisdom.

People with video recorders have filmed themselves being hunted by black bears. There have also been cases of black bears trying to pull people out of tents in the middle of the night.

If a black bear hunts you, it will relentlessly walk steadily towards you, locking onto your position no matter which direction you turn, and making a lot of noise to be sure that you notice (the idea is to intimidate you into panicking and running, because you might trip and fall, at which point the bear will charge in for the kill).
roger

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 12:09 am
@oralloy,
That tends to confirm what I've heard about black bears.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 12:50 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
If a black bear hunts you, it will relene essly walk steadily towards you, locking onto your position no matter which direction you turn, and making a lot of noise to be sure that you notice

If the above info is correct then hitting the bear with the full load of a clip would not be a hard task to do and once more hitting any animal with 7 rounds from my 1911 45 should in my opinion do the trick.

Not as good as a rifle or one of the super powerful handguns but I had faith in the 45 acp rounds then you are talking about 7 of them at point blank range.

BillRM

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 01:15 am
@BillRM,
Well I did some fast research on the net and the debate of is a 45 enough bear protection or not is hot and heavy.

Black bears however had been killed with a 45 so it is doable and once more any handgun would be the last resort in dealing with a bear in any case.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 01:18 am
@BillRM,
The govt. model points real well, and like most truely defensive situations is mostly going to be at close range. I've no doubt the 45 acp would kill it. The question is how soon. I've enormous respect for the gun and cartridge, but I wouldn't call it a real confidence builder in that situation. And like people, you might not know it's tracking you in time to get the gun in hand, though that's exactly the case with any other firearm, so probably doesn't bare mentioning.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 05:25 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
roger wrote:
At some point, a rifle begins to look like a better option.

Yes. If I ever decide to get this gun, it'll probably be a .450 Marlin.

Another good rifle choice would be a .300 mag loaded with 200-grain softpoints.

One hit to the chest would absolutely wreck the inside of a bear. It would be a pretty decisive way to end an attack.
0 Replies