Civil War, in Texas ?

BillRM

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 02:52 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
Hey, I think the cops may have found that right to privacy that conservatives are unable to locate.!!

Sorry a government officer doing public business on public property open to the public such as the roadways have no expectation of privacy.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 03:28 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Sorry a government officer doing public business on public property open to the public such as the roadways have no expectation of privacy.

Perhaps you meant has no right to an expectation of privacy. With that...I would agree. But it is obvious many of them HAVE an expectation of privacy whether they have the right or not.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 03:34 pm
@Joe Nation,
The police are acting in a public capacity.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 05:58 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
You missed my entire point that matters not what the Founders or anyone else wrote about how militias are of and part of the government. What matters is Timothy McVeigh thought differently and so do hundreds of others in the USA.

Those people are mistaken.

Joe Nation wrote:
Huh.
Kind of like what would happen if the dog ever caught the car.

What was the point of your efforts if you didn't take advantage of the results.

Joe(That seem odd to me.)Nation

I just want my right as a free person to carry a gun if I choose. Doesn't mean I'll ever choose to exercise that right, but as a free person I want my right to make that choice for myself.

I don't actually have to worry about a lot of crime where I am. My big concern is whether a bear will try to have me for lunch if I go for a walk in the woods.
BillRM

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 06:30 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
My big concern is whether a bear will try to have me for lunch if I go for a walk in the woods.

A bear?

What handgun can deal with a bear in your opinion?

A 1911 45 perhaps?
oralloy

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 07:41 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
What handgun can deal with a bear in your opinion?

A 1911 45 perhaps?

Not a .45ACP.

.44 Magnum is the absolute minimum.

.454 Casull will be good if you can handle the recoil. If the recoil is too much though you'd be better off with the .44 mag.

A single action revolver is probably better than a double action revolver, because the shape of the grip is better able to channel the recoil.

The .50 S&W has the recoil energy of a 12 gauge magnum. I can't imagine how that will work in a handgun, so I'd pass on that.
roger

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 08:53 pm
@oralloy,
I saw, but did not handle a .50 S&W. No photo will do justice to a behemoth like that. For somebody really large, a look through the classifieds might be productive. Look for something like ".50 S&W Cheap. Only fired once.

At some point, a rifle begins to look like a better option.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 08:59 pm
@roger,
I've fired a desert eagle a number of times. it belongs to a friend.

way too much kick for my taste...

If I'm hunting bear, I want a long gun. I damn sure want to hit where I aim.
BillRM

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 09:00 pm
@oralloy,
You know I had all the respect in the world for bears and how tough they are still I am having a hard time picturing a bear that could keep coming after being hits by 7 rounds clip of 45 fire.

There was a news story of a police officer that killed a black bear with a 357 revolver but I do not remember how many hits it took to bring the bear down.
roger

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 09:03 pm
@BillRM,
Poachers in South Florida used to use a .22 long rifle to quietly put away alligators. Bullet placement is vital. Just because something has been done at least once doesn't make it a good idea.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 09:16 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
If I'm hunting bear

Hunting bears is not the same as using a weapon at point blank range as a last resort in a self defense situation.

High power rifles would be the only sane firearm to go hunting bears in my opinion.

In any case, the only way I could in fact bring myself to kill such a beautiful animal would be in self defense as I am not a hunter.

Every time I watch the hunting channel and see someone stating how beautiful some wild animal happen to be before killing it I frankly shake my head.

But to each his own.
roger

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 09:20 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Every time I watch the hunting channel and see someone stating how beautiful some wild animal happen to be before killing it I frankly shake my head.

Me too.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 09:37 pm
@BillRM,
I would never seek to kill a bear just to kill a bear. I don't hunt any wild game. period.

but if I were to wander into bear country, I would go as if I were hunting bear, in case bear begins hunting me...
BillRM

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 09:54 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
I would go as if I were hunting bear, in case bear begins hunting me...

Bears do not 'normally' hunt humans and it is my understanding most trouble happen when a human get too near a female bear with clubs.

So the odds are pretty good that you can be in bears country and not end up on a bear menu plans.

A handgun would be just along in case the odds happen to be against you as if bear attacks odds was otherwise a high power rifle would be the only same weapon to have along in my opinion.
roger

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 10:11 pm
@BillRM,
I understand that's not so true of black bears as grizzlies, but that is more gossip than wisdom.

I have done some backpacking in the San Juan Mountains and come across one really clear bear print. Bear tracks are really distinctive if you get the right kind of mud, and it was no relief at all to see we were traveling in the same direction.
BillRM

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 10:21 pm
@roger,
My understanding is you are to do the reverse of what you would do it you was hunting and make as must noise as possible so you do not come upon a bear that is not aware that you are in the area.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 11:15 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
I saw, but did not handle a .50 S&W. No photo will do justice to a behemoth like that.

That would be one of the more sane versions of the .50 S&W.

There are extremely lightweight alloy revolvers that are chambered in .50 S&W, for those people who want their gun's recoil to do almost as much damage to them as the bullet does to the target.

roger wrote:
At some point, a rifle begins to look like a better option.

Yes. If I ever decide to get this gun, it'll probably be a .450 Marlin.
oralloy

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 11:17 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
I've fired a desert eagle a number of times. it belongs to a friend.

way too much kick for my taste...

The straight grip probably makes the recoil feel worse than a single action revolver firing the same round.

But the .50 AE would be a good bear defense round. As I recall, it's somewhere between the .44 magnum and the .454 Casull energy wise.

Rockhead wrote:
If I'm hunting bear, I want a long gun. I damn sure want to hit where I aim.

I'm thinking rifle myself. But handguns do have an advantage in that you may not have your rifle with you when the bear decides you're today's lunch.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 11:49 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
You know I had all the respect in the world for bears and how tough they are still I am having a hard time picturing a bear that could keep coming after being hits by 7 rounds clip of 45 fire.

That might work with an eastern black bear (which is the kind I have to worry about), but I wouldn't want to have to rely on it working.

I wouldn't expect a .45ACP to have even small odds of success against a big Alaskan bear.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 11:53 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Bears do not 'normally' hunt humans and it is my understanding most trouble happen when a human get too near a female bear with clubs.

Brown bears do not normally hunt humans, but if they are injured and unable to hunt normally, huger may drive them to do it.

But as far as black bears and polar bears are concerned, humans are "on the menu".