Civil War, in Texas ?

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:30 pm
This isn't Civil War, this is just thickheadedness.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/24/cooper-barton-oklahoma-st_n_1826730.html<br />
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 11:14 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Lemme get this straight... Local law enforcement is going to stop military forces.

Am I reading that right?

Well, I'm not sure the UN has much of a military. I bet a pack of cub scouts with BB guns could conquer the UN.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 11:15 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
He said he was going to call out the militia. You know, the one mentioned in the Second Amendment but never referred to by the gun nuts who want their guns but who don't want the Second Amendment connected to any 'duty to perform' on their part.

Now hold on here. Most of us would love to have the government set up a proper armed militia as the Second Amendment demands.

It is the freedom-hating leftists who don't want the US to have a proper armed militia.

Joe Nation wrote:
So, yeah, it's going to be this judge, a bunch of the boys from over at the feedlot and that cowboy who joined the Army a couple years back but decided it wasn't American enough for him right after he was thrown out for trying to form "a special unit of White Men" and twice for being drunk.

Actually Texas has an official militia I believe (I know Michigan does). But they are kept unarmed in violation of the Second Amendment, and are more like some sort of "civilian public volunteers" than a real fighting force.
oralloy

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 11:36 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Actually Texas has an official militia I believe (I know Michigan does).

Yes.

Texas: http://www.txsg.state.tx.us

Michigan: http://mivdf.org/site/
Rockhead

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 11:39 pm
@oralloy,
are Michigan's militiamen being readied to repel the UN forces as well?
oralloy

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 11:46 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
are Michigan's militiamen being readied to repel the UN forces as well?

I doubt it. Besides the fact that it is unlikely that the governors of either state are too concerned about the UN invading, neither militia is actually a fighting force.

Instead of being in-state versions of the National Guard, they are more like in-state versions of FEMA.

(If someone agreed to pay my legal bills, I'd join the Michigan Volunteer Defense Force and then sue to be allowed my right as a militiaman to buy M-16s, grenades/grenade launchers, and bazookas, and to keep them in my own home.)
Rockhead

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 11:48 pm
@oralloy,
what if I offer to pay burial expenses?
oralloy

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 11:50 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
what if I offer to pay burial expenses?

I wouldn't expect that going to court would involve any fatalities.

Lawyers can be expensive however.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 11:52 pm
@oralloy,
I think you should finance your own fantasies...

but I'd help bury you.

I'm a nice guy that way...
oralloy

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 11:58 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
I think you should finance your own fantasies...

but I'd help bury you.

I'm a nice guy that way...

Why would you think going to court might result in my demise?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 08:07 am
@Frank Apisa,
The majority of Texans will never attempt to secede. It's the nut jobs what get all the press.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 08:12 am
I presented this story in my Oddities and Humor thread a few days back. I wondered how long it would take it to get any traction.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 08:18 am
I'd have to check in with Setanta to be sure, but I don't the Founding Fathers envisioned a volunteer militia. Every able-bodied free male was required in the earliest days of the Republic to purchase and keep a long rifle and, I think, a sidearm of some kind, sword or pistol.

If we were to fully implement the Second Amendment as it reads, everyone, male or female presently, would have to be a participant in each State Miltia.

Anyone not participating would, of course, forfeit the right to own arms of any kind.

Joe(way too late for that now)Nation
farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 08:26 am
@edgarblythe,
Wasnt Texas the starting point of AMerica"Love it or leave it". My how fickle you Tejanos are
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 08:29 am
@farmerman,
Whatever fits at the moment, dude. By the way, Chuck Norris has been quoted as saying he wants to be President of Texas, should the new nation emerge.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 09:01 am
@edgarblythe,
I'm kinda hoping that is the case...and for certain I hope (expect) you are not one of them. I just got my hackles (whatever the hell they are) up for a few minutes and sounded off, Edgar.

You definitely are one of my favorite Texans.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 09:03 am
@Frank Apisa,
I hate Texans but I love Texans.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 09:59 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I hate Texans but I love Texans.

Now if you had said, "I do not 'believe' a majority of Texans want to secede...and I do not 'believe' a majority of Texans do not want to secede"...

...it would have made sense and been an example of what I said about "I do not believe there are any gods and I do not believe there are no gods."

Both would be statements about a lack of belief in certain things.

I truly am not one of the people who 'believe' there are no gods...and I truly am not one of the people who 'believe' there are gods. It makes perfect sense for an agnostic...and it also makes sense for a weak atheist.

I also do not 'believe' a majority of Texans want to secede...and I do not 'believe' a majority of Texans do not want to secede. Still up for grabs as far as I am concerned.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 09:59 am
@Frank Apisa,
But it was a funny reply.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 10:36 am
@Frank Apisa,
Well Frank, I thought I knew what hackles were until I looked it up but it is a feeling of anger or anomosity according to my online dict..
0 Replies