Republican Senate Nominee: "Legitimate" rape victims don't get pregnant

RABEL222

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 09:49 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Gee!! Maybe the MO. voters arnt brain dead. Of course the election isent over yet.
Cycloptichorn

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 09:55 am
@RABEL222,
The GOP is in an impossible position here - they've all already disavowed the guy, and promised to spend no money to help him, but he didn't drop out. What can they do?

His continued presence is going to harm them for the rest of the election.

Cycloptichorn
Setanta

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 10:00 am
It is not reasonable to assume that Republicans, just because they are Republicans, are necessarily stupid, insensitive, ignorant or cynical. There is every likelihood that a great many of the party's prominent members are disgusted by this clown. All of them, however, are more or less in thrall to the religious right, and now that Akin has publicly apologized, the religious right are going to close ranks around him. The problem that prominent Republicans have is not that they are Republicans, but rather that they are politicians. That means that they are unlikely to respond with their true feelings, but are rather likely to continue to hope to appeal to the religious right and the anti-science and education elements of the right.
DrewDad

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 10:11 am
@engineer,
I've seen where they asked him to drop out of the race; I hadn't seen where they said he's wrong.
0 Replies

revelette

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 10:15 am
@Setanta,
Considering the author of the article did not say anything about force, I think your question is not relevant to the article.

It seems to me that these issues depend on the prevailing mood or trend of political thought. A religious extreme right has managed to turn the thinking of a lot of people. I guess the same thing happened during the civil rights movement and other movement of the era in the opposite direction. If states can force schools to teach Abstinence only they can turn right around and include full sex education curriculum to their local schools.
IRFRANK

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 10:17 am
I wonder if any Republicans have put the pieces together and realized that God is not happy with them and is sending a hurricane to their convention to prove it. Perhaps they should rethink their stance on this whole issue?
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 10:18 am
@revelette,
What i am considering is your limited grasp of the English langauge.

Quote:
If President Obama and other elected officials are serious about their desire to fully educate Americans about the facts on human sexuality in their high school classes, they have to stop supporting abstinence misinformation campaigns. (emphasis added)

"They have to stop . . . " How do you propose they do that? Rather, how does the author of the article propose that be done--he or she doesn't say.
Setanta

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 10:21 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
If states can force schools to teach Abstinence only they can turn right around and include full sex education curriculum to their local schools.

Uh-huh . . . and how are Mr. Obama and "other elected officials" to accomplish this laudable goal?
0 Replies

revelette

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 10:23 am
@Setanta,
They do that by getting on TV and other avenues and talking about it, talk about sex education when giving speeches and things like that so that when people in their local communities go to vote on various ballots, one of them could be to broaden the sex education curriculum in local schools.
Setanta

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 10:24 am
@revelette,
Have you ever been to Missouri? Do you have any first-hand experience of the people of the religious right?

You're livin' in La-la Land.
revelette

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 10:29 am
@Setanta,
Nope, never been to Missouri. I live in southern kentucky, of course I have had first hand experience with people of the religious right. It is hard to fight.
Setanta

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 10:30 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
It is hard to fight.

Then i see no reason for your snotty replay about "force." If you know the religous right, then you should understand how idiotic it was for the author to suggest that Mr. Obama can do anything about the situation.
0 Replies

firefly

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 10:34 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
His continued presence is going to harm them for the rest of the election.

Hopefully.

His continued presence will continue to remind voters that many other Republicans, beside Akin, think about these issues in the same way he does. And that definitely includes Paul Ryan. While Ryan has currently been forced into saying, "Rape is rape, end of the story," his past track record on the issue speaks for itself, and it's not the end of the story. A vote for Romney is a vote that could potentially put Paul Ryan in the White House.

All Akin did was to let the cat out of the bag in terms of the many other religious right wing Republicans who share the same views, and that base has significant influence on party policy, and party votes in Congress, and the type of legislation that will affect everyone. Better that the general public realizes now what these people are like, how they think, and wake up to the fact that Romney is cut from the same cloth and more than willing to pander to that extremist segment of his party's base.

I think Akin's remarks will wind up doing the country a favor by shining a light on the unsavory underbelly of the Republican party.
http://www.oakridgenow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/cartoon-0821121.jpg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 10:34 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

What i am considering is your limited grasp of the English langauge.

Quote:
If President Obama and other elected officials are serious about their desire to fully educate Americans about the facts on human sexuality in their high school classes, they have to stop supporting abstinence misinformation campaigns. (emphasis added)

"They have to stop . . . " How do you propose they do that? Rather, how does the author of the article propose that be done--he or she doesn't say.

The article doesn't say the administration needs to stop abstinence programs; the article says the administration needs to stop supporting abstinence programs.

Obama Administration Tacitly Supports Abstinence Program

Under Obama administration, abstinence-only education finds surprising new foothold

Edit: Both articles appear to refer to the same program.
Setanta

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 10:49 am
@DrewDad,
Now that is a reasonable response. Had the author of the article provided such a detailed comment, i'd have had no objections.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 10:50 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Actually that's a very good strategy; plant a democrat into their politics as a GOP, and have him/her run as a republican. Then, when things get heated up, bring up the dirt like "personhood" into the mix in the middle of the battle to divert the attention to who they really are!

This strategy will work, because they can't do the reverse. Mr. Green 2 Cents 2 Cents
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 11:07 am
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/528033_480199328666692_1752844686_n.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 11:23 am
@sozobe,
True Christians know to walk on water ...
IRFRANK

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 11:31 am
@sozobe,
Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 01:03 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
That's what they believe by establishing laws to control other humans.
0 Replies