cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 10:11 pm
@Rockhead,
Here's another story about cutting school budgets.

Colleges and universities in California are recruiting students from out of state over local students, because they pay more in tuition; all while the California taxpayers subsidizes the education for Calfornians.

They've all gone bonkers.
spendius

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 04:36 am
@cicerone imposter,
It's been going on for years ci. The prestige of some universities has been marketed to the well off all around the globe. Education is a business proposition. If you had included Veblen, a very famous educator, in your education you would not be as surprised as you seem to be. The stuff in Media is spin.

The operation actually makes the education of the locals cheaper. It also provides a modicum of exogamy.

spendius

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 04:40 am
@spendius,
President Assad did post graduate studies in England and married an English lady who no doubt saw some advantages in having a president's son spoused. One of Gadaffi's sons attended the London School of Economics and provided large funds for some scheme or other. His exam papers being marked with that uppermost in mind.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 03:47 pm
Dads out there please weigh in... according to this guy if your daughter gets pregnant by rolling around in the back seat of her boyfriend's Chevy it's a similar situation as if she'd been raped. Really?

Quote:
Smith said Monday at the Pennsylvania Press Club that although he condemns Akin's comment, he agrees with Akin that abortion should be banned without any exceptions, including for rape and incest victims. Pressed by a reporter on how he would handle a daughter or granddaughter becoming pregnant as a result of rape, Smith said he had already "lived something similar to that" in his family.

"She chose life, and I commend her for that," he said. "She knew my views. But, fortunately for me, I didn't have to ... she chose the way I thought. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't rape."

When a reporter asked Smith to clarify what kind of situation was similar to becoming pregnant from rape, the candidate responded, "Having a baby out of wedlock."

He added, "Put yourself in a father's position. Yes, it is similar." really
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 09:59 am
"Maggots"

Yep, maggots.

Quote:
As some Republicans continue to cope with the prospect of another four years under President Barack Obama, a Texas GOP official is floating a simple way out: cleaving his state from the union.

Peter Morrison, treasurer of the Hardin County Republican Party, wrote a column in the post-election edition of his Tea Party newsletter this week calling for an "amicable divorce" from the U.S., the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports.

"Why should Vermont and Texas live under the same government?" he wrote. "Let each go her own way."

Morrison went on to express anger at the "maggots" who backed Obama, specifically calling out non-white voters, whom he accused of voting for the president on an "ethnic basis." yep, maggots
JPB

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 10:05 am
@JPB,
From the link within the article

Quote:
did I mention that Morrison was chosen by former State Board of Education Chairman Don McLeroy to help screen Texas public school textbooks?

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/11/08/4399621/hardin-county-gop-official-wants.html#storylink=cpy

even though he's a home schooler.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 11:51 am
@JPB,
A glance at the election map shows, once again, that the red states have together a continuous, unbroken land and sea border.

Those are the essential features of an integrated nation and an important force which might drive them into unity is the ridiculous manner in which some over-confident spokespersons from the blue states are passing incoherent opinions about them on the basis of a 2.5% lead in the popular vote. A reduction incidently from the 6.7% lead in 2008.

Another important force being a religious consensus.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 12:09 pm
@spendius,
So you and idiots like you are advocating another civil war?
spendius

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 12:16 pm
@RABEL222,
I advocated nothing. If anything some of the childish hubris expressed by liberals is advocating division.
JTT

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 08:37 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
If anything some of the childish hubris expressed by liberals is advocating division.

Quote:
Morrison went on to express anger at the "maggots" who backed Obama, specifically calling out non-white voters, whom he accused of voting for the president on an "ethnic basis." yep, maggots
spendius

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 04:38 am
@JTT,
The division of the "race" vote is an invitation and a provocation for the whites to respond in kind.

Those who have been acrimonious look a bit ridiculous when they then start talking about "reaching across the aisle".

I was talking about A2Kers. I had just seen a long line of childish posts denigrating a man who had just polled 58 million American votes and whose party had retained control of the House and most of the country outside the north-east and the far west.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 04:49 am
@JTT,
What are you doing defending liberals JT? They have shared responsibility for all the woes you mention. Kennedy/Johnsom, Carter, Clinton and Obama.
JTT

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 10:57 am
@spendius,
Quote:
What are you doing defending liberals JT?

That wasn't so much a defense of liberals, Spendi, as it was pointing up your stunning hypocrisy.

Quote:
They have shared responsibility for all the woes you mention. Kennedy/Johnsom, Carter, Clinton and Obama.

Not so much 'liberals' as US born and bred war criminals. I've said a number of times if Jesus were to become prez, he too would become a terrorist/war criminal. I think there must be an unwritten portion of the US constitution that all these guys have to agree to in secret. Altho' it's not much of a secret.
spendius

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 11:24 am
@JTT,
What "stunning hypocrisy"?

Have you fallen into using the assertion as an argument too?
JTT

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 11:58 am
@spendius,
Quote:
What "stunning hypocrisy"?

I'll retract that, Spendius.

But how did you miss this?

Quote:
If anything some of the childish hubris expressed by liberals is advocating division.

Quote:
Morrison went on to express anger at the "maggots" who backed Obama, specifically calling out non-white voters, whom he accused of voting for the president on an "ethnic basis." JPB comment: yep, maggots

spendius

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 02:14 pm
@JTT,
I was only talking about the childish hubris exhibited by some liberals on these threads. I hadn't seen Mr Morrison's performance. Now I have I'll put it in the same category.

I didn't criticise it anyway. I only said it was childish, which it is, and divisive, which it also is. When material facts are seen as fault finding it denotes over-sensitivity.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 02:34 pm
@Setanta,
And it was also said about Bush during the 2004 campaign.
Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 03:40 pm
@mysteryman,
Yeah, it's a pretty popular, albeit short-lived, conspiracy theory. Pops up just about every generation.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 10:48 am
GOP opposition sinks UN disability rights treaty; a frail Bob Dole makes Senate appearance

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Led by Republican opposition, the Senate on Tuesday rejected a United Nations treaty on the rights of the disabled that is modeled after the landmark Americans with Disabilities Act.

With 38 Republicans casting “no” votes, the 61-38 vote fell five short of the two-thirds majority needed to ratify a treaty. The vote took place in an unusually solemn atmosphere, with senators sitting at their desks rather than milling around the podium. Former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole, looking frail and in a wheelchair, was in the chamber to support the treaty.

The treaty, already signed by 155 nations and ratified by 126 countries, including Britain, France, Germany, China and Russia, states that nations should strive to assure that the disabled enjoy the same rights and fundamental freedoms as their fellow citizens. Republicans objected to taking up a treaty during the lame-duck session of the Congress and warned that the treaty could pose a threat to U.S. national sovereignty.

“I do not support the cumbersome regulations and potentially overzealous international organizations with anti-American biases that infringe upon American society,” said Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Okla.

He and other opponents were not swayed by support for the treaty from some of the GOP’s prominent veterans, including the 89-year-old Dole, who was disabled during World War II; Sen. John McCain, who also suffered disabling injuries in Vietnam; Sen. Dick Lugar, the top Republican on the Foreign Relations Committee; and former Attorney General Dick Thornburgh. Eight Republicans voted to approve the treaty.

The treaty also was widely backed by the disabilities community and veterans groups.

White House press secretary Jay Carney called the vote disappointing and noted that President Barack Obama had declared, in a written statement read in tribute to Dole just before the vote, that “disability rights should not stop at our nation’s shores.”

Carney said the White House hopes the treaty can be reconsidered in the next Congress.

Democratic support for the convention was led by Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Sen. John Kerry, Senate Democratic Whip Dick Durbin, D-Ill., and Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, one of the key players in writing the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act.

“It really isn’t controversial,” Kerry, D-Mass., said. “What this treaty says is very simple. It just says that you can’t discriminate against the disabled. It says that other countries have to do what we did 22 years ago when we set the example for the world and passed the Americans with Disabilities Act.”

In a statement after the vote, Kerry said it was “one of the saddest days I’ve seen in almost 28 years in the Senate and it needs to be a wake-up call about a broken institution that’s letting down the American people.”

The ADA put the United States in the forefront of efforts to secure equal rights for the disabled, and it became the blueprint for the U.N. treaty, formally the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. The treaty was negotiated by the George W. Bush administration. It was completed in 2006 and Obama signed it in 2009.
sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 10:52 am
@revelette,
Yeah, I'm catching up on this, Gail Collins' column today was good:

Quote:
The rejected treaty, the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, is based on the Americans with Disabilities Act, the landmark law Dole co-sponsored. So, as Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts kept pointing out during the debate, this is a treaty to make the rest of the world behave more like the United States. But Santorum was upset about a section on children with disabilities that said: “The best interests of the child shall be a primary consideration.”

“This is a direct assault on us and our family!” he said at a press conference in Washington.

O.K.

The hard right has a thing about the United Nations. You may remember that the senator-elect from Texas, Ted Cruz, once railed that a 20-year-old nonbinding United Nations plan for sustainable development posed a clear and present threat to American golf courses.

The theory about the treaty on the disabled is that the bit about “best interests of the child” could be translated into laws prohibiting disabled children from being home-schooled. At his press conference, Santorum acknowledged that wasn’t in the cards. But he theorized that someone might use the treaty in a lawsuit “and through the court system begin to deny parents the right to raise their children in conformity with what they believe.”

If I felt you were actually going to worry about this, I would tell you that the Senate committee that approved the treaty included language specifically forbidding its use in court suits.

That's an excerpt, the whole thing is good:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/opinion/collins-santorum-strikes-again.html

Stupid Santorum.
0 Replies