JPB

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2012 05:58 pm
@spendius,
Huh?
Rockhead

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2012 05:59 pm
@JPB,
it's about drunk-thirty in the uk right now...
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2012 09:48 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
“We know that going to church is good for you, it’s good for your health.

It's perfect for people who love to live in la la land. No thinking necessary.
JPB

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 04:09 pm
He'll probably get elected.

Quote:
Rep. Todd Akin, the Republican nominee for Senate in Missouri, doesn't think abortion in the case of rape is really an issue. That's because he has it on good authority that women don't get pregnant from "legitimate rape" anyway. Read it and weep
roger

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 04:12 pm
@JPB,
If he went to school in Missouri, that's probably where he learned his biology.
JPB

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 04:16 pm
@roger,
He's currently +5 in the polls.
JPB

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 07:17 pm
@JPB,
A FB friend from MO says he's extremely popular and she's sure he'll be elected.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 12:03 pm
More Chick-fil-a dollars at work...

Quote:
TAMPA, Florida — Tony Perkins, the president of the conservative Family Research Council, stood by embattled Missouri Rep. Todd Akin a day after he claimed that "legitimate rape" doesn't result in pregnancies, sparking a national furor.

"We support him fully and completely," said FRC Action PAC president Connie Mackey.

Perkins and Mackey expressed support for Akin in the face of what they called "gotcha politics," issuing a stern warning to Republicans — including Massachusetts Sen. Scott Brown — against criticizing Akin.

"We feel this is a case of gotcha politics," Mackey told reporters outside of the Republican National Committee's platform committee discussions. "He has been elected five times in that community in Missouri. They know who Todd Akin is. We know who Todd Akin is. We’ve worked with him up on the Hill. He’s a defender of life. He’s a defender of families and this just a controversy built up, I think, it looks as though, to support his opposition. Claire Mccaskill on the other hand, has supported planned parenthood all these years, which is under investigation for use of funds, for cover up on statuatory rape and I think that Todd Akin is getting a really bad break here."Link
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 12:27 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Quote:

“We know that going to church is good for you, it’s good for your health.

I presume the "we know" means that there have been surveys commissioned by actuaries which show that church going has positive correlations with longevity and lower demands on health care.

You should call the guy out on that rather than blurting out nonsensical assertions of a startlingly unoriginal nature. Ask him how he knows. Otherwise you're just playing to the gallery which you must think pretty stupid to think they might believe you have said anything of significance.

You could just as easy say the same thing about Mr Obama's/Mr Romney's economic policy.

I think it is true and especially if the medical profession's strenuous attentions are ignored. But I have an open mind. Contradict the guy with proper peer-reviewing and I will listen. I'm as interested in longevity and fewer contacts with treatment systems as anybody.
JTT

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 06:56 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
You could just as easy say the same thing about Mr Obama's/Mr Romney's economic policy.

0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 12:06 pm
Lubbock Co. Judge warns of potential danger if Obama is re-elected

Quote:
Lubbock County Judge Tom Head and Commissioner Mark Heinrich went into great detail Monday night on FOX 34 News @ Nine about why it is necessary to raise the tax rate by 1.7 cents the next fiscal year.

An across-the-board pay increase is needed for the attorneys on the DA's staff to keep them from being poached by higher-paying counties, and the sheriff needs to expand his staff by seven deputies to reduce call response times, minimize officer fatigue and reduce the turnaround time for investigations.

Judge Head said he and the county must be prepared for many contingencies, one that he particularly fears, is if President Obama is reelected.

“He's going to try to hand over the sovereignty of the United States to the UN, and what is going to happen when that happens?,” Head asked.

“I'm thinking the worst. Civil unrest, civil disobedience, civil war maybe. And we're not just talking a few riots here and demonstrations, we're talking Lexington, Concord, take up arms and get rid of the guy.

"Now what's going to happen if we do that, if the public decides to do that? He's going to send in U.N. troops. I don't want 'em in Lubbock County. OK. So I'm going to stand in front of their armored personnel carrier and say 'you're not coming in here'.

"And the sheriff, I've already asked him, I said 'you gonna back me' he said, 'yeah, I'll back you'. Well, I don't want a bunch of rookies back there. I want trained, equipped, seasoned veteran officers to back me."

Whether you agree with the judge, or think his theories are unrealistic, the reality is a tax hike that will provide an additional $832,433 coupled with $2 million in cuts to make the numbers work.

You can sound off at two public hearings, Wednesday at 10 a.m. and Monday at 10a.m. Both hearings are at commissioner’s court.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 12:17 pm
@revelette,
oh, Judge Head needs more coverage. gotta love it.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 12:20 pm
@revelette,
Oh my...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 12:29 pm
@revelette,
I think the majority of them are crazy. What bothers me most is that their fear tactics seems to work.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 08:14 pm
@revelette,
As a liberal who lives uncomfortably close to Texas, I gotta hand it to this guy. He's managed to find a way to make raising taxes appeal to Tea Party folks. (Not an easy task.)
RABEL222

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 10:32 pm
@Eva,
Why do the screwballs get all the press?
Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 04:52 am
@RABEL222,
Jeeze, that's elementary commercial journalism. As the old saying goes, dog bites man, ho-hum, man bites dog, now that's news!
Eva

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 09:52 am
@Setanta,
Exactly.

And for the same reason, this sort of guy isn't news in Texas.
Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 10:53 am
@Eva,
Yeah, well . . . in the land of the bind, the one-eyed man is king. It isn't news in Texas because it ain't unusual.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 10:06 pm
they are cutting texas school budgets to the bone, but...

Texas school installs $750,000 Jumbotron, largest in prep sports

"For $750,000, the Carthage screen better be the Cadillac of the sector. As one might expect, the amount of money that the Carthage Independent School District spent on the screen has come under fire, with critics pointing out all the other, more academic ways the funds could have been spent in the district...."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/texas-school-installs-750-000-jumbotron-largest-prep-103931861.html

it's all about priorities...