Are there are no heroes in our world?

parados

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 01:58 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:

So, what, exactly, are we talking about here?

I think we are just here to feed Rorshach's needs. We certainly aren't talking about anything that has meaning.
JTT

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 01:59 pm
@parados,
Quote:
We certainly aren't talking about anything that has meaning.

So you have found a home, Parados.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 01:59 pm
@parados,
Good point.
JTT

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 02:00 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
And Merry rushes over to your house. Smile
0 Replies

Rorschach

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 02:02 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

To a great extent, the very concept of a "hero" is a literary convention rather than a philosophic concept. In ancient Greece, the earliest "heroes" were actually gods or demi-gods; no mortal could be expected to be that perfect all the time. The word "hero" did not come into English until 1387 . If we accept the classical definition of a hero as a virtually perfect specimen of the human race, it becomes obvious that there can be no such a thing as a hero in real life.

Fair lables.
Society picks the most notable, best , interesting, etc. as heroes. By such media and social definition, we are all heroes to a certain extent. Which is clearly pathetic, and there is no realism to it.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 02:04 pm
It seems Rorschach is making a little pseudo tour en passant on how linear most concepts can be, voila...how informative !
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 02:08 pm
If there are two choices on how to act, and the first requires you sacrifice something so that many others benefit from it, and the second requires no sacrifice, but instead brings great awards to you and only you... In that case, the first choice would be the heroic one, while the second would be the... what's the word... normal one.
Kind of depressing to think about how we've made a society where selfishness is the norm, and where selflessness is seen as some kind of unattainable ideal....
0 Replies

Rorschach

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 02:13 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I'm just pointing out the truth.
Another problem is morality under difficult circumstances. What is a moral action to one is an evil action to another. So it is not me who is being linear, I'm just pointing out the intricately combined parts and standards, that makes a hero a hero, as a matter of fact.
parados

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 02:16 pm
@Rorschach,
You continue to apply your misinterpretation to everyone else. Get over yourself. We don't use your definition. For that matter, I don't rely on the media for my definitions either.
JTT

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 02:18 pm
@parados,
Quote:
For that matter, I don't rely on the media for my definitions either.

Parados relies on his government which broadcasts its definitions through the media.
parados

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 02:20 pm
@Rorschach,
Rorschach wrote:

I'm just pointing out the truth.
Another problem is morality under difficult circumstances. What is a moral action to one is an evil action to another. So it is not me who is being linear, I'm just pointing out the intricately combined parts and standards, that makes a hero a hero, as a matter of fact.

And what some think is a logical argument others think is merely a series of logical fallacies. You are doing more to disprove your argument than anything else. Heroes are in the eye of the beholder. There is no standard you can create that will apply universally to everyone.
parados

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 02:21 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
For that matter, I don't rely on the media for my definitions either.

Parados relies on his government which broadcasts its definitions through the media.

Perhaps someday you will grow up JTT. Your childish comments are just that - childish. The world is far more complicated than what your simple mind sees.
0 Replies

Rorschach

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 02:21 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:

I think we are just here to feed Rorshach's needs. We certainly aren't talking about anything that has meaning.

So for you, relativism seems to be something that’s used when convenient, disregarded when it’s not.
Interesting.
parados

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 02:22 pm
@Rorschach,
Which relativism are you speaking about?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 02:24 pm
@Rorschach,
Who said I am addressing morality under difficult circumstances, eh ? That's yet another side turn on the subject...a hero belongs to a group, to a culture, and to a system of beliefs, so what ?...actually you would be far more original going on about explaining why such imagetics are necessary and useful in society since people and story telling exist...not that you seamed to spare a farty thought on the matter let me tell you...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 02:33 pm
...sure dude I read you all right...in resume you haven't **** to talk about...have fun entertaining the guests, I am off...
0 Replies

Rorschach

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 02:59 pm
@parados,
I could care less, if Hitler or Alexander the great were called heroes by respective people of a certain group with a set of weird belief system.

I'm not creating a standard. I'm suggesting from my experiences, that I hold a belief. I believe that heroes don't exist in real life. I created this thread to know what people's opinion were on the matter, and if my belief on the matter needed to be changed. None of you have given me a good enough argument to change my beliefs. So heroes don't exist in my world. That's fine by me.
JTT

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 03:29 pm
@parados,
You are about to be paradosed, Rorschach. He's begun to ask his niggling, inane questions so that he never has to discuss anything in any detail. It's his favorite trick.
parados

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 03:58 pm
@Rorschach,
As long as one holds a subjective belief that doesn't allow for anything outside that belief to question it, they will always hold that belief.

You have simply defined hero to match your belief. You have then simply ignored any outside statement that says your definition is flawed. You will therefore always hold your belief.
parados

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 04:00 pm
@JTT,
Wow JTT. Has the Canadian health care system failed to provide you with your meds?
0 Replies