I'M AN ATHEIST, AND . . . SO ARE YOU . . .

jespah

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 04:43 am
@Setanta,
So you dunk them religiously? Are you catholic in your tastes?
Setanta

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 04:55 am
More Rastafarina . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 05:22 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The Shrub . . .

I dunk oreos and hydrox, as a part of a religious ritual . . .

. . . so to speak . . .

Yes, yes.....but which end of the egg do you open first?
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 05:23 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Well, I carefully read what Lustig wrote and I thought "Wow, I never thought about it that way." but I wasn't sure I really understood so I called the dogs over and asked them to read it.

Sophie, she's the boxer, leaned on her elbows to get closer to the monitor.
"You're blocking my view!" said Whino.
He's the big setter we found last year wandering around the park wearing a blue cloth collar. Nobody ever claimed him.
"Shut up." growled Sophie. "I'm trying to read this."
Her eyes aren't as good as they used to be.
Both dogs read for awhile, then Whino went over to the water bowl and took a long splash filled drink.
Sophie looked at me.
"What it is, girl?" I asked.
"Well," she took a breath, she does that when she has something important to say, "He looks like a nice dog, but I'm afraid he's bought into that whole 'limits' thing."

Did I mention that both dogs think everybody is some sort of dog. I know, it's a charming universalistic way of looking at the world. I didn't teach them, they thought of it themselves, besides I think they may be right.

"I was going to say the same thing." chimed in Whino, "and what scientists has he been reading? Man as the top of the food chain? PPhhffft. Man as the right dog for operating the can opener, maybe, but nobody I've read thinks anything on this planet is the top of anything. I mean, just look out there."

Sophie punched around on the keyboard and brought up the NASA site with the latest images. I scratched her behind her left ear. "I wonder if they have finished reviewing your article on p-brane spatial extensions."
"I doubt it. " said Whino, "it took me almost two days to read it and I wrote half of it."
"Shut up." barked Sophie, "Bad dog."

Joe(from the bone-shaped Universe- Letter T.)Nation
Setanta

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 05:48 am
@dlowan,
I am a big endian, and proud of it, too. Dog vouchsafed a revelation to me . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 05:50 am
@Joe Nation,
We feed them, obviously Whino is right, they are the top of the food chain . . .
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 06:02 am
@Setanta,
At least on this planet....

Joe(yummiemaster)Nation
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 06:36 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

We feed them, obviously Whino is right, they are the top of the food chain . . .

Cats rule....dogs drool.
dlowan

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 06:37 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

He can be catholic as long as he isn't Catholic.
mismi

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 06:42 am
@jespah,
Quote:

Sounds baptist to me.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 06:57 am
@dlowan,
I believe we could say he is in recovery.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 07:05 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
. . . dogs drool.

Yes . . . you wanna go with your strong suit . . .
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 09:58 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote: "Yes . . . you wanna go with your strong suit . . ."

Why would you want to burden anyone with a "strong suit"? Aren't they too heavy for dogs, cats, horses, or people these days? Do you want them to end up like the ancients?

In the earliest days of warfare, soldiers used layers of skins and hides as protective gear, followed by wooden shields. With the dawn of the Bronze Age, metal armor came into widespread use. The Greek hoplite forces went into battle with bronze helmets, shields and breastplates, but the added protection came at a price. Helmets fit poorly and impaired vision, while the 30- to 40-pound breastplates caused troops to sweat profusely. Many would collapse from dehydration.

BBB
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 10:03 am
However, disciplined, close formations made them nearly invincible against enemies from other cultures. With peltasts to cover their flanks and harrass the enemy, they were only ever defeated by Philip's Macedonians and the Romans--both of whom had equivalent discipline, and in the cases of the Romans, a superior tactical doctine.

Now lets get back to the subject (or lack thereof) of the thread.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 12:39 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

My most humble apologies, Foofie, I was, of course, completely out of line by my ignorant truncation of your most esteemed name.
I can only say that I was swept away by the moment.
and
I am, after-all, only a pathetic, unwashed Connecticut Yankee.

It shall never happen again.

Joe(unless I have this second glass of wine)Nation

Joe (changes his persona between parenthesis) Nation, well I would be impressed if your family reflected the early Calvinists, now often Congregationalists. How do you tolerate Sodom and Gemorrah after growing up in New England?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 12:44 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Foofie wrote:

You get to watch Seinfeld in Australia?

Wash yore mouf out wit sope!

Wotchew think wees is? Hillbillies?!!!!

No. But, I did not think that the Seinfeld brand of humor would necessarily be appreciated in Australia, since the Seinfeld brand of humor is not appreciated in all regions of the U.S. Some people in the U.S. just say they cannot see anything funny in a Seinfeld episode. It is just silly to some people.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 12:50 pm
@Joe Nation,
Am I correct you watched the city dogs show on channel 2 last night? I think it will be a hit, since it really gave credence to the love many people have for their dog(s), as part of their lives. It was also nice to see Madison Park, Carl Schurz Park, Riverside Park, as scenes in the program.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 02:58 pm
@Foofie,
I watched about four minutes of it while waiting for a file to download. The guy was going to try to get a fat guy to pay more attention to his wife than his equally fat bulldog. Hmmm. Marriage Therapy makes for wagging tails??

<click>
Hmmmm. You gots no profile, Foofie, and I have not had enough interaction with you to know if you are still within the confines of this asylum, but the longing in your voice tells me you are an escapee.

I am here in New York voluntarily. If there is a spot in this fair city you would like to see let me know. I will race over to the area and snap away with my iPhone.
~~
I don't know why anybody would have a dog in NYC or a car. You have to walk one of them twice a day and re-park the other twice a week. I hardly have time to lay down twice a week.

Joe(No one outside the UES knows Carl Schurz Park)Nation

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 02:59 pm
Erm....and gods are imaginary fig newtons of the mind.

Joe(there. back on topic)Nation
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 04:01 pm
**** off to go **** all over some other thread, Foof, you blithering idiot.