Cell phone question for men.

roger

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 01:19 pm
How do you carry the damn thing without losing it? I had several near loses with the last one with both pocket and carrying case. Ultimately, it's gone and replaced.

chai2

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 01:29 pm
You need a satchel.

Then you can be like Indiana Jones and Alan.

http://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/049/Purple/2f/4d/e1/mzl.pmumqmld.320x480-75.jpg
roger

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 01:33 pm
@chai2,
You mean a "man bag"? Actually, I had a similar thought. Then I thought about the replacement cost of phone and bag. Anyhow, the idea was rejected, and I admit style entered into the decision.
Reyn

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 01:38 pm
@roger,
I don't have that stress, since I do not have a cell phone.

There are a few of us around still. Wink
roger

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 01:45 pm
@Reyn,
You describe me, till a few months ago when the cell became a necessity. You simply do not understand the joys involved in learning how to use the man made devices, not least of which is in setting up a contact list.

Tip: If you ever get one and try to place a call, the absence of a dial tone does not mean it isn't working. It just means that five year old kids are a lot smarter than you.
EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 01:55 pm
I keep it in my pocket and wear a headset all day.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg801/scaled.php?server=801&filename=anthonyj.jpg&res=medium
Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 01:55 pm
@roger,
Ah come on - you would look very sexy, manly and hot with a man bag.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 02:03 pm
iPhone4: I put it in my front pants pocket.

or when running
http://di1-3.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/81/7e/e3/104918573-450x450-0-0_Eforcity+Gym+Running+Sport+Armband+Case+for+iPhone.jpg

Joe(very comfy)Nation
roger

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 02:16 pm
@EqualityFLSTPete,
Never mind the headset. I don't make that much use of the thing, but about the pocket. . . . I tried that, and twice stood up, only to see the phone in the middle of the seat. It's small, slick, and has beautifully rounded edges. In other words, a world class design if the objective were to create something intended to slip out when seated.

Once, the carrying case dropped to the ground. I can only assume that I only thought I had it properly attached to the belt. I can also only assume that I would do the same thing again.

Oh, the final mishap involved reaching for the phone, only to come up with an empty case. This, I don't understand, as it has a very secure seeming magnetic flap.

Personally, pockets sound ideal for me, except for that one little problem. What would probably work is a small, rough side out leather case. Best if it added a tacky surface without being bulky.

Replacement cost was inconvenient, set up and replacing the contact list was annoying. I have more serious concerns that someone else is in possession of my contacts. This is a Tracphone with prepaid minutes, so I was able to transfer the prepaid airtime to my new phone. I don't know if they were able to kill the phone or not.
roger

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 02:18 pm
@Joe Nation,
Looks bulky, but if it works, it works. I'll have to browse Amazon or something and see what's out there for my phone, which, trust me is small and dumb.

Thanks for the idea.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 02:21 pm
@roger,
Don't worry roger, you'll not only get used to having your cell with you all the time, and even get to the point where you'd no sooner not have it with you than your wallet, keys, etc.

I think Wally carries his in his front pocket, like Joe.

I'm not a social talker on the phone, so that's not a big deal for me. Since I'm looking for a job, it's good to have your phone with you, not just for someone calling your for an interview, but you can check in with the temp agencies about work, or they can reach you immediately when something comes up.

I also like knowing I can reach my husband, or he me, at any time.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 02:22 pm
@Joe Nation,
Isn't that supposed to lower and slow down your sperm...
roger

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 02:23 pm
@Linkat,
What are you, some kind of nut. Who counts sperm?

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 02:30 pm
@roger,
Most of the time, my cellphone remains in my car for use in emergencies. When I travel abroad, I may take it with me if my first returning airport is within the US to call my wife. As you can see, I don't use my cellphone (or landline) all that much. The "use" of my computer is something else all together.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 02:33 pm
@roger,
I think I have a cellphone holder with a clip for a belt or trousers. If you want it, send me your mailing address; it's gratis, and I'll pay postage.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 02:36 pm
@roger,
sperm counters
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 02:37 pm
@roger,
Since I am rarely ever in danger of losing my car or truck, I keep the cell phone in a vehicle. NOONE needs constant cintact. When I hd a surveyor working for me on a claims project in N North Carolina, the sumbitch was always checking his screen or taking idiotic calls. He fucked up one of my claims marks and I asked him if I could borrow his phone. He gave me his phone and I flung that sucker about half a mile into creek. I told him to put the preplacement on his contract cause he was already late with my maps.
Fuckin people who are sutured to their phones need to get a real life. Every phone has a message board that you can inspect when your eating lunch or otherwise on a coffee break .

I will not be on the receiving end of half of someones attention. Nobody multitasks well, I have yet to meet that person and engireers and scientists are the worst at it.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 02:37 pm
@Linkat,
Well, I could put it lower, but I'd have to get a bigger strap.

Joe(except on really cold days)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 02:47 pm
@farmerman,
NPR this morning was reporting on a group of doctors making rounds. They decided to end one patient's use of a blood thinner. One of the doctors began to enter the change of therapy into her smartphone when -binggg- she got an invitation to a party.
Yea!
She go so busy RSVPing that she didn't finish the prescription change.
Patient very nearly died.

I am not sure humans can multi-task. We might be able to in about fifty years. By then we (well, I'll be dead, but the rest of ya'll) have our com-gear embedded in our heads, just behind our right audio receiving implement. (iEar). Written communication will be sent directly to our brains.

Joe(something just flashed before my eyes, I thought it was my life, but it was just the early edition of the New York Times)Nation
farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 03:36 pm
@Joe Nation,
Implants will , of necessity, have some pain feedback doohicky that responds with a gentle (but painful) correction to any mistake thats made in multi-tasking.

0 Replies