Cell phone question for men.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 03:37 pm
@roger,
lab techs... (hi, linkat!)

On the phone thing, when I got my cellphone at sprint a bunch of years ago, there was a wall display of possible things to go with it/them, including carrier stuff.
Do you have a nearby Staples? there might be something that would work there.

I have a couple of items I've used for long walks and taking a long an i.d., key, and a little money. I don't know what they're called. One is small leather envelope with a long leather neck string, and another is something similar in a woven cloth, cord neck string. Especially the second would be hard to lose something from as its rectangular shape keeps the phone weighing towards the bottom. It's thin enough to put under a sweater, jacket, in cool weather. Probably would look stupid on a guy in august here, or I'd give you mine.

Which brings up travel stores. They have all sorts of fascinating pockety gizmos, not all of them costly.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 03:53 pm
@ossobuco,
I just looked at the second envelope like carrier thing and see it's made in Guatemala. So maybe I can find a photo online. If I can and you like it, it's yours.
On further look, it wouldn't look that silly in August on a guy.
chai2

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 03:53 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Since I am rarely ever in danger of losing my car or truck, I keep the cell phone in a vehicle. NOONE needs constant cintact. When I hd a surveyor working for me on a claims project in N North Carolina, the sumbitch was always checking his screen or taking idiotic calls. He fucked up one of my claims marks and I asked him if I could borrow his phone. He gave me his phone and I flung that sucker about half a mile into creek. I told him to put the preplacement on his contract cause he was already late with my maps.
Fuckin people who are sutured to their phones need to get a real life. Every phone has a message board that you can inspect when your eating lunch or otherwise on a coffee break .

I will not be on the receiving end of half of someones attention.

Great story. I have wanted to do that to a number of people.

If you keep it in your vehicle, could the heat of the summer harm it?

The last sentence that I highlighted and enlarged....oh yeah.

Re not just cell phone, but land lines, I think call waiting is the ABSOLUTE rudest function a phone can have.

Unless you're on the top of the list for an organ donation there are few reasons why I think you need call waiting.

All it does is tell the person you're talking to that any random call that is coming in is more important than them.
I don't care if it's your kid, or your boss or whoever. They can call back.
If you're that worried it's your child having some disaster, put them in a protective bubble where you can keep them secure 24/7.
If you're expecting a call, and someone else calls first, explain to them your situation, and you'll call them back when you're free.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 04:02 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, that was easy, and they call it a cell phone carry bag -

Mine's better looking, mostly black with a bit of red, and a bit smaller than the description:

http://www.luciasimports.com/images/uploads/new/Fall%202011/A-6D.JPG

http://www.luciasimports.com/Coin-Bags-and-Passports/Comalapa-Cell-Phone/prod_260.html
cicerone imposter

@chai2,
I have my morning coffee at McDonalds almost every morning, and 3 out of 7 times, somebody on a cellphone will be talking at the top of their lungs.

They should make cellphones illegal like smoking in restaurants.
Rockhead

@roger,
I think you should opt for the man purse AND the headset, myself.

think how much space you would get in crowds...

I used to have a case that threaded my belt. that worked well, but the phone took lots of abuse.

my current ancient flip phone just lives in a pocket.

I took the insurance off of it, so now I make sure I feel it always...
0 Replies

ossobuco

@chai2,
Totally agree re call waiting.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 04:04 pm
@ossobuco,
I like those carriers. I just blew out the lining on one - I'm too rough on them. My next one will be leather or some industrial nylon fibre.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 04:16 pm
@ehBeth,
And.. I use the carrier thing hanging from a pushpin near an outlet to keep my cell phone tucked in when home. Have alternate things I could use for that, though.

My cell is old and heavy, not apt to fly away, and I just put it in my pocket or purse when go out.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 04:36 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

farmerman wrote:

Since I am rarely ever in danger of losing my car or truck, I keep the cell phone in a vehicle. NOONE needs constant cintact. When I hd a surveyor working for me on a claims project in N North Carolina, the sumbitch was always checking his screen or taking idiotic calls. He fucked up one of my claims marks and I asked him if I could borrow his phone. He gave me his phone and I flung that sucker about half a mile into creek. I told him to put the preplacement on his contract cause he was already late with my maps.
Fuckin people who are sutured to their phones need to get a real life. Every phone has a message board that you can inspect when your eating lunch or otherwise on a coffee break .

I will not be on the receiving end of half of someones attention.

Great story. I have wanted to do that to a number of people.

If you keep it in your vehicle, could the heat of the summer harm it?

The last sentence that I highlighted and enlarged....oh yeah.

Re not just cell phone, but land lines, I think call waiting is the ABSOLUTE rudest function a phone can have.

Unless you're on the top of the list for an organ donation there are few reasons why I think you need call waiting.

All it does is tell the person you're talking to that any random call that is coming in is more important than them.
I don't care if it's your kid, or your boss or whoever. They can call back.
If you're that worried it's your child having some disaster, put them in a protective bubble where you can keep them secure 24/7.
If you're expecting a call, and someone else calls first, explain to them your situation, and you'll call them back when you're free.

A lot of times, I just need to tell someone else 'okay, I'm down for the thing later, but I'm on the phone with my Mom right now and will call ya back.' Call waiting comes in pretty handy for that.

Great story by FM tho

Cycloptichorn
farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 04:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
before I bought the company, my old division boss used to call me in his office and give me all kinds of advice and what HE wanted done in certain projects (He hd not a clue). At the same time he was always doing his expenses. One day I told him to put his expenses away or I was leaving. He said"You will leave when I tell you you can leave". So I just got up and left, he wanted to have me fired but he didnt know I was in the process of buying out my division from the real owners
farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 04:52 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
My one partner keeps getting these lame calls from his wife. At first he would take them and then he realized that, when we were in meetings or out on jobs, his wife's calls were a distraction. He told his wife to not call unless its a real emergency (like a death) . Dhe hasnt talked to me in three years because she blames me for the request. (I didnt have anything to do with it but my partner os one of those guys who cannopt handle disputes) I guess my wizass attitude preceeded me.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 04:53 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

before I bought the company, my old division boss used to call me in his office and give me all kinds of advice and what HE wanted done in certain projects (He hd not a clue). At the same time he was always doing his expenses. One day I told him to put his expenses away or I was leaving. He said"You will leave when I tell you you can leave". So I just got up and left, he wanted to have me fired but he didnt know I was in the process of buying out my division from the real owners

You have significantly better work stories than I do lol.

I hope you bought out the division and then got rid of HIM.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 04:53 pm
@farmerman,
That's an even better story.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 04:56 pm
@roger,
Yes, sweet it is.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 05:28 pm
Most all of my pants and shorts have cargo pockets. This is a must now a days with the amount of crap I carry in my pockets. Keys, phone, wallet, change (no cash I'm married and the wife doesn't let me have cash), knife, lip balm, clear eyes and other such modern day things.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 05:35 pm
Roger - two words: Duct Tape.

Tape it to whatever works for ya, your wrist, your forehead, your abs...

Or buy one of those cell phone cords and connect it to that huge key ring hanging off your belt.

Or buy one of those hats with ear flaps, unstitch one and slip the phone in the pocket. You're good to go unless you bend over. So, don't bend over.

Or stick it in your shirt pocket behind the pen protector.

Or stick it in your coverall pocket and close it with velcro.

So many ideas, so many solutions. Get creative, bubba.

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 05:41 pm
@roger,
howsabout one of those nice fishing vests with 120,ooo pockets - some with zippers, some with velcro, some with buttons ... one of those pockets has to be safe (I vote for a pocket behind a zipper)
Rockhead

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 05:42 pm
@Mame,
I have one of those hats, roger.

I'll send it to you if you wish...

(you will have to modify the ear flap yourself)

good luck.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 05:48 pm
@Mame,
Duct tape
Ear flaps
Pen protector
Velcro on coverall pocket.

Is anyone out here beginning to wonder why the thread title is "Cell phone question for men?

I did seriously consider something like a key ring on a long cord, but there just aren't any attaching points. Could thread a ribbon through the phone when it's open and close the phone around the ribbon, but that isn't quite what I'm looking for, either.

I'm going to do a search on the company that made the one Joe Nation showed. If they have one without the strap, I might be home free.

P.S. Did you happen to notice that I don't wear keys on my belt, or pen protectors in my pockets?