Cell phone question for men.

chai2

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 06:27 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

When my job obliged me to carry a cell phone, i went through the process i went through years ago with my key ring. I can't leave the house without checking for my key ring--i check before i go out the door, i check just before i close the door, which will lock it, i check as i walk down the porch steps, i check obsessively. I did the same thing with my phone, i became obsessive about assuring myself that i had my phone in my possession.

If i didn't do things like that, not only would i lock myself out of the house and lose my phone, i'd probably forget to put pants on before i left the house, and lose the jeep the first time i parked it.

I do this to, and was going to suggest this to roger, but I thought it was more of a woman thing.

Whenever I'm leaving somewhere, not just my house, I automatically do a pat down, meaning making sure my keys are in my hand, my cell is in it's side pocket on my small bag, and I quicky open the bag to make sure my main credit card is in its slot.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 06:49 pm
I carry a flat extra car key in my wallet, so if I lock my keys in my car or lose them, at least I can get home. There was the time I went on a Boy Scout camping trip with my dad, in early winter in Michigan, with a very ineffective sleeping bag, when I sat in the car with the heater running for half an hour to warm up after a night in the bag, and got out and locked the keys in the car with the engine running. He wasn't pleased. He had to hitchhike 40 miles home to get his spare keys. Always carry a spare car key.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 07:36 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
I carry a flat extra car key in my wallet, so if I lock my keys in my car or lose them, at least I can get home. There was the time I went on a Boy Scout camping trip with my dad, in early winter in Michigan, with a very ineffective sleeping bag, when I sat in the car with the heater running for half an hour to warm up after a night in the bag, and got out and locked the keys in the car with the engine running. He wasn't pleased. He had to hitchhike 40 miles home to get his spare keys.
I 'd have smashed the window n sprung for a glazier.

MontereyJack wrote:
Always carry a spare car key.
My "sartorial desiderata" r the specifications of the identical architecture of all of my suits.
Included therein, is a pocket sewn inside each of my vests, on my left,
for a packet of spare keys of everything I might need and enuf spare cash.

David
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 07:38 pm
Quote:

me too.

Joe(°•°)Nation
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 07:47 pm
@chai2,
Setanta wrote:
When my job obliged me to carry a cell phone, i went through the process i went through years ago with my key ring. I can't leave the house without checking for my key ring--i check before i go out the door, i check just before i close the door, which will lock it, i check as i walk down the porch steps, i check obsessively. I did the same thing with my phone, i became obsessive about assuring myself that i had my phone in my possession.

If i didn't do things like that, not only would i lock myself out of the house and lose my phone, i'd probably forget to put pants on before i left the house, and lose the jeep the first time i parked it.
chai2 wrote:
I do this to, and was going to suggest this to roger, but I thought it was more of a woman thing.

Whenever I'm leaving somewhere, not just my house, I automatically do a pat down, meaning making sure my keys are in my hand, my cell is in it's side pocket on my small bag, and I quicky open the bag to make sure my main credit card is in its slot.
One of the last things that my mom advised me to do
was before I leave home, always to check
to make sure that I have my keys and other necessities.
So before passing thru the door, I always check my keys, guns,
cell fone, wallet n credit cards.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 07:49 pm
@Joe Nation,
DAVID wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:

me too.

Joe(°•°)Nation
U r a man of rare wisdom.

David
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 10:23 pm
@MontereyJack,
Ours was that way too. I think I'll just call it disorganized.

My neighbor found the best cat litter pan I had ever seen, last summer. It was at Big Lots, but same idea. Anyway, it had high sides, sturdy as all get out, and with a cut out on the wide end. Easy access, but when the kids started scratching around, they were always properly oriented with the high, narrow ends. By the time I noticed what she had, their people couldn't even remember where it used to be.

In fact, it was some kind of storage box.

Lower prices are definately not the only reason I shop internet.
0 Replies

zackddog

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 07:21 pm
@roger,
Have you considered NOT carrying a phone? Looks to me as if they are more trouble than they are truly worth to you.

Or you can get yourself a watchman's retractable key chain fob and attach that to your phone's carrying case.

Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2012 08:03 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
my old "mid life crisis" cars were easy to break into , or else I could carry a spare key tucked into one of the metal trim panels (they were always available for purchase and cheap too). My trucks and my old jeep also have places where a magnetic key holder can be safely kept without jarring loose. HOWEVER, the new cars, my Escape and Mrs F has an Audi, use these damned computerized keys that cannt be duplicated without the internal circuit that trips the motion sensors. We took a ferry ride on the Lewes Ferry two years ago and mamas Audi went ballistic in the hold because the seas were angry that day my friend. We kept getting paged to shut the damn thing off.
CAr keys are all going that way.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 12:12 pm
@farmerman,
At least they stuck with keys.....a few years ago a girlfriend of mine bought a car with no keys.. ( I forget what it was) You punched in a five digit code to get in (nice keyboard thing on the door) and then you did it again to start the thing. (another keyboard on the dash to the right of the steering wheel maybe)
ANY WAY
worked great.....
Until the first Oklahoma ice storm arrives and coated that maroon two door with about 3/8 of an inch of ice.
Scrape ice off.
Punch code
nothing.

Do again.......... nothing doing.
Take her to work in my car.
She calls the dealer from her job.
He says "Just wait until this afternoon .... ." WTF!

We did get it to start the next day and the dealer was still like "Hey, keep it in a garage."
and I asked " Are all of your workers' cars parked inside this place??"
"No" says he.
"Then what's to prevent the ice storm from coming in the middle of the day when her car is in the fricking parking lot at her work??"

We waited for warmer weather and got rid of that thing.

~~
Another friend had the same car and made the mistake of using his girlfriend's birthday for the code. Then they broke up and he had to explain to his new girlfriend why she, in her words, had to learn" that other bitch's birthday just to get into his car."

Joe(technology)Nation

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 12:17 pm
@Joe Nation,
yep I was looking at cars this weekend and there are many that do not have "keys" any longer.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 12:19 pm
@Linkat,
The current girlfriend's car opens/locks with a clicker OR a key.

Joe(no punching)Nation
Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 12:24 pm
@Joe Nation,
I am not sure exactly how it works - you click to get in and then you have a "key" sort of thing that needs to be nearby and you press a button to start the car. I didn't like it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 11:40 pm
@zackddog,
I was in complete agreement with you till an unpleasant situation necessitated one of the gosh darn things. #1 had no manual volumn control, #2 was lost, and #3 just got installed in its new little case.

Functional pay phones are no longer available at the neighborhood bodega. The few you do find often don't work. The world is changing zackddog, and I don't like it at all. Doesn't mean I can't adapt when needed.
0 Replies