Carlie Found

hobitbob

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 06:40 pm
With a nice viniagrette, they aren't bad. Wink
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 06:47 pm
Well, folks. Regardless of how we feel, it's good to talk about it. I don't usually argue on A2K, but I do have a viewpoint.

Au, my dad was of the same mindset that you are. That's why I never told him anything.

Goodnight from Florida, and may we always be able to speak our minds, whether we confuse each other or not.
0 Replies

Johnny Z

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:49 pm
As a lifelong Police Officer and a parent of 3 beautiful children I have to say that that a TOTAL PIECE OF $HIT LIKE THIS GUY HAS EARNED A SLOOOOOOW GRUESOME DEATH that I would love to be the administrator of. The law is a neccesary thing for sure but with crimes of this nature ALL BETS ARE OFF. Traet animals like they are. You philthy pice of $hit!! I hope your ahole bleeds in jail.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 11:41 pm
I didn't think he looked much like the guy in the video either, but I guess they also have a video of the suspects car driving through the parking lot as well and the have found Carlie's DNA in the bastards car. The man obviously told someone what he had done and where the body was, which is what lead to the police finding the body. This guy is not going to walk by any means. I also am against capital punishment for a few reasons with one of those reasons being that it's an easy way out. I just assume the rat bastard rot in jail being tortured daily by inmates who hate this sort of scum. Let them have their daily way with the son of a bitch for the rest of his life.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 11:44 pm
Welcome to A2K Johnny Z. If I was for capital punishment and there was no doubt to the party being guilty, then this would be my prefered punishment as well ;-)

CJ
Your way is good too ;-)
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 11:53 pm
What Montana said!!!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 08:29 am
Good morning, all.

Johnny Z, welcome to the forum. Here's the latest update:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/02/06/missing.girl/index.html

It seems that most of you agree that a slow tortuous death would be in order for Smith if he is found guilty. Stop and think about that a minute.

When I posted this thread, I was most concerned with Carlie. That child had her life before her, and now--nothing.

Having sat on two juries, I am aware of how confusing things can be, and how necessary it is NOT to let raw emotions govern the weighing of the evidence.

Do any of you remember the Sam Shepherd case? DNA tests later proved his innocence. What if he had been subject to capital punishment? As it was, his life was over and he never retrieved it.

Well, we'll just have to wait and see how things progress.
0 Replies

Johnny Z

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 08:40 am
It is frustrating seeing so many criminals slip through the cracks because of minor inconsistencies that fail to prove the prosecutors case "beyond a reasonable doubt". Bottom line is criminals often walk off with lighter sentences or no prosecution at all early in their criminal career. Its only when they build up to a horrific crime like this that everyone really takes notice. Criminals who commit a Felony (the highest grade of crime in any state) almost always have a history of other Felony grade charges that were either pled down to a misdemeanor(the mid level crimes) or worse yet dismissed. From what I recall this ahole had a kidnapping/unlawful restraint charge in 97 or 98 and it was either dismissed or pled down. While of course no one can predict the future, we always get a perfect hindsight view of what went wrong and how it could have been prevented. Quite frankly, most Magistrates and Judges need a reality check from the trenches. The well buffered " I'll stroll in at 9 or 9:30" Judge is not accountable to anyone and there is rarely any discipline for any inappropriate acts or decisions. Bottom line, society should have seen this guy coming.
0 Replies

Johnny Z

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 08:52 am
Letty, I am sure your not implying that because a small piece of "key evidence"(which it isnt) has not yet been found that there may be an innocent man charged here. The only real key evidence here is the body. DNA testing already has linked the Defendant to the Victim and you certainly can't ignore the accuracies in his statement and the obvious known location of the body. If it looks,walks and quacks like a duck..... Guess what?? Then it probably is"Beyond a reasonable doubt".
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 08:53 am
On that, Johnny, I think we all agree. The court system is indeed flawed, and whether judges are appointed or elected, they need to have been, at some time, in the trenches. Often, they are too far removed from the streets. It's the same with school administrators, or for that matter, any administrators.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 08:58 am
oops. You posted before I finished my last response.

Johnny, no. I am not implying anything. I just thought that an update might be in order. I have no idea why that back pack is so crucial.
0 Replies

Johnny Z

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 09:28 am
The only reason for the backpack I can think of is that the Police Dept wants to have a case without any holes whatsoever. Which in my line of work is a good thing. However a public statement from PD to the media should look to make this backpack appear insignifigant (as it really is) instead of giving a glimpse into waht might be viewed by the Defense Atty as a hole in the case. Defense Attys look for a small hole and then try to spread it open to cast doubt in a juries mind. I wouldn't have even mentioned it. Its a very high profile case for sure, and that Police Dept has to watch how everything is handled and may have to revisit their standard operating procedures for handling evidence and securing crime scenes if they are not well versed. Not to critique that Dept because I don't know them. But it happens in the biggest and best of Depts and sometimes on the most vital arrests. Remember OJ and the LAPD? How about NYCPD and Abner Louima?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 09:42 am
oh, I remember O.J. all right, but not Abner Louina; however, I see what you are saying about covering all bases.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 09:45 am
http://crime.about.com/library/blfiles/bllouima.htm
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:17 am
Thanks, Phoenix. I had difficulty following that time line. Wow! ..but I did get the general idea of why every piece of evidence is crucial. "..if it doesn't work for some of us, it doesn't work for all of us...".I liked that observation.
0 Replies

kjvtrue

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:50 am
That Judge whom let that sicko free, is a Democrat
0 Replies

kjvtrue

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:54 am
au1929 wrote:
They had the father of a girl that had been abducted and killed some time ago. His comment was the killer should meet old sparky and it should malfunction causing his head to explode. I heartily agree and that is why I hope that capital punishment is never banned in the US. Is it revenge? You bet.
I totally agree, this why we should re-elect our President.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:55 am
Whom let?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 11:04 am
kjvtrue
kjvtrue
Your comments are usually so ridiculous as to be comical. You continue to confuse and amuse Embarrassed . This is not a joke topic.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 11:10 am
nor is it a grammar topic, but I couldn't resist. Razz
0 Replies