Carlie Found

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 10:51 am
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=1&u=/ap/20040206/ap_on_re_us/abduction_filmed

Well, at least her family has closure. I watched the video of the abduction, and wonder why in the world that child didn't scream and fight.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,324 • Replies: 195
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 10:54 am
There was a program on child abduction yesterday on NPR--and a gentleman told of all the "lures" used. It is entirely possible that the perpetrator had some plausible story going which Carlie did not at first suspect. I've not seen the video--frankly, these things sicken me, so i've avoided watching it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 10:58 am
I didn't know anyhting about it until this thread. How horrible.

Some children have been indoctrinated with a "submit to authority" mindset that can contribute, regardless of specific techniques that were used by the predator.

Awful awful awful.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 11:13 am
This is so sad. I think her killer told her something like: her family was in danger and she needed to come with him. She acted hesitant instead of scared.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 11:15 am
Setanta, I know exactly how you feel about watching that sort of thing. When I watch the local news it seems that it's all bad.

Soz, I swear, It's difficult not to be over protective of one's children. We don't want to teach them fear, but we certainly don't want them to be the center of an Amber Alert, either.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 11:17 am
I know, colorbook. That was my feeling when I saw the video. I had truly hoped that it was a false alarm.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 03:12 pm
This just ties my stomache up in knots :-(
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 03:20 pm
Montana, I hear 'ya. Whether we have children or not, the situation is so deplorable.

I noticed that USA on tv is going to do a movie on Scott Peterson called The Perfect Husband. That case has gone on and on and on. I just wonder, looking at the other side, if it's a fair thing to do since it could compromise his defense. Rolling Eyes

The tattooed man obviously confessed to murdering Carlie, so there's no mystery there. It's difficult to believe that she was only eleven years old.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 04:56 pm
Quote:
It's difficult to believe that she was only eleven years old.

Indeed, from the photos I would have thought she was 14 or so. That may have been of the problems, perhaps her more mature appearance attracted him. I'm not implying any fault was hers. I am implying the guy may have thought that if she was older, her dissapearance might haev gone unnoticed longer.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 05:09 pm
They had the father of a girl that had been abducted and killed some time ago. His comment was the killer should meet old sparky and it should malfunction causing his head to explode. I heartily agree and that is why I hope that capital punishment is never banned in the US. Is it revenge? You bet.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 05:56 pm
OK, I'm going to tick everyone off here again with my "typical" rant.

I think this guy should be tied to a tree and used for long range .22 practice. Her parents can unload the first clip.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 05:56 pm
You know, folks. I saw Joseph's mug shot on the news tonight. Quite frankly, he didn't appear to look like the guy on the video.

I'm not trying to be morbid here, but I can't help wondering what went through that child's mind. I hope her faith served her, as so often is the case at the moment of departure....and I hear Peter Jennings in the background..a cameo wedged between other happenings including NASCAR...sheeeeeeze.

Hobit, I know that her age shouldn't matter, nor her appearance, but we just wonder about stuff, I think. Some judge made a stupid comment about a woman who had been raped. He said something like "Why would anyone want to rape her. She's not exactly beach material." Might reconsider capital punishment for him...

au, sorry. I simply don't support capital punishment. We can never solve anything by taking a life in exchange for a life. Have you ever, in your experience, seen an eye for an eye clear up the problems of the world?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 05:59 pm
Rather he looks like the guy on the film or not, he will be likely be punished for it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 06:00 pm
Nope, cj. You haven't ticked anyone off here, my friend.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 06:04 pm
Letty
Capital punishment is not meant to clear up the problems of the world. It is to mete out the deserved punishment. I would go even further if and when it is established beyond a doubt that they have the killer the appeals process should be waived and he should be executed as soon as humanly possible. I will say again there is nothing wrong with revenge.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 06:04 pm
hobit, and that's why those in charge must proceed cautiously.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 06:15 pm
Well, Au, I could quote scripture, but I won't.<smile>. suffice it to say, that our children are us, and we don't behave with cool, detached mind when something so terrible has befallen them. I know that Noddy didn't agree with the source of the quote: "When we have children, they become hostages to fate." but that doesn't matter who said it, it is quite true.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 06:26 pm
Letty
If your aim was to confuse you have succeeded. Hang the bastard. That is from my scripture, called payback.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 06:34 pm
I hope that, if you are ever accused of something, the response is the same. Mad
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 06:38 pm
Hobitbob
We are not talking about accusations we are talking about proof beyond doubt.
Mixing apples with onions again?
0 Replies