Florida's Stand your Ground law

farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 05:31 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
WE still have the right to live in a FREE COUNTRY, anyway!!!

I generally agree, we differ mightily in how you define that. PEople who dont carry also have the same rights. If you are trying to make an argument for how we are a better country because of unfettered gun ownership and use, youre going about it in a weird way. I think someone like Roger makes a better case. WHile he seems for gun ownership and use fro protection, I dont see him jumping up to your defense every time you set your hair on fire and scream for how gun brandishment correlates to "freedom".
We have lotsa cops in the US that would affirm that youre outta your mind.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 06:28 am
@farmerman,
DAVID wrote:
WE still have the right to live in a FREE COUNTRY, anyway!!!
farmerman wrote:
I generally agree, we differ mightily in how you define that.
PEople who dont carry also have the same rights.
Yea, everyone has the right to carry,
because government has been deprived by its Constitution,
its essence, from having any jurisdiction in that.

farmerman wrote:
If you are trying to make an argument for how we are a better country because of unfettered gun ownership and use, youre going about it in a weird way. I think someone like Roger makes a better case. WHile he seems for gun ownership and use fro protection, I dont see him jumping up to your defense every time you set your hair on fire and scream for how gun brandishment correlates to "freedom".
Freedom is the opposite of jurisdiction.
The more freedom there is, the less jurisdiction there is.

farmerman wrote:
We have lotsa cops in the US that would affirm that youre outta your mind.
How many of them r psychiatric diagnosticians ?????

David
msolga

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 06:37 am
@farmerman,
Thank you very much for that post, farmer.
It puts things more into perspective (for me, anyway, who hasn't ever lived with anything like these gun laws.)
To a complete outsider the "Stand your Ground" law doesn't make too much sense at all, potentially creating more problems than any it might actually "solve". It almost sounds like something from the wild west!
It is hard to believe that an organization like the NRA carries so much power & influence over your government/s. Very frightening, contemplating the idea of an organisation advocating gun ownership holding so much power & influence.
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 06:45 am
@msolga,
yep it does. We are a nation pretty much run by the gun manufactrers and the teachers unions Wink
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 06:51 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Thank you very much for that post, farmer.
It puts things more into perspective
(for me, anyway, who hasn't ever lived with anything like these gun laws.)
Really?? I was under the impression that until a few years ago,
Austrailia was still a free country.

msolga wrote:
To a complete outsider the "Stand your Ground" law doesn't make too much sense at all,
I see; u wanna protect the violent criminal from his victim.
We don 't all agree with that.

msolga wrote:
potentially creating more problems than any it might actually "solve".
It only defends every citizen's natural right to fight back, if he is attacked.

msolga wrote:
It almost sounds like something from the wild west!
It is hard to believe that an organization like the NRA carries so
much power & influence over your government/s.
Its just the defense of future victims from violent predators.

msolga wrote:
Very frightening,
contemplating the idea of an organisation advocating gun ownership
holding so much power & influence.
Yes; violent felons interviewed in prisons
have agreed that thay are terrified of armed victims
and what the victims will eagerly DO to them.

David
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 07:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

David
That's what the old Greeks called ἀναρχίᾱ (anarchíā, "anarchy").
msolga

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 07:03 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Well David, unlike you, I don't believe that carrying a gun at all times "for protection" makes a person more "free" than not even having to contemplate carrying one.
In fact, I believe quite the opposite.
It's terrific not having to even consider owning a gun to feel "safe" ! Smile
msolga

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 07:25 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
We are a nation pretty much run by the gun manufactrers and the teachers unions Wink

Scary, the gun manufactures part, farmer.
As for being run by the teachers unions, too ....... Laughing
Fat chance, hey?
0 Replies

EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 07:26 am
@jcboy,
I still have a copy of your infamous email about the shaved headed Puerto Rican and a few others. Personally I think the one about locking your gates to keep the rednecks out of your yard was the one that got you booted off the email list. Just sayin Wink
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 08:57 am
@Walter Hinteler,

OmSigDAVID wrote:
David
Walter Hinteler wrote:
That's what the old Greeks called ἀναρχίᾱ (anarchíā, "anarchy").
Yes. It might not be wise to go quite that far, but near there.

David
parados

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 08:57 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

, it's the first case I've ever read about in which a CC weapon was apparently misused.

You don't read much then.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 09:00 am
@msolga,
Before I owned a gun for the first time,
I felt unsafe; like I coud not control a predatory situation.

That feeling ended, when I got one.

David
FreeDuck

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 09:35 am
Who'd like to wager on whether Zimmerman will be able to be found if/when charges are brought? Reports say he already moved out of the neighborhood. He could be anywhere by now.
panzade

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 10:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Before I owned a gun for the first time,
I felt unsafe; like I coud not control a predatory situation.

That feeling ended, when I got one.

We know that Dave. It's the sum total of your posts.
But why do you think everyone should share your paranoia?
DrewDad

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 10:03 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Trayvon, going about his lawful business, should be free from interference.
I challenge u on that.
I invite u to prove that. I don 't think u can.
I expect u to brush me off because that is all u can do.

He certainly has the right not to be assaulted.

Quote:
In common law, assault is the tort of acting intentionally, that is with either general or specific intent, causing the reasonable apprehension of an immediate harmful or offensive contact. Because assault requires intent, it is considered an intentional tort, as opposed to a tort of negligence. Actual ability to carry out the apprehended contact is not necessary.

Tell me that you think Zimmerman didn't knowingly try to scare the crap out of the "******* coon" who dared to walk in his neighborhood.

RABEL222

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 10:43 am
@msolga,
You will be attacked but pay no attention to the gun nuts. You are ******* with their right to kill what ever they want when ever they want. Its the rule of the west, but in this day and age the cowboys usually want their antagionasts unarmed so they cant shoot back.
Irishk

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 10:54 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:
Who'd like to wager on whether Zimmerman will be able to be found if/when charges are brought? Reports say he already moved out of the neighborhood. He could be anywhere by now.
His attorney has said he's in hiding because of death threats, and that even he doesn't know his location.

I'm more concerned over what will happen if there's a decision to not indict him since the grand jury could go either way. Between now and when their decision is made public, tensions in that area will only continue to escalate and I'm hoping whichever way they decide, calmer heads will prevail.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 10:54 am
@FreeDuck,
I wondered if his whereabouts are being monitored too, FD (good to see you, btw). Joe Nation posted something about this case on his FB wall yesterday (specifically about Obama weighing in). My FL-residing sister saw my comments and jumped into the conversation. I disagreed with most of what she was saying (nothing new there), but she did explain that the Stand Your Ground law was primarily written to allow commercial business owners (stores, gas stations, etc) to arm themselves and defend themselves against armed robberies - something I wasn't aware of. She did agree with me, however, that there's no understanding the rationale about not arresting Zimmerman.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 12:43 pm
@JPB,
According to the cops he, Zimmerman, was the only witness left alive so they had to take his word as to what happened.
roger

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 12:48 pm
@RABEL222,
It doesn't follow that they have to take his word for anything, just because he's the only living witness. I've no idea what the 'cops' actually said, but the two statements don't relate to each other at all.