Janet Jackson breast exposed during halftime show

hobitbob

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:22 pm
have you guys seen this?
Class Action Lawsuit Filed In The Name Of Prudery
Quote:
Janet Jackson's Breast Exposure Triggers Suit

CHICAGO (Reuters) - A Tennessee woman has sued Janet Jackson and others involved in her breast-baring Super Bowl halftime show, saying millions of people are owed monetary damages for exposure to lewd conduct, court records showed on Friday.

The suit, filed earlier this week in federal court in Knoxville, Tennessee, also names pop star Justin Timberlake, who performed with Jackson, CBS Broadcasting Inc., show producer MTV Networks Enterprises Inc., and the parent of those two companies, Viacom Inc. .

CBS and Viacom said they had no comment on the filing.

The action seeks a court order to prevent anything like last Sunday's stunt from being repeated on U.S. network television prior to 10 p.m. local time when children might be watching.

It also asks the court to declare the matter a class action for purposes of damages. No dollar figure is mentioned in the suit, but it estimates that over 80 million U.S. viewers might be due compensation. CBS has said the game drew an average viewership of just under 89.6 million people. Advertising during the game sold for more than $2 million a spot.

The suit states that the ultimate compensatory damage figure, should a jury decide to grant damages, should be no higher than what the parties being sued made out of participating in and airing the Super Bowl and its halftime show.

If additional punitive damages are granted, it adds, they should be no higher than the "gross annual revenues of each defendant for the last three years..."

Those figures would probably run into the billions of dollars, according to the Smoking Gun, a Web site that first published the court papers.

During the halftime show Timberlake tore off half of Jackson's black leather bustier, exposing her right breast, while the two were singing a duet.

Jackson took the blame but said "it was not my intention that it go as far as it did."

CBS has already said it would use an "enhanced delay" on its Feb. 8 broadcast of music's Grammy Awards so it can censor both audio and video as needed, and ABC also said it will use a delay on its Feb. 29 broadcast of the Academy Awards.

The suit says the defendants knew the broadcast would be watched by millions of families with children but they "included in the halftime show sexually explicit acts solely designed to garner publicity and ultimately to increase profits for themselves. The suit mentions the breast exposure but also says the show in general contained "other lewd and sexually explicit conduct."

The law firm handling the suit issued a statement on Friday saying that neither the woman who filed it, Terri Carlin, nor her attorney, Wayne Ritchie, would comment. "The issue here is accountability and not more publicity," it said.

Thank you, whoever you are, for helping the US retain our status as the laughing stock of the world. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:24 pm
She did have a point, didn't she, hbg. Lessee, I am not for censorship, in fact I decry, hear me, decry, now there's a word I never use, the weak dribbles that we see on our tvs - except that I don't even watch much anymore - but if the tough material I would like to see on tv were there, I would like some categorization, so a parent or hey, anybody, could have a clue about their clicking destination. Some parents who think boob shows are a negative thought they were protected from such a sight.

I can see an obvious reaction being a advertising product boycott. And then I can see the advertisers twitching around in their ergonomic seating.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:32 pm
I can't believe people are still talking about Janet Jacksons breast almost a week later Smile That's one famous breast now...

If it was a publicity stunt though, it definitely backfired. She's going to loose a lot of money over it. on the other hand if it was an accident, which I doubt, it's a shame the way she's being punished...

I have no objections to the 5 minute delay that they are going to impose on live events though. I think it's a good idea. It'll prevent people from freaking out over little things like this in the future.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:40 pm
kjvtrue wrote:
Quote:
ehBeth wrote:
I've got boobs and I'm not afraid to use 'em.
Another woman, whom doesn't respect her body.

kjv - you do realize that you're in no position to make any kind of judgment about whether or not I respect my body?
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:43 pm
people like him or her ehbeth only care about forcing their opinions down our throat or condeming us for having other opinions than theirs.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:43 pm
This has gotten so wild, right here on this thread
Unbelievable.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:53 pm
"Thank you, whoever you are, for helping the US retain our status as the laughing stock of the world."

It IS pretty funny, in a sick kind of way - only, (I hope very much, still) in America - but you got really good competition for THAT title!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 10:11 pm
cjhsa, let me get this straight. If you had your druthers...every house in america would be armed to the teeth, then you'd feel safe, but your afraid to let one single boob in your home.

Priorities.........
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 10:14 pm
we just put our BOOBs in the whitehouse...LOL
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 10:27 pm
This is getting like the Big End/Little End thing in Lilliput...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 10:35 pm
kjvtrue wrote:
Quote:
ehBeth wrote:
I've got boobs and I'm not afraid to use 'em.
Another woman, whom doesn't respect her body.

You know, there are a lot of things I'd love to say to you right now, but I don't want to be banned from my favorite site. It is very rare that I have such a hard time biting my tongue and what I'd give to just let loose.

In case you didn't know, we were all born naked and if you want to walk around being ashamed of your body, then that's your choice, but don't go around insulting people simply because they don't have your self righteous homophobic attitude!!!
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 11:00 pm
right on Sister Friend!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 11:14 pm
Go Montana!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 11:23 pm
Odd to see the very same kjvtrue asking - er - odd questions about her/his breast in other threads......hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 11:49 pm
I wonder if Janet's breast got cold too. Maybe kjv should ask her what to do with her cold breasts.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 12:01 am
Stop it I am trying to play a nice game of bridge on line and spewing diet soda everywhere..LOL
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 12:02 am
willow_tl wrote:
Stop it I am trying to play a nice game of bridge on line and spewing diet soda everywhere..LOL
ROTFLMAO!!
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 12:04 am
wilso I am going to hell if only to get away from these fanatical christians...:-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 12:04 am
Sorry Willow. I'll try to stop, but I can't make any promises ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 12:15 am
Here's kjvtrue's breast thread in case anyone is wondering what we're talking about.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=551328#551328
0 Replies