Italian Cruise Ship Disaster

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 06:56 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

It's been posted about since page 4 of this thread, and has been referenced on other threads as well.

Your final sentence seems a reasonable conclusion.

So no post number to document your assertion.....figures. I am not aware of it before now being mentioned that the company says that they would never approved comming closer that 500 meters, but that in the past ships have come with in 230 meters, something that management could not help but to be aware of because of gps tracking records. If you ever do find that this has been mentioned on a2k please show me where. Till then I will assume that I am right t hat it has not been.
Ceili

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 07:17 pm
# 4,865,025
There's the post no, posted by firefly. Now look it up and suck it.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 07:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
.. Do you even read the other people's posts before posting your own drivel?

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 08:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
You don't know how to get to the earlier pages of the thread?
Rockhead

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 08:41 pm
@ehBeth,
no, he doesn't know how to admit he might have been wrong...
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 09:11 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I looked through this thread and found nothing, I have not looked through all of a2k. Lots has been said about boats going close to shore, but I am not aware of anyone else besides me pointed out that the company has been caught in a lie about boats going too close to shore....this is a new subject.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 09:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

I looked through this thread and found nothing, I have not looked through all of a2k. Lots has been said about boats going close to shore, but I am not aware of anyone else besides me pointed out that the company has been caught in a lie about boats going too close to shore....this is a new subject.

BULLSHIT!!!
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2012 09:20 pm
http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/story/2012-01-26/Question-loom-over-Costa-Concordia-disaster/52808568/1?csp=34news

Questions loom over Costa Concordia disaster

By Bart Jansen, USA TODAYUpdated 3

Why the cruise ship Costa Concordia capsized remains a mystery to world maritime and salvage experts two weeks after the tragedy that left 16 people dead and 16 still missing.

The state-of-the-art ship carrying 4,200 passengers and crew struck rocks off Italy's Tuscan island of Giglio on Jan. 13, opening a 160-foot hole in its side.

Experts on ships and salvage have questions about how that tear turned into the worst cruise ship disaster of recent times. Chief among them:

•Why did the ship partially sink? Modern cruise ships are designed to remain afloat even after two of their water-tight compartments are breached, says Richard Pellew, who inspects cruise ships for the United Kingdom's Maritime and Coastguard Agency.

If the gash exposed three compartments or if the crew didn't properly seal them, he and others say, flooding could have spread and capsized the vessel.

"Any vessel that has such a collision could lose the game if response actions by the crew failed or were unorganized," says Anthony Davis, a retired Coast Guard officer .

•Why did the ship roll on its right, or starboard side, when the gash in vessel was on the left, or port, side? In addition to a possible failure of the water-tight compartments, wind, currents and maneuvering of the ship could tilt the wounded vessel away from the damage, says Dracos Vassalos, professor of maritime safety at Britain's University of Strathclyde.

"The internal architecture of cruise ships is so complex that even with the same effects being accounted for in say experiments, computer simulations or indeed in real life accidents, we could potentially see a different outcome every time we simulate the accident," Vassalos says.

•Why did the captain, Francesco Schettino, run the ship aground after it was breached? Maritime experts say that's a captain's judgment call, based on how fast water is coming aboard.

Even so, the grounding raises the question of whether the Costa Concordia was that gravely imperiled or could have waited for a tow to port.

"That's not an unusual maneuver," T. Black Powell, president of JMS Naval Architects & Salvage Engineers in Mystic, Conn., says of grounding. "Typically, you're not going to do that, though, unless you've determined that the ship is lost and it's going to sink."

The ship's severe tilt after being run aground complicated the evacuation because lifeboats couldn't be lowered from one side of the ship.

"The ship listed and was inclined to a degree that didn't enable us to use boats at the side of the ship," Pier Luigi Foschi, chief executive of Costa Cruises, told reporters Jan. 16. "The fact that the ship was listing created a very difficult situation."

The answers to these crucial questions about the Costa Concordia disaster may not be known until information from the ship's so-called black box of voyage data is released by Italian prosecutors, maritime experts say.

For example, if the black box recorded orders to close water-tight compartments, that could signal that the compartments hadn't been closed beforehand as they should be for shallow-water navigation.

Maritime experts say it's unclear when information from the black box will be released because Italian prosecutors are pursuing criminal charges against Schettino. The case must be resolved before any accident investigation would begin.

There's been conflicting information about Schettino's actions. However, he told prosecutors Jan. 17 that after striking the rocks he continued maneuvering the ship, before grounding the ship on a submerged reef.

The ultimate findings are likely to spur greater safety precautions, which some experts say are needed.

"Considering the number of individuals that are being carried, certainly this should be a shot across the bow that things need to change," says Jim Hall, former chairman of the National Transportation Safety Board, which investigates maritime disasters in the USA.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 05:23 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
What a nightmare for the people aboard this ship.

The number of significant negligent errors made by the captain of this vessel that caused and contributed to the deaths and injuries of those on the ship, and which resulted in mind-boggling property destruction, is almost beyond belief.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the captain.

This is happening in Italy, after all, so just because there are a bunch of media reports saying "someone did something wrong", that doesn't mean that any of those reports have even a grain of truth to them.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 06:24 pm
@oralloy,
Except for the fact that they have a taped recording between the coast guard and the captain.
oralloy

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 10:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Except for the fact that they have a taped recording between the coast guard and the captain.

This is Italy. Fabricating "evidence" against innocent people is their national pastime.

How do you know the tape is legit?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 01:16 am
@oralloy,
How do you know it isn't? If they "fake it," who do you think will be in trouble? You get one guess.
oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 01:35 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
How do you know it isn't?

It's Italy. Faking "evidence" against innocent people is their national pastime.

That's a pretty good reason to discount any supposed "evidence" they put forth.

cicerone imposter wrote:
If they "fake it," who do you think will be in trouble? You get one guess.

Probably no one. It would just be business as usual in Italy.

I really wouldn't expect the Italian people to suddenly decide that it is wrong to concoct fake evidence. It's just not who they are.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 01:52 am
Quote:
Francesco Verusio, the chief prosecutor in the case, said Ms Cemortan's testimony would be key in establishing exactly what happened on the bridge that night and whether the captain was distracted – as claimed by some of his officers.
"There are many witnesses and each one will offer their point of view," Mr Verusio said. "We're comparing all the different versions to see how they fit together." Electronic data recovered from the ship's black box would also be vital, he said.
Ms Cemortan is not accused of any offence. Capt Schettino is under house arrest at his home in Meta di Sorrento, near Naples, and faces charges of manslaughter and abandoning his ship ahead of passengers and crew members.
He could face at least 12 years in prison.
Passengers claim to have seen and photographed a young blonde woman resembling Ms Cemortan eating dinner and sharing a decanter of red wine with him less than 40 minutes before the collision happened.
Ms Cemortan had worked for Costa Cruises as a dancer and passenger rep, but she was on the week-long cruise as a guest.
It has been reported that she did not have her own cabin. La Repubblica newspaper offered an explanation for the unusual arrangement when it claimed that some of the former dancer's belongings were found in Capt Schettino's cabin, suggesting that they were sharing

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9056642/Costa-Concordia-Moldovan-dancer-says-she-was-in-love-with-Captain-Schettino.html

http://fandaily.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Domnica-Cemortan-francesco-schettino-blonde-at-bridge-costa-concordia-image2.jpg

Concordia's captain, Francesco Schettino, had sent an email just weeks before the Jan. 13 disaster to another captain who had managed to sound his ship's horn from closer than the eight kilometres considered safe.
In that email, Schettino vowed to pull the same stunt and do it better, according to Italian investigative journalist Carlo Bonini, one of several people interviewed in a special report on the wreck of the Concordia that will air Friday night on TheFifth Estate.
"So, I think it was … this sort of a challenge among captains, a sort of a secret challenge among captains," Bonini told the Fifth Estate's Bob McKeown.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/concordia-passengers-experts-dissect-cruise-ship-disaster-080213433.html

Where the **** are the companies in all this, where they seem not not know that their captains are getting tipsy an playing chicken with Islands as they try to impress the young sluts they have brought aboard?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 02:10 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Quote:
Francesco Verusio, the chief prosecutor in the case, said Ms Cemortan's testimony would be key in establishing exactly what happened on the bridge that night and whether the captain was distracted – as claimed by some of his officers.
"There are many witnesses and each one will offer their point of view," Mr Verusio said. "We're comparing all the different versions to see how they fit together." Electronic data recovered from the ship's black box would also be vital, he said.
Ms Cemortan is not accused of any offence. Capt Schettino is under house arrest at his home in Meta di Sorrento, near Naples, and faces charges of manslaughter and abandoning his ship ahead of passengers and crew members. [Well, he probably went down with his ship, as far as it woud GO. Maybe he got bored, when it did not go any deeper. David]
He could face at least 12 years in prison.
Passengers claim to have seen and photographed a young blonde woman resembling Ms Cemortan eating dinner and sharing a decanter of red wine with him less than 40 minutes before the collision happened.
Ms Cemortan had worked for Costa Cruises as a dancer and passenger rep, but she was on the week-long cruise as a guest.
It has been reported that she did not have her own cabin. La Repubblica newspaper offered an explanation for the unusual arrangement when it claimed that some of the former dancer's belongings were found in Capt Schettino's cabin, suggesting that they were sharing
[She was probably just teaching him how to DANCE,
on his own time. I hope she's OK. David]
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 02:12 am

Maybe he coud sound the horn again,
to show how close he was to the island.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 09:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Concordia's captain, Francesco Schettino, had sent an email just weeks before the Jan. 13 disaster to another captain who had managed to sound his ship's horn from closer than the eight kilometres considered safe.
In that email, Schettino vowed to pull the same stunt and do it better, according to Italian investigative journalist Carlo Bonini, one of several people interviewed in a special report on the wreck of the Concordia that will air Friday night on TheFifth Estate.
"So, I think it was … this sort of a challenge among captains, a sort of a secret challenge among captains," Bonini told the Fifth Estate's Bob McKeown.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/concordia-passengers-experts-dissect-cruise-ship-disaster-080213433.html

The trouble is, how do we know the alleged email is real?

Like I said before, Italy likes to falsify "evidence" against innocent people.

I mean, if a civilized country were invited to come in and run the investigation, that would be one thing.

But you'll never get to the truth with Italy in charge. All they're going to do it craft a bunch of fake evidence against the captain, and have the media trumpet his supposed guilt.

No thanks. Count me out of Italy's third-world witch hunts.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 09:06 pm
@oralloy,
False information about an individual is libel, and can be sued for defamation of character.
oralloy

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 09:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
False information about an individual is libel, and can be sued for defamation of character.

Maybe in a civilized nation. But in Italy, the innocent are expected to just accept being framed.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2012 09:37 pm
@oralloy,
Is that so? And they belong in the European Union and the Euro? LOL